Super Mario Land - Overworld Theme Electro

Ganaé

Source is there. I blame Brentalfloss for exposing me to this source. There's some nice melodic variations to it, and the overall arrangement has a nice flow to it. A few slightly awkward transitions and a fairly simple dynamic structure to it, but nothing really problematic there.

However, the sound design is too simplistic, a bit random at times, and doesn't sound like Electro at all. There's a whole bunch of silly voice clips in there too, that are just annoying. I know I'm biased against voice clips, sound effects and stuff like that, but I can recognize when they're used tastefully, even if they annoy me. Here, they're not used tastefully.

Even if you go for a simplistic sound, be more consistent about it. Don't give one track huge amounts of processing while leaving others bare. Obviously, some synths need different amounts of processing to fit wit the rest, but when the overall sound varies between raw and simple oldschool synths and much more advanced software synth patches with reverbs and filtering and things. Make your sounds fit together. That's what mixing is all about.

There's some nice instrument choices here. I keep being reminded of some instrument from somewhere, possibly the soundtrack from Cities in Motion or Cities: Skylines, by one of your leads. That's cool. There's a lot of cool sounds in here, but they don't quite fit together. Sort out what sound you're going for, and focus on getting everything else to mesh with that.

Why does the snare come in at 0:25 only to disappear 4 seconds later?

The drums are repetitive, the bass drum seems to loop through the whole track. I don't particularly mind, since some tracks just work well on top of a simple foundation like that. But it's worth bearing in mind that there are things you can do to vary the drums even if the core element, the bass drum, is the same throughout. More fills and frills, so long as they don't mess with the overall style you're going for.

The ending needs work. A fadeout might actually for this track.

Easy no. But the arrangement, the most difficult element of a mix, it works. Getting the sound design and the other small things in order should make this good enough for the panel. I don't think you should try to make this into Electro, since your arrangement doesn't seem to fit, but that's not my decision to make.

Nice work. Not yet ready for submission imo.