*NO* Minecraft 'Sleepcraft'

Emunator

Hi DJ Pretzel and colleagues,

I've been following your OC Remix community for many years now, although have not been an active member.

I tought you might want to consider my arrangement of "Sweden" from Minecraft as a contribution to the community. I call it "Sleepcraft" because of the relaxing atmosphere it breathes.

I made it in my home studio using Logic Pro, my keyboard and my digital Roland TDK12 drumset. I really like the piano original but I felt it could be more emotional by making a "band arrangement" out of it. I tried to keep the arrangement "airy" but at the same time add some drama to it.

I've attached the MP3, to my best knowledge it matches your standards.

My name is Ji Sung
My ReMixer name is Tokio Tribute Sessions (I posted previous mixes on YouTube under that name)
e-mail: 

My (newly acquired) user id is: 32554 

I hope you like it.

Thank you for your time!!!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrnWituGHTA

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty neat concept, but overall I think this suffers from being too close to the original source, and too repetitive in the backing parts. The drums are on autopilot, and the arrangement has the same chord progression played the same throughout. There needs to be more variation as a whole, including changing up the melody and backing, making the drums more interesting, and changing up the structure.

NO

Good call by DA and I'm feeling myself in agreement with her.  Arrangement and development really are what's holding this back.  Would like to hear more personalization beyond what we get in the original piano piece.  Some more contrast between the various sections beyond the same chords and feel would be welcome as well.

Production is fairly solid here.  One thing I'd mention is that for such a mellow arrangement, some of the tones are a bit harsh or stick out too much above the other elements.  The snare (in the intro and quieter sections specifically) is one example. Some strong piano notes (:48, 1:07, 1:20, etc) do as well.

Also, I almost always find fadeout endings disappointing :/

It's a good start, just needs some arrangement love :)

NO resubmit, please

Like the overall sound scape of this one, nice production value you have here on your instruments and sound layout. Production wise, there aren't too many issues here, there are some slightly sharp high frequencies here and there but nothing too major. There is also a tiny amount of audible distortion from compression in the busier portions (most noticeable on your drums).

Your biggest issue here is your arrangement, which doesn't progress much from its starting point. I can appreciate you wanting you to pay strong homage to the original track, but we need more you in this mix - some original exploration of the original source tune to new territory is required and would fit in well here. I would start by varying up some of the things you've already got going here (in particular, your drums) and work on weaving some original ideas in. You pretty much have the sound, lets hear you take this further.

NO