OCR01509 - Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle "The Great Tentacle Pianist"

djpretzel

Woah, first review! I don't have a lot of insight into this, so pardon me for my noobiness :(...

Anyway, like most piano remixes, it isn't what you can exciting. It's sort of drab. It's not the stuff that you'd listen to day and night. However, it does send chill down my spines. I see you put some effort into this.

8.5/10

Well, I know what song my house is going to play for Halloween.

Downloaded this, not having ever heard of "Day of the Tentacle," which does sound like a cheesy hentai title. Cheesier than most. In fact it sounds as though it was baked in cheese, with a cheese dressing. But I digress.

I did download it under the pretense that it was a Mazedude product, and yay I was not dissapointed. Good stuff, very fun to listen to, had me tapping my foot for the most part, which Piano pieces rarely do for me. Good stuff :)

WELL! Just when you think you've pegged a person's style of remixing, it's a work of art like this that just knocks you sideways. In a good way. Serves me right for being presumtious to begin with. While I am quite fond of some of Mazedude's previous submissions to OCR, I was quite surprised to hear a piano piece from him. A welcome surprise indeed, and sort of a fresh breath of air I suppose. It just goes to show to show you can never quite know how many aces this man has up his sleeve.

:wink:

I like Mazedude. I like Day of the Tentacle. I like (well done) piano mixes. I love Peter McConnell and Michael Land.

I think you know what my verdict will be on this one.

Once you get past the fact that there will in fact be a lot of dissonance, this is quite a treat for the ears. There certainly is a lot going on this mix. It really does give an impression that some times a large tentacle is banging itself against the piano.

The end is quite anti-climactic, but a nice tease instead of a cop out.

Oh man, I am deeply in love with this remix. DOTT was one of my favorite games, and this captures that manic, off-kilter feel of the game perfectly. All the dissonance just works perfectly with just how unique and stylistic the game was to begin with. I can picture this playing during the opening scene with the car so easily. If there was no dissonanec I don't think it would really keep the spirit of DOTT, and this captures it beautifully.

This is awesome.

I'm a bit disappointed, but this might be because I know dott songs and Mazedude's works well. Many of his songs were really ass kicking, like one of my favorites, the wonderful Wolfenstein 3D Nazi Requiem I can only highly recommend!

This piano song is a funny remix, still there are in my opinion too many wrong notes in the beginning of the song... much better from the middle of this remix to the end!

• 2 weeks later...

I love it.. I always wanted to hear remixes of this games soundtrack.. the wrogn notes are actually the way the way they were in the original game XD

I do wish for more though .. there are many games like this that dont get remixes at all although their music, as zany as they were, been imprinted in my mind forever ^__^

as a PC gamer in my childhood I heard more of those than I did for sonic, mario or final fantasy.

MORE DOTT remixes :D :D :D :D

• 1 year later...

Pretty energetic stuff for a piano piece, I could imagine a tentacle from the game playing this. It sounds very aggressive and bold, but something sounds off about the piano sample. Maybe over-quantized? It just sounds super synthetic to me.

It's well done, but for whatever reason I can't really get into this one. I'm not exactly sure why, but it just feels extra mechanical to me. Sorry dude. :-(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This mix is... strangely upbeat for some reason and I don't know why... (Gasps) Was this Purple Tentacle's master plan all along!?

But really, I can't help but find this mix a little on the comedic side. I could just imagine Purple Tentacle pounding out this tune on the piano and getting the keys all wrong. Even though the piano was a little on the mechanical side, I still found this mix enjoyable.

Nice work. :nicework:

• 1 year later...

Dissonance? My ears don't pick that up - the keys flow vibrantly together and manage to juxtapose different elements in ways that feel RIGHT. Loud and quiet notes, up-the-scale runs, blood-related melodies, various detours - they're all melodically sound by themselves and among present company. The mood is stretched and molded so vigorously that I feel like I'm watching one of those vintage cartoons led by a hectic plot. Essentially, the madcap essence is strong, but it's executed with finesse.

And yes, it would be awesome if the purple tentacle belted out tunes like this in the game (although he'd still need fingers :P).

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is sort of a Mazedude meets Shnababula arrangement, which is basically a divine marriage. I can't really fault anything about the mix in general, but I do find it strangely funless to listen to. It has nothing to do with the piano or the source melody; it just doesn't push its light tone hard enough for me to really get into the swing.

I know what people mean when they mention the mix's dissonance, though I wouldn't describe it that way. There's an element of not travelling down expected avenues, which can frustrate some, and it does ultimately confuse the feeling of the mix. It seems caught within the philosophies of Mazedude-wackiness and Shnababula-improv art without hitting the mark of either.

Technically, I love this mix. But the concept could have been honed a tad.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01509 - Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle "The Great Tentacle Pianist"