OCR03367 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 & Bravely Default 'Anathema, Quietus & Apotheosis' *RESUB*

Emunator

Previous Decision

Contact Information

>       ReMixer name: HeavenWraith
>       Real name: Antanas Palaitis
>       E-mail: 
>       Website: http://www.heavenwraithmusic.net
>       Forum user ID: 50325

Submission Information

>       Game: Final Fantasy VI, Bravely Default
>       ReMix Name: Anathema, Quietus & Apotheosis
>       Original Name: Dancing Mad, Under the Duchy's Banner
>       Original Author: Uematsu Nobuo, Kamanaka "Revo" Yasuo (I think officially the artist of the OST album is Linked Horizon)
>       Link to the file: 
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?) the FL Studio project file of this track got corrupted and channel wrappers were giving me random crashes, thus I decided to export MIDI/audio of the track and plaster it on one of my newer symphonic metal templates. After some tinkering here and there, the track revamp is complete, although I lost some of the original feeling of the piece, but what can one do... The overall sound seems to be better anyway.

Lyrics:

Seiya! Nodire, fonite ha! Nohime, terichiha! Nodire, forite ha! Nohime.
Ha! Ha! Ha! Siiya! Ha! Ha! Haa fiya, esentia di noche. Doria vayule nomine.

(Sopranos/Altos) Ya! Nodire, fonite ha! Nohime, terichiha! Nodire, fonite ha! Nohime.
(Tenors/Basses) Nofe sontiiya hedomi norde sorahi forte naah. Nofe sontiiya hedomi norde sorahi forte naah.

Fanta disonya diverta hamonya he! Norte fahanya dife mi.
Fanta disonya diverta hamonya he! Norte fahanya dife! Kamye!

Sotiya forte distanda diverta nihanye.
(Sopranos/Altos) Maya farado.
(Tenors/Basses) Maya kavera nihaye farado.
Forte distanda diverta nihanyama, fanimaya winasoye!

(Sopranos/Altos) Ya! Nodire, fonite ha! Nohime, terichiha! Nodire, fonite ha! Nohime.
(Tenors/Basses) Nofe sontiiya hedomi norde sorahi forte naah. Nofe sontiiya hedomi norde sorahi forte naah.

Sotiya farati hafareya! Sona! Fiya!

• 2 weeks later...

A standard symphonic metal arrangement. Your playing is good, but the guitar tone is too dry. Percussion is ok, the kick doesn’t blend very well. The orchestral elements are all really washed out and the mix is crammed and loud. The dry kick and guitars often sound cheap. The low end lacks definition. Bass, kick and guitar los all messy. Still well done overall. My favorite part is the end where the percussion drops out and dancing mad abides.

NO (production)

I agree that production could be better at blending things together here, especially the drums, but I have to say this feels very acceptable for me especially considering the awesome arrangement. I think the guitar playing is on point, the solo at 2:45 is really cool. The energy is really well-handled throughout, things always stay interesting. The two sources are blended together extremely well, and are still very recognizable even with all the great personalization.

The guitar's production didn't bother me at all. The bass and kick, although not *perfect*, have enough definition in my opinion in order to make them acceptable. I also agree that the mix gets loud, but I think overall it still has enough depth. It's pretty easy overall to make out what's up front and what are the backing parts. There's room for improvement in making things clearer, but I don't think it's that big of an issue here.

Bottom line, I think the arrangement is excellent, and the production flaws aren't that big a deal as to hold this back, in my opinion.

YES

The mix isn't as clear as I would've liked.  The distorted rhythm guitar strange overdrive tone sounds like an odd mix between digital distortion and analog overdrive, it works on some sections, not so well in others.  Some sections like 02:38 the mix almost falls apart.  However, lead guitars are clear, choirs are powerful and the drums pack a good punch.

Production issues aside, this is a really great arrangement.  The Dancing Mad opening was amazing, The transitions into the Bravely Default portions were natural, and surprisingly in line with the mood set by dancing mad.  The guitar performances are on point, offering edge to the song, and that solo was INTENSE.  The church organ sections fit both sources extremely well and add the air of pending doom from Dancing Mad.  This song in general evokes a One Winged Angel feel and I totally approve of that. 

In the end I feel the production nitpicks are just drops in a bucket.  This is an awesome arrangement that shines in pretty much every department.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/02/18 - (2Y/1N) Final Fantasy VI, Bravely Default 'Anathema, Quietus & Apotheosis' *RESUB*

Damn, a nice Bravely Default mix, blending it with some Dancing Mad. You can't go wrong with such a combination, and you got tones of spirit and energy through and through. It's a great arrangement, blending the themes nearly flawlessly.

I'm agreeing with Sir Nuts on the guitar tone - the type of distortion just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the track, in general. I've got to give exception to the solo, though, the tone was much more acceptable in there, but not really anywhere else. The mix is a bit tricky in some spots, as mentioned above, but I don't think these things take nearly enough away to take this below the bar. I'm giving this one a pass - great work on it.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/02/18 - (3Y/1N) Final Fantasy 6 & Bravely Default 'Anathema, Quietus & Apotheosis' *RESUB*

I didn't hear the last version, so I'm not sure how different it was, but this was a very cool, smart arrangement. 0:27 was a weak spot - the kick is too bassy and the guitar tone doesn't mesh well with what is happening there. The guitar is fat but hard to hear against everything else - I think a different tone would have cut through. By the time we got the solo section though, this really started to come together. That worked so much better and I was loving it. I can see a NO vote on this based on the production issues, but I think you've got enough good stuff on one end of the seesaw to cover the flaws.

YES