CastleMania - A Castlevania/Pro Wrestling Concept Album

MindWanderer

To quote DarkeSword's original pitch for the album:

CastleMania is an album of Castlevania remixes done in the style of pro-wrestler intro tracks. You know how all those wrestlers in the WWE have their own walk-in music? I want an album of remixes that casts Castlevania characters like Simon Belmont and Alucard as pro-wrestlers with their own entrance tracks.

Here are a couple of YouTube playlists with examples of entrances and theme songs.  Also here are some sample diva theme songs for female wrestlers.

You may notice that the presentation isn't just a song and a walk-on when the wrestler is introduced at an event.  There's usually an introduction of some kind: sometimes a different piece of music, sometimes some kind of cheesy action sequence, sometimes just commentator banter.  So we'll be making two different versions of this album: One "clean" version with just the wrestler themes, and one "event" version with all that extra stuff.  This means that if you want to compose a short intro remix (30-90 seconds) to go with your main mix, that's an option--and an interesting chance to work with a very short source and a total lack of transition.

• Director: MindWanderer
  • Co-Director: Chernabogue

Check-In Dates:

1. July 31, 2016
  2. Nov. 20, 2016
  3. April 15, 2017
  4. July 15, 2017
  5. Sept. 30, 2017
  6. March 31, 2018

ReMixers

First, we need ReMixers!  Specifically, we need remixers who can produce songs that would work as wrestler intros.  There's a fairly wide range of potential genres, but they're all loud, powerful, energetic, and epic.  The playlists linked above are non-exhaustive examples you can use as a starting point.

Tracklist

Ultimately, I'd like to have an equal number of "faces" (heroes) and "heels" (villains and monsters).  Some monsters come in pairs (The Creature and Igor, the Mummies), and if we use any of them, each one should have a corresponding tag team of heroes; this can either be a mashup of two character themes, or a single theme that covers two characters (e.g. John Morris and Eric Lecarde of Castlevania Bloodlines).  Villain/monster mashups are also possible, counting as a tag team.  Same thing goes for female characters: each female hero should be paired with a female villain.  We can work all that when it gets close to the end, though.

Here's my wish list of wrestlers, along with suggestions as to theme music.  The specific music source for each isn't necessarily set in stone, but it's my opinion as to what the most appropriate choice for them would be.  If you'd like to go in a different direction, I'd love to hear it!

Must Have:

Other Suggestions:

Closing Song/Second Theme Song: I Am the Wind (Vocals required)

Heels, Male/Neuter:

Heels, Female:

Faces, Male:

Faces, Female:

Tag Teams: 

Legend:

• Available
  • Claimed
  • Early WIP
  • Substantial WIP
  • Complete draft
  • Final WAV

So far we have a lot of rock/metal represented, and I'm not sure how many of those will include vocals (highly recommended), and just one confirmed rap.  I'd also really like at least one Mexican-inspired remix (making one wrestler a luchador), one orchestral remix, and at least one explicit tribute to Xavier Woods (which includes funk, rap, and even EDM).  Female wrestlers' themes are typified by female vocalists, either rap or heavily autotuned.  More rap would also be great.

Posted or accepted-to-be-posted remixers can just make a claim and dive right in.  Anyone else, I'll need an audition of your most best, most appropriate work for the style we're looking for.

Collaboration Resource List

Anyone interested in collaborating, let me know what you want to do and I'll put you on the list.  Electric guitarists and vocalists are especially needed.

Voice Actors

For the "event" version of the album, we'll need some voice actors.  At the very least, we'll need 3: an announcer and two commentators.  The wrestlers can, optionally, have monologues during their own songs, or dialogues with their opponents.  We'll recruit for these when all music is at least at the substantial WIP stage

Mastering

Kind of goes without saying, but not without doing.  Somewhat more involved in this than in most albums, since this person will be responsible for layering on the voiceovers and any audience effects.

Art

In addition to front and back cover art, I'd really like to have character art of each of the wrestlers.  My personal vision is that none of the wrestlers actually be monsters, just actors dressed up like them, or even just vaguely related to them thematically.  Real pro wrestling has wrestlers like "The Rock," "The Snake," and even "Boogeyman," so having monster names seems perfectly appropriate.

Edited by MindWanderer
ibeginwiththeendinmind completion

19 hours ago, nitrozsz said:

I'd be interested in hearing more about how one can be a voice actor for this project. I've done a little voice acting here and there, and I know a few other voice actors (pro and amateur alike) if you'd be interested in that as well.

This will be fairly late in the project. Music comes first, at least most of it. I'll be sure to reach out to you when we get closer, though!

12 hours ago, Chernabogue said:

Dibs on Dracula à la John Cena!

Done! Will you be doing rap?

9 hours ago, Yami said:

Why doesn't Alucard have "The Tragic Prince"? I always thought the title referred to him and it would fit

Chernabogue's right, both are valid, but Dracula's Castle is used in Castlevania: Judgement and is slightly better known, so that's what I put down at first. I'll add The Tragic Prince as an option, though. Of course, I'm a sucker for mashups....

I just thought of a really sick idea for Trevor Belmont vaguely in the style of Hulk Hogan's theme with cheesy 80's guitar riffs. Probably wouldn't have much time to get a WIP together in the next month or two though because I'm pretty overcommitted to other OCR albums. Definitely interested in collaborating though :)

I'm primarily an electric guitar player, but can also lay down some bass. Got some DoD entries on my Soundcloud (check my sig) if you're interested. I mostly do metal stuff and I'm pretty n00b when it comes to mixing/production. Most relevant to the type of music I'd expect on this soundtrack though would be this DoD entry I collaborated on from last month, which is super cheesy synth/J-Fusion sounding stuff...actually the exact kind of cheesily epic tune I'd expect for a professional wrestler's theme. 

Seriously this is a pretty genius idea. Love the name "CastleMania"

12 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

Chernabogue's right, both are valid, but Dracula's Castle is used in Castlevania: Judgement and is slightly better known, so that's what I put down at first. I'll add The Tragic Prince as an option, though. Of course, I'm a sucker for mashups....

I've only played Judgement once, so I didn't know this. I'm really thinking about trying this, but I have no idea what's currently used as Wrestling entrances since I've not watched it for two years and the ones I remember are rock and that's something I can't do

On 2/28/2016 at 2:20 AM, Sagnewshreds said:

I just thought of a really sick idea for Trevor Belmont vaguely in the style of Hulk Hogan's theme with cheesy 80's guitar riffs. Probably wouldn't have much time to get a WIP together in the next month or two though because I'm pretty overcommitted to other OCR albums. Definitely interested in collaborating though :)

I'm primarily an electric guitar player, but can also lay down some bass. Got some DoD entries on my Soundcloud (check my sig) if you're interested. I mostly do metal stuff and I'm pretty n00b when it comes to mixing/production. Most relevant to the type of music I'd expect on this soundtrack though would be this DoD entry I collaborated on from last month, which is super cheesy synth/J-Fusion sounding stuff...actually the exact kind of cheesily epic tune I'd expect for a professional wrestler's theme. 

Seriously this is a pretty genius idea. Love the name "CastleMania"

"I Am a Real Wallachian," maybe?  I like that idea!  I can definitely hear it come together in my head, and I can certainly wait a couple of months if you'd like to take point on it.  Or if you'd like to hit up one of your DoD collaborators to do so, that would be great too--that entry has kind of a weak lead, but if you put in vocals instead, it would be pretty darn solid.  If your productions skills need help, the WIP forums here are a great place to get that tightened up.

Alternatively (or additionally), your guitar skills are certainly up to snuff.  Perhaps you want to collab with Yami?  It'd still benefit from a vocalist, but I'll bet Yami can handle the arrangement and production if you provide the shreds.

On 2/28/2016 at 3:02 AM, Yami said:

I've only played Judgement once, so I didn't know this. I'm really thinking about trying this, but I have no idea what's currently used as Wrestling entrances since I've not watched it for two years and the ones I remember are rock and that's something I can't do

Yeah, the vast majority are rock or metal.  A decent number are ethnic, orchestral, big brass, or minimalist rap, usually when the wrestler has a very strong theme that ties in to that style of music.  Mostly heels.  However, there are some that are substantially synth:

Or you can find a guitarist, and if necessary a vocalist.  Hopefully I can get a few folks on the collab list you can reach out to.

I have an idea for something I'd really like to see tackled for a secondary theme song, but ideally it would be country western.  I'm sure I can find a guitarist and arranger somewhere, but a singer with a nice Southern drawl is another thing.  I can't recall hearing that anywhere on OCR before.  Anyone know someone who could handle that?

2 hours ago, Brandon Strader said:

My confession: I had 1 Castlevania game growing up, and it was quite late -- Lament of Innocence on PS2. As a result, I'd like to get that. 

Done! Although Death's main theme is also from Lament of Innocence, and Death is one of the 4 characters I really want to get covered. If you'd prefer Leon, though, that's fine, it's an awesome piece of music that I'd be happy to have included.

LoI is actually the only 3D game in the series I ever had, and never quite finished it. 

55 minutes ago, Aster said:

Can I take the following piece of music

It is very flexible musically and I could write a breakdown to it, it's the track I could make sound best.

Absolutely! 

Greetings,

It's a pity I can't afford to commit to make a full track for this project, but since apparently you are in need of electric guitars, I can provide that. My strength is mostly in metal-like styles, but I can play most of the styles if I put in effort. Can write solos/riffs in case the song author is struggling with it.

16 minutes ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

I could give you a pretty rad mix for Shanoa's "Empty Tome"!

Got it!

Selections are getting a little heavy on "faces" (heroes).  Anyone still thinking about diving in, it's be nice if you took a look at the "heel" (villain) list first.

16 hours ago, OA said:

I'll sign up for Alucard (and mix dracula's castle with tragic prince), and Death (Heart of Fire)!

Let me put you down just for Alucard for now.  I'd rather have just one claim per person until they've turned something in.  Also, I'd like to see if anyone wants to tackle Evil's Symphonic Poem, since that's Death's main theme, before falling back onto one of the alternative themes.  There's also a good chance that this fictional event will match Alucard and Death up against one another, and I'd prefer their themes not be by the same remixer.

16 hours ago, Sbeast said:

Hey, can I claim Cross Your Heart for Medusa.

Excellent choice, absolutely!

2 minutes ago, WillRock said:

I'd like to claim Death (Heart Of Fire) Please :)

LOL... well, that's two of my three reasons for not putting OA down for it resolved.  I can't argue too much; while Evil's Symphonic Poem is his official theme, I personally like Heart of Fire a lot more.  (Plus, bending over backwards a little bit to get Will on board?  Totally worth it.)