Your real name: Hal Binderman
Your website: http://www.soundcloud.com/heavyviper
Your userid: 32639

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Snatcher
Name of arrangement: Acoustic Jam at the Lucifer Alpha
Name of individual song(s) arranged: BIO HAZARD

Additional information about game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snatcher
Link to the original soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhg404vGork (MSX2 ver.)

Comments: I often find myself figuring out melody lines from games during my guitar practice, and recently I managed to figure out this chilling little number. BIO HAZARD is a perfect mood-setter for Snatcher's introduction, in my opinion - ominous and mechanical. After recording a few test racks, I decided to go for an "acoustic jam in a hazy, quiet bar" kind of feel. It only really started coming together when I was about halfway through recording the guitar tracks, with the bass synths and drums laid down as finishing touches. It came off feeling a lot looser and warmer than the original, but I think it retains the characteristic eeriness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhg404vGork

• 3 weeks later...

No need for source tune timestamping, since it's basically 100% source. Pretty straightforward coverage that could have gone more places but was still well-adapted for acoustic guitar, especially the dual lines going on. I liked hearing Hal attempt to adapt some of the more cyber-style writing of the original for guitar, e.g. 1:21-1:42 & 1:45/1:50, and would have enjoyed even more touches like that. Nonetheless, points for an unexpected non-electronic take on Snatcher, it's a pleasant surprise.

YES

Definitely not the style change I would have thought, but it's a pretty fun listen! I felt the opening took some time to really warm up, and maybe a little more arrangement in there might have brought me in sooner, but when things picked up I was enjoying the track. Drums are on autopilot for some sections, and some more work to have them compliment the melody would have been nice, but not a deal breaker.

I do think the track feels a little short due to having a longer intro, and a bit more interpretation might have been a good way to stretch out the track a little. Overall I'm not as solid on my yes as Larry, but I do feel like this is above the bar.

Yes

The additions here are pretty subtle but it's pretty interesting to hear some of the more amelodic elements adapted to guitar. Overall, I thought the arrangement was just interesting enough to work beyond a cover. The rhythm guitar was a little compressed and choppy. Did you use an acoustic pickup? I've noticed they can have that sound sometimes. I think a clean electric would probably sound a little better but it wasn't a dealbreaker. Count me in.

YES

Very interesting soundscape, the dual guitars work very well in tandem with the sparse hats.  Even with the simplistic nature of the arrangement at first, there are many details that keep it from falling into monotony.  The second section is fuller but also brings in some interesting effects on the strumming, although the compression went a bit on the hard side at some spots, it's nothing too bad.  1:20 was a highlight for me, really interesting soundscape, almost kraftwerk-like.  Overall, very creative take on this theme.  It's not just a straight guitar cover, as the artist used the instrument both as the main focus as well as an effect-soundscape generator.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03365 - *YES* Snatcher 'Acoustic Jam at the Lucifer-Alpha'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic