Current OCR Projects Situation: Analysis and Solutions

Chernabogue

First of all, sorry if it is the wrong place to post. I know there's Bahamut's post in R&C but it is rarely updated. Mods, feel free to delete this if it doesn't belong here. I wanted to see what could be done with the various projects. And since anyone can direct a project, I think it's for the best if everyone can talk about it, suggest solutions, and even step up to help. It'd be a shame to have some cool music not released anytime soon because of minor issues. This is also the place to find possible music claims if you want to help a project. So yeah, help an existing project end before starting too many new ones! ;)

Please note my analysis is only based on public projects, official projects (not unofficial ones in R&C) and on what I know -- I will not spoil or say anything related to private projects or other stuff I may know. Here we go! :)

ACTIVE/RECRUITING

CastleMania -- Started a few days ago after Shariq proposed the idea à la Super Cartography Bros. Should be an OCRI album as SCB. Still in recruitment, go and claim tracks here.

Final Fantasy VIII -- Started this year. Still recruiting. Brandon will most likely finish FF3 before working full force on this one.

Secret of Mana -- Restarted in February 2016. Bahamut will probably work hard on this one. Some tracks remain to be claimed, so go ahead!

Paper Mario -- Started a few years ago (around 2011-2012 IIRC). RECKENEFIN wants to complete it, the album recently got official. Some tracks remain to be claimed -- a co-drector/assistant may be welcome as well.

Hometown Heroes -- Restarted in March 2016. Aiming for OCRA quality. Recruiting.

25 Years of Fire Emblem -- Started last year, and recently got its official status (congrats!). A smaller tracklist, with almost-finished tracks and advanced WiPs. I don't think it will be released anytime soon this year (maybe mid/end of next year) as it's still looking for more people (remixers, artists, etc.) Hopefully its official status will contribute to its development!

Final Fantasy III -- Started in 2013. Quite active, Brandon really pushes to get this one completed. I'd say it's halfway through its development, but Brandon handles things quite well. It could be released by the end of next year or early 2018 if everything goes well.

Super Mario RPG: Window of the Stars -- Started in 2013. Close to completion (lots of finished tracks), as the final deadline (Feb 16, 2016) was reached recently. Art seems to be done (or at least started). A few tracks seem to be still open for claims. ToN isn't very active, but DaMonz (project assistant) is, so your best bet is to contact him about it. Pretty sure this one can be completed and released by next year without too much trouble if the staff gets a little more active.

Lawn Party! Plants vs. Zombies -- Started in 2014. Most of the album is close to completion, and Timaeus seems to be quite active about it. Art will be needed in the future. This one can be completed this year (next deadline in April).

Final Fantasy V: The Fabled Warriors -- Started in 2010. Volume II (Water) is done according to Shariq. Production for Volume III (Fire) will mostly start soon-ish. Shariq will handle the rest of the production (and I trust him not to wait until 2020 to release Fire lol).

Lufia II: Of Gods and Men -- Started in 2010 (v2?). Apparently, half of it is done, and Wesley recently said he would finish it this year after a long absence. I trust the man, this one could be out by the end of the year or in early 2017.

LIMBO/INACTIVE

Dragon Warrior / Children of Erdrick -- Started in 2009 (6-7 years ago already -- I had the time to produce the whole VV trilogy by that time lol). No public update for almost two years, despite the will to start it again. Apparently there are already some finished tracks plus a few claims. As it seems the project staff doesn't seem to be active (at least in a public way), it'd be interesting to see someone either take back the reins actively to complete all the music (as Kyle suggested) or simply release a short EP/OCRI album with the finished music.

VROOM: The Best of SEGA Racing -- Started in 2013. Last year, Stevo proposed to release it as a smaller OCRI EP, and that's a perfect suggestion, as there is enough music (and almost finished music) to create something very cool. I don't know how this went this last year. Art is probably a priority for this project now, so step up if you are interested or know someone would could be interested. It shouldn't be too hard to complete that one, and the concept is too excellent to let it go.

Tim Follin: Dirge of the Follin -- Started in 2007 (10th anniversary next year lol? -- It started before I registered I think xD). No real update for quite some time, except comments from Brandon about the project's age. I don't know what Larry intends to do with this project, but releasing a smaller OCRI album would be the easier solution. Stuff like art will probably be needed in the future.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time -- Started in 2012. On hold. As djp said in the last post, the project staff was "more of less okay" on the fact it could be revived under new management. The project is currently in development hell, with no one to direct it. Except if Emunator or Theophany come back, I'd suggest someone (with the project and OCR staff's agreement) takes this project's management. OoT is a BIG name in the VG community, and the line-up so far is quite excellent -- it'd be a shame to see this one die due to inactivity. A lot of work awaits the person(s) who will tackle this one.

FINISHED/RELEASED/SOON-TO-BE OUT

BadAss: Volume III -- The album will be released soon (if you trust djp's cryptic post in the Project thread -- but maybe he's lying because he's badass and evil? ;)).

Chronology: a Jazz Tribute to Chrono Trigger -- Almost complete. Based on what I saw in some MagFest video, it should be released soon-ish this year.

Seiken Densentsu III -- Started in 2008. Apparently, Meteo Xavier and the staff have reached a consensus on the end of its production so it should be out this year if everything goes well.

TL;DR: Google Sheet

Great idea for a thread. I'm sure if it belongs in another forum, mods will move it. Do you plan on maintaining this whenever new projects start or statuses change? Also is there a reason the FF8 album isn't included, or is that because it hasn't moved over to the projects forum yet?

Man I wish I had infinite time so I could try to do stuff for all of these albums. I'm kind of already overcommitted when it comes to doing album tracks though.

Added FFVIII. I forgot to put it there even if I thought about while typing my wall of text. I don't know what will happen to this thread but if it needs updating, then why not. I just want things to move because it's sad to see projects not advancing in their development simply because the staff of said projects is not active or too busy.

There's a few more albums in progress I have claims or tracks on. They might be in the R&C forums and unofficial ones, but these are the ones I'm aware of and working on. 

• PS1 20th anniversary album - started early 2015, made good progress and has a decent amount of completed tracks. Seems a bit dormant now, but there's a final deadline in July 2016.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 25th anniversary album - started mid 2014 to celebrate Sonic's 25th birthday in June 2016. Decent amount of tracks (almost) finished, but project seems to develop slowly. Director is still directing and aiming for completion.
  • Hometown Heroes - started early 2014, was in zombie state for quite a while. Currently looking for a (co) director, so hopefully this one will see completion.
  • Skies of Arcadia: Arcadia Legend - started late 2015, so early days. Director seems very active and things look to be on track.

Not all projects will be finished...  A small few could be abandoned. Honestly I'd like to see some fresh big projects started instead of stringing along old dead ones. But if there's potential to release some of the old ones that'd be good if the music aged well. 

What I'd personally like to see -- more albums that start with a small tracklist (maybe 5 required songs) but allow people to claim other things based on their interest in other sources. This would keep albums from getting too large, and make sure if someone claims something it's because they put in the effort or were familiar with it to know what it was.

I'd like to see a Star Ocean album done this way (small, but covering all the games) A NieR album, RPG Themes album (main themes from RPGs)

Indie album (covering great songs from games like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Transistor, etc)

I think this is a thing that should be done, and trying to save older projects isn't a justifiable reason to not do new stuff like this..  not to say we should outright abandon them all, but those involved should do their part to finish off the existing ones.. For example I still need to send Level99 a finished WAV for my Vroom track and I intend to do that.

20 hours ago, Chernabogue said:

Tim Follin: Dirge of the Follin -- Started in 2007 (10th anniversary next year lol? -- It started before I registered I think xD). No real update for quite some time, except comments from Brandon about the project's age. I don't know what Larry intends to do with this project, but releasing a smaller OCRI album would be the easier solution. Stuff like art will probably be needed in the future.

I felt bad about my own project taking over five years, and that was (at the time) considered taking longer than usual. A decade is just... I don't understand how that could happen. I don't blame anyone, as I have no followed the project closely (I honestly thought it had been released years ago until i saw this in Chern's post), I just do not understand the events that led to this long a delay and amount of inactivity.

Someone has to just step in and say "This is done." Take the music that is complete and make it into the album. While a good album delayed is good forever, an acceptable album delayed for years is still delayed for years.

Hi all, I came here after being away for a few years looking to get into some work as recording tracks and collaborating was incredibly fun for me.

I searched through all the projects and it's difficult to tell which ones are able to be worked on or not as even active projects seem to have deadlines years ago but then this thread says they are open to new people, it's confusing and scared me off asking about a few of them. It would be great to compose a track or two or even do some session recording again.

I agree with Brandon about setting sights on shorter albums, like the World Cup and Eevee EPs. I was also thinking that maybe after 6-8 months on a deadline everyone with a substantial WIP or finished track could vote if they want to wait for any artists who only have claims or rough WIPs. If they vote not to wait, the album is released after all substantial WIPs are finished. It wouldn't work for massive projects like FF6, but it could for smaller albums that don't need all tracks covered and if the project founder is alright with the idea.

Edited by swansdown

4 hours ago, jnWake said:

There was (is?) a Paper Mario project that's unofficial (I believe?) but I'm not sure what its status is.

I forgot about the Paper Mario project, I will add it to the list.

50 minutes ago, audio fidelity said:

SD3 is way older than 2008 just to chime in here.

Well, thanks for the precision, even if it's not very important. The fact is, every album started before 2010 should have been out by now -- or should have found a solution (SD3 has its solution and it's time it gets released).

I remember when SD3 started. :) just kidding haha.  I left for a while and came back and then there were like two albums released and I was like what the hell is this? 

But I didn't pay too much attention cause I wasn't good at music and never played any of the games they made albums for. So when I heard they were working on ff7 that was kind of a big deal, but not enough to get me off my tractor. It'd still be a fair amount of time before I settled into the site,  like some kind of diaper designed to accommodate my girth. 

Uhh... But yeah SD3 is old. 

I personally would have just liked to see the music come out instead the very long wait. 

16 hours ago, jnWake said:

There was (is?) a Paper Mario project that's unofficial (I believe?) but I'm not sure what its status is.

I think the Paper Mario project is still in the works, I suppose. I put my track in for it a while back but haven't heard about its progress in a few months. I know there was some kind of issue with getting it approved as an official OCR project, but I don't know the details.

And what about these projects?

On 27.02.2016 at 3:18 PM, Jorito said:

There's a few more albums in progress I have claims or tracks on. They might be in the R&C forums and unofficial ones, but these are the ones I'm aware of and working on. 

• PS1 20th anniversary album - started early 2015, made good progress and has a decent amount of completed tracks. Seems a bit dormant now, but there's a final deadline in July 2016.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 25th anniversary album - started mid 2014 to celebrate Sonic's 25th birthday in June 2016. Decent amount of tracks (almost) finished, but project seems to develop slowly. Director is still directing and aiming for completion.
  • Hometown Heroes - started early 2014, was in zombie state for quite a while. Currently looking for a (co) director, so hopefully this one will see completion.
  • Skies of Arcadia: Arcadia Legend - started late 2015, so early days. Director seems very active and things look to be on track.

HH is already in your list, but what about the others?

On 2/28/2016 at 4:47 AM, Chernabogue said:

Paper Mario -- Started a few years ago (around 2011-2012 IIRC). RECKENEFIN wants to complete it, the album recently got official. Some tracks remain to be claimed -- a co-drector/assistant may be welcome as well.

Oh man, I completely forgot about that one.