OCR01508 - Castlevania III "Froggy Mosh"

djpretzel

I love the cheesy opening! And the fact that the same instrument carries through. Is it an organ? No idea.

Actually, it gives the entire track a playful feel, which is unusual for most Unchosen Paths material. Not that that's a bad thing.

Love the solo around 1:45.

Quiet section is ... actually a bit disturbing. Makes you expect some giant explosion of sound. Which comes in around 3:10.

Also, ends on a cool frantic pace.

It's no Creeping Dusk or Scourge of 1691, but this is still an awesome track, and worthy not just of OCR, but also of Unchosen Paths.

I love the cheesy opening! And the fact that the same instrument carries through. Is it an organ? No idea.

That would be a harpsichord.

This is probably my personal favorite track from goat's Unchosen Paths project. It's surprisingly fun and light-hearted in a way, which is a great counterpoint to the looming darkness/evil feeling most Castlevania music (and a good number of the songs on Unchosen Paths, consequently) represents. My favorite part is the clean electric break at 2:56: It really makes a good bridge into the uptempo ending that rocks my face. Great stuff, goat!

Very nice to see goat seeing through Unchosen Paths to its close completion, and keeping a consistent quality throughout. While the longer medlies of the album are quite the awesome, listening on repeat doesn't come as easy to them as to the shorter ditties like Froggy Mosh. I'm loving it for the same reason as all other of Chris' work- so well played, so much power.

I thought it was really weird at first, but eventually I understood the kind of production that this song has, and the melodies all clicked together. I can't really notice anything that sounds like a bad sample, like djp mentioned. Slowly becoming a really decent unorthodox song.

Here's more of Goat doing what Goat does best... heavy rock! I'm a bit biased towards this sort of thing since it's one of my two favourite genres.

When it comes to Goat... the samples may not be the highest quality, but that hardly matters when it all just sounds so good!

It's really quite simple... rock fans will love it, those who don't much like rock will probably look away from it. :P

What can I say? I've listened to a few of Goat's submissions before. But not having listened to them for a while, I've forgoten his style.

I downloaded this expecting to be another mindless head banging heavy metal that's going to give me a headache. Instead, I love the song right away. The intro build up was awesome and kept that nice nercoslaying theme with the right ammount of rock.

Look forward to your next one.

Not goat's best. Samples here are bad.

Go to goat's site and get all of his other stuff - amazing stuff. This "Froggy Mosh" not so much.

http://www.powergoat.com/

Yeah, he should probably just start using Kompakt presets for every track he does from here on out. :roll:

Ha! Clearly, he might as well just threaten to pull all of his mixes off the site due to the criticism. :lol:

Go to goat's site and get all of his other stuff - amazing stuff. This "Froggy Mosh" not so much.

Yeah, he should probably just start using Kompakt presets for every track he does from here on out. :roll:

Ha! Clearly, he might as well just threaten to pull all of his mixes off the site due to the criticism. :lol:

While he's at it, he could start shoveling out critiques based on a subject he knows virtually nothing about! :idea:

While he's at it, he could start shoveling out critiques based off of a subject he knows virtually nothing about! :idea:

Better start paying for lessons with Vivaldi now. Need to gain some street cred around here. :lol:

With a very critical eye, because I love the track and composition:

Samples (comparatively to goat) suck - everything sounds very synthetic, which means it's better than about 96% of the things that get entered to OCR. The percussion set sounds like it was overused and overemphasized, as well.

I agree with all of you, plus the fact that this sounds completely not live and really would benefit from adding some things - a concert audience background, more dynamic contrast, etc.

Aside from that, I don't believe that I've heard very many remixes of this particular track and it's something fresh for me as a Castlevaniator from way back (not really).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Lead tone was overly muffled, but it's clear Goat knows his way around the Castlevania world, trusty axe in hand, rocking those skeletons to dust. The drum sound seemed a little overly canned, and some of the synths seemed a little forced (that weird sweeping one near the beginning that was way loud and treble heavy in particular), but the guitar performances were good.

Not my favorite Goat mix, but it has some cool moments.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01508 - Castlevania III "Froggy Mosh"