cakewalk compared to other midi sequencers

I never said it was the best. There is no such thing as the "best DAW". But either way you slice it, if you go to a commercial studio to record something they will probably be using ProTools. The thing that makes Pro Tools such a powerful package isn't the sequencer part, it's the combination of hardware and software that makes PTHD so powerful. No other company has a combination of hardware and software out on the markey that rivals that of PT. Plus since it's fully integrated with Avid (probably the most popular video editing software on the market, which is also owned by Digidesign) it makes it the logical choice for doing video post production too.

I actually went over to a producer i know's house the other day and he showed me Logic Pro. I have to say, that is one of the best sequencers ive ever seen used. It has a few more windows than i would like, but otherwise, it just feels expensive and futuristic. Everything meshes really well with the two moniter set-up he had and if i were into macs, i would put down the $1,000 or so dollars. He also likes to use Cubase, which i personally hate, but he really enjoys it and does some great stuff with it. For some reason though, the stuff he showed me on Logic seemed to be incredibly well-mastered and executed compared to his Cubase, Sonar and Reason setups (which he used in his Logic interface) I have no idea what made it sound so much better, but i want to find out... Anyway, my rambling is over. Long story short, Logic is my favorite sequencer of the ones ive seen and Live is the favorite of what i have now.

I find threads like these to be enormously depressing. I've been using various sequencers since I was 10 years old (which was 12 years ago, fyi), and I have no clue about most of what you're talking about. Reason has bad sound quality? I had no idea. Myself, I found SONAR to be pretty shitty (SONAR 1.0, mind you), and so I'm using Reason 3 nowadays. I guess using it gets you the music you want to make much faster than SONAR does, and that that's why I'm using Reason. Production and Mastering is beyond me no matter what software I use, though. Everything I make sounds like poo, sound wise, even if the arrangement and the samples are good. I still make all my midis in Cakewalk Pro Audio, though. No need for production / sound quality there, all midis sound like poo anway :)