*NO* Mario Kart 64 'Between Lights'

Emunator

Greetings! 

I hope all is well for you. Attached you will find my arrangements of MK64's Rainbow Road, compressed with winLAME on the Variable Bitrate setting with a Quality level of 1. Here is all the requested information:

**Contact Information**
ReMixer name: Strettostein
E-Mail Address: 
User-ID: 32685

**Submission Information**
Name of the game(s) arranged: Mario Kart 64
Name of the arrangement: "Between Lights"
Name of the individual song(s) arranged: Rainbow Road

**Comments about the arrangement**
I decided to arrange the music from one of my favorite childhood games, Mario Kart 64's Rainbow Road track. The piece remains in a Jazz/Fusion style with some rock influences, keeping the melodies very loyal to the original while re-harmonizing its support!

I also added some of the rhythmic textures found in the original Rainbow Road track from SNES's Mario Kart, mainly located near the beginning of the piece. 

Overall a very fun and accessible arrangement that is meant to showcase the well-known melodies under a different light!

In case the YouTube channel is not allowed as a valid website, my other choice would have to be my personal website: http://www.benaimcomposer.com (just in case!)

On a side note, the YouTube channel contains the video performance of the arrangement.

Thank you again for your time and help. Warm regards,

Eric Benaim (Strettostein)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Gorgeous textures and some really smooth performances - you don't get too terribly fancy with any of the changes to the original source, but your arrangement handles Rainbow Road's melodies very tactfully with a lot of enhancements on the chord progression and harmonies. I love this approach and the sound quality is great. With the exception of :59-1:05, where things get inexplicably cluttered and busy, the sound quality is hitting all the major points for me. 

However, the arrangement here is so short - we almost never post tracks that are under 2 minutes long and this, unfortunately, feels too short for us. Give us even another 30-60 seconds of arrangement and fix up the aforementioned clutter at :59, and this would be an easy pass in my book. The fadeout at the end feels lazy too, I'd love to hear a more definitive ending.

Hope to hear this one again, what you have is quite lovely and I'd love to hear it expanded just a bit further to push it over our bar.

NO (resubmit!)

The mixing sounded messy around :58 when more parts came in, though the part-writing was sweet. Overall, the levels felt too loud, but would sound fine pulled back a little.

1:32 sounded like a cut-and-paste job from :16... noooooooo. And then a lazy-style fadeout instead of a resolution... nooooooooo. Let's not do that for a 2-minute mix, this needs to be developed further.

As much as the arrangement was interpretive via the different instrumentation and weaving together both the N64 and SNES "Rainbow Road" themes, this is still an underdeveloped arrangement.

Great start, but flesh this out and realize the potential here with another minute of different interpretive material and don't copy-pasta stuff. Very good stuff so far, Eric, and I truly hope we get more submissions from you.

NO (resubmit)

There are some terrific ideas here, really nice interpretation of this source.  I think there are several points where things get too busy texturally and also harmonically.  Also the lead synth needs some kind of modulation or filter movement on it, it is very plain and sometimes even piercing.  The drums are really weak in the mix.

I agree with the other Js that this needs to be longer.  The fadeout ending makes this feel like a short preview of a much longer track.  The arrangement needs to be quite a bit more expanded than this, and please make a proper ending!

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/07/26 - (3N) Mario Kart 64 'Between Lights'