cakewalk compared to other midi sequencers

I'm using Cakewalk sonar, and used Cakewalk Pro Audio earlier. Pro Audio doesn't support VSTs but you'll never

find any program handier than Cakewalk Pro Audio. So if you're planning to use a MIDI-driver or a hardware modul, then go for Pro Audio.

Sonar is one of the big host-applications out there and it's much like Pro Audio but with the new functions needed. It got some bugs like it takes a while to bring up the score editing but it's not that bad.

As you are planning to make classical music I assume you want to use score editing, right? Then I'll tell you that Cakewalk have for what I've seen the absolute best score-editing system.

When you install Sonar you'll get some DXi's and VSTs with it of course. You will get "Cakewalk TTS" wich is exactly the same as Edirol Hypercanvas and you get a nice set of effects, including very nice reverb, chorus, delay etc.

If there's anything you need to know about Cakewalk

Sonar or Pro Audio, just ask!!

In terms of overall MIDI functionality, Sonar is the best. In terms of sequencing, I prefer Cubase. It has an infinately better drum sequencing system and it's faster and more easier with normal piano roll type stuff.

Cubase hates using my windows GM wavetable. So when I want to make a GM midi, I'm stuck with Sonar.

In terms of overall MIDI functionality, Sonar is the best. In terms of sequencing, I prefer Cubase. It has an infinately better drum sequencing system and it's faster and more easier with normal piano roll type stuff.

Cubase hates using my windows GM wavetable. So when I want to make a GM midi, I'm stuck with Sonar.

Basically, all the TC is going to get are answers like mine and this. Whenever you get into Cubase/Sonar/Logic range of sequencers, its all just personal preference and what works best for you, nab the demo for all mid-range sequencers you can and just see which workflow works best.

Basically, all the TC is going to get are answers like mine and this. Whenever you get into Cubase/Sonar/Logic range of sequencers, its all just personal preference and what works best for you, nab the demo for all mid-range sequencers you can and just see which workflow works best.

Basically. As long as you dont get Pro Tools. :lol:

Well, Sixto seems to really love Pro Tools, and his music rocks, so it must be good software.

pro tools is fantastic, but you've gotta be REALLY skilled to handle it. its so amazingly powerful - you can do anything with it. its not like reason, where any moron can make something that sounds like music.

Well, Sixto seems to really love Pro Tools, and his music rocks, so it must be good software.

pro tools is fantastic, but you've gotta be REALLY skilled to handle it. its so amazingly powerful - you can do anything with it. its not like reason, where any moron can make something that sounds like music.

Ahem, excuse me?

lol, well it is easy to work with i'll give you that.

I've never goitten my hands on Pro Tools but I've made a pledge to myself to never use it nor Nuendo. Also, lately I've really started to dislike Reason because its audio quality is really crappy whenever you export audio, I dunno why but its sound engine just muddies things up :/, good thing it works like a charm ReWired.

I've never goitten my hands on Pro Tools but I've made a pledge to myself to never use it nor Nuendo.

Is there any particular reason why or is it just because they're Pro Tools and Nuendo. I know I wouldn't use Nuendo, but that's because it's basically just Cubase with more features, and I don't like Cubase. Just seems a little stupid to vow to never used something you've never tried out.

Haha, nah. I just say no Pro Tools because unless your planning to run a studio, the price is way to big for hobbyests like most of the people at this site. And... the M-Powered and that sucks, as I dont like the idea that you have to have an interface connected just to run the software.

If you have the money / space for an HD system with multiple accel cards and interfaces though, then I say go for it. Otherwise, I say Sonar is teh secks.

I've never goitten my hands on Pro Tools but I've made a pledge to myself to never use it nor Nuendo.

Is there any particular reason why or is it just because they're Pro Tools and Nuendo. I know I wouldn't use Nuendo, but that's because it's basically just Cubase with more features, and I don't like Cubase. Just seems a little stupid to vow to never used something you've never tried out.

It just seems foolish to blow that much money on that kind of software. If I started up a studio then that would be the only reason, but for what I plan to do, Sonar will get me there fine.

Also, Sonar 6 is gonna be the balls. That vintage compressor/EQ/toaster thing looks sexy, and its made by the same people who do a line of top-notch effects along with a freeware line of effects. The fact that Cakewalk bought out my favorite synth designer (rgc:audio) means that they pretty much own my soul by now.

Reasons why ProTools is not that great:

-For most professionals, ProTools LE is like a "teaser" to get the full thing, so you can go beyond 17 tracks.

-Having to switch "low-latency mode" on and off

-RTAS. No support for VST or DX

-Interface is not that great compared to something similar [i've used both ProTools and Samplitude a little bit in a studio environment. Samplitude does the same stuff for a lot cheaper]

-in the context of this thread, very little in the way of midi sequencing. In fact I don't even know if there is any.

-RTAS, lol

i was refering to cakewalk sonar 6.

Yes. Get that one. The Producer Edition. It's got sexy ass Compressor shits, with some drum shits, and some sexy mixer and sheet music shits.

So Sonar 6 is full of shit then?

it comes with all of that stuff too, so i guess that means full of shit and cum, which is kinda nasty...

Reasons why ProTools is not that great:

-For most professionals, ProTools LE is like a "teaser" to get the full thing, so you can go beyond 17 tracks.

-Having to switch "low-latency mode" on and off

-RTAS. No support for VST or DX

-Interface is not that great compared to something similar [i've used both ProTools and Samplitude a little bit in a studio environment. Samplitude does the same stuff for a lot cheaper]

-in the context of this thread, very little in the way of midi sequencing. In fact I don't even know if there is any.

-RTAS, lol

First off, you get an Mbox for $450 and it's bundled with Pro Tools LE. So, you get an audio interface and audio editing software for $450. Sonar is $500 without an interface. It doesn't have to be expensive.

You can get a VST to RTAS wrapper for $100.

For MIDI sequencing you just create a MIDI track.

Pro Tools isn't that bad, but of course, the top dawg always gets a bad rap... just for being the top dawg. It's got great functionality and a no-nonsense user interface [omg why doesn't it have fake serial #'s like Reason to make it look so kewl]. The recently introduced Strike drum module is really sweet too.

I'm still deciding on which DAW I want in the future though, so, to each his own.

"Top dawg" was top dawg many years ago when there were no other options. ProTools is not good at all compared to most other professional DAWs on the market. Sonar may be $500, but it's completely beyond what Pro Tools LE can give you, and for $80 more you can get a great audio interface and not have to spend that extra $100 on a VST wrapper for ProTools, WHICH by the way, doesn't always work properly, especially with newer VSTs.

That package is not a very good deal when you consider that you're getting a nearly useless stripped down version of already bad software. My projects take at least 30-40 tracks.

You can get Cubase SX for around $500, and in my opinion, that right there is better than any other DAW on the market.

Technically it is still the "top dawg" in pro recording studios and in audio post pro (HD not LE). Besides, Pro Tools LE the sequencer part is really only about $250. Compared to Sonar Producer or Cubase SX, no, it's not as good, but I think it holds up just fine against all of the other sequencers in it's price range. I do though think that Digidesign could win over more people if they either beefed up LE or offered another version of Pro Tools with a bit more functionality than LE. As for midi, it still isn't as functional as the other major sequencers, but there has been a vast improvement in the midi abilities of Pro Tools in the last several versions that several composers (for film, games, and other media) have exclussively used PT for their sequencing. That's something that definitely would not have happened a couple years ago.

Just because every studio has PT does not mean it's still the best around. Most engineering courses taught in universities today use only PT, most engineers are too stubborn and scared to try something new, most people shell out $5000 for a Les Paul because they believe that they have to be using one.

Pro Tools went from being the trend setter in DAW innovation, till everyone else caught up. Now it's struggling to keep up.