NEW album coming soon!! Trance/breakbeat MP3 included.

zircon

Hey guys, I'm making enough progress on this project that I figured I'd announce it here. I'm working on a third album of original electronic music that I'm hoping to have done by December (just in time for the holidays!) I've spent quite a bit of time on it, and I've been putting to use all the tools and techniques I've picked up since I released Impulse Prime. The style is primarily breakbeat in nature; 100-140bpm tempo range, so nothing way out there, but there are a lot of different stylistic influences. If you're a fan of The Crystal Method, Fatboy Slim, Prodigy, BT, Hybrid, Chemical Brothers, Hyper, Cirrus, or any other such artists, I think you'll like this album. It will likely retail for about $12 or $13 - very reasonable, I think. ;)

I'll post again when it's either near completion or completed, but until then... here's a preview of a new track I'm working on. This one in particular came to mind when I was listening to some of BT's material, so you might notice a bit of a similarity there. Check it out.

http://www.zirconstudios.com/Trancey.mp3

Thanks in advance for listening, and enjoy!

Pretty good but truth be told the mastering seems off. The drums are really loud and the melody really isn't as fleshed out as it should be and in the end it sounds really kind of empty. Also, you really ought to try out some new drum sounds because you use those in a lot of your songs. Not trying to be all negative, the melody is really nice and its very well produced, but it doesn't seem as polished as it should be.

Don't get me wrong this is sweet, but after listening to it off and on the past couple o' days 2 things are kinda getting me.

The opening pad...heard that same pad a million times. It just seems bland. The samples or mastering used for the drums seems like it could be better. There are some japaneese bass string intruments, if layered maybe could give the pads more life and def a unique sound to blend in with the rest of the instrumentation.

Also that piano that is in the background when the song breaks out, it seems like it could be a lil more in the foreground.

What I love about this mix is the combination of the real ethnic instruments, with dance beats and techno/trance influences. Although that is one my fav genres of music so I'm a lil biased. Delerium is a group that has a lot of songs similar to this, might wanna check them out for some ideas.

For original stuff, this melody is catchy. I did all original composing before doin any remixing, and having a catchy melody is what makes or breaks just about every song. And we'll you got that component down, and we all know u can easily handle all the other production/instrumentation aspects perfectly. So this one is gonna kick some serious ass when it's finished.

Pretty good but truth be told the mastering seems off. The drums are really loud and the melody really isn't as fleshed out as it should be and in the end it sounds really kind of empty. Also, you really ought to try out some new drum sounds because you use those in a lot of your songs. Not trying to be all negative, the melody is really nice and its very well produced, but it doesn't seem as polished as it should be.

Actually, I haven't used these samples in any of my other songs. It's just your imagination. But even if I did, I don't think that's really a valid criticism - look at Pendulum, they not only use the exact same samples (and I do mean EXACT) in about 90% of their songs/remixes, but they also use the exact same loop, at the exact same tempo. And they are considered to be one of the best DNB acts around. If the sound gets the job done, I don't see what the problem is. ;) That being said, I wouldn't say I'm done with the percussion section of the song. I may make other mixing changes at some point, depending on how I'm feeling it down the line.

The same response applies to your comment, avaris; I really don't think you could have heard that pad anywhere else. It's a layer of about four to five different synthesizers, with morphed subtractive, wavesequenced, and sampled sounds. As the intro progresses you should hear the gradual motion involved. If you think it's still too basic - I'll take that into account, but I disagree. It's not supposed to be in your face. It's supposed to be mellow and atmospheric, and I do believe it's exactly that.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a sound that comes in 4 times in the first 30 seconds, and you can only hear it on the right side. That one is actually made to drift from one side to the other.

The part starting at 00:42, including the build-up to 1:02, sounds like standard-90s-european-teenie-trance; nothing special here. But it gets quite interesting from 1:02 on.

Actually its worth mentioning that pretty much all the tunes Pendulum uses that kick and snare (with the exception of Hold Your Colour) are not really respected at all by the DnB community. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who dug Slam on DOA.

What I am wondering about (even if it is off-topic), is what makes you such an expert on dnb? You be a rudeboy junglist who smokes da herb at raves every weekend, or do you get it all from torrented albums?

Actually its worth mentioning that pretty much all the tunes Pendulum uses that kick and snare (with the exception of Hold Your Colour) are not really respected at all by the DnB community. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who dug Slam on DOA.

What I am wondering about (even if it is off-topic), is what makes you such an expert on dnb? You be a rudeboy junglist who smokes da herb at raves every weekend, or do you get it all from torrented albums?

I don't consider myself an expert but I do consider myself very well-versed on the subject. Every day I hit up DOA, about half of what I listen to is DnB, and I even produce DnB. I've personally never been to a DnB set in person (too young to do that) and almost none of my friends actually dig it but I still consider myself knowledgable on the subject seeing of how thats the main form of music that I know about. Anyways, sorry for the off-topic posting zirc, you may now continue with your regularly scheduled song thread already in progress.

Yo zirc, hmm yeah i can def see where ur coming from on those pads. There is a lot movement. I agree with ya on the direction ur goin for with em. I can't believe how many different kinds of synths/sounds u got layered, that's pretty insane. I usually only do about 3 layers.

After hearing how u created the pads. I guess my gripe prob is a result of what part of the layer was dominant. In making music most decisions about how to make the song are preference based. It's why some people like some kinds of music, and some like others.

What sounds like a deep bellowing voice in the pads, is a sound I might try to put more in the forefront of the pad. It sounds similar to a really low bellowing tibetan chant, that I'm a huge fan of. Just thought that giving those pads a more ethnic feel would go well with the rest of the ethnic instruments u got. So yeah my comment is def preference based.

Shit I need to start writing shorter posts...

Anywho good luck on the album.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...