Need a sample, synth, or effect? LOOK HERE!

zircon

Yea loads of people use samples. Its just where they get them from and what they do with them. Using the same popular samples can make a lot of songs sound the same. For example the load of peope who use the same fruity loops sounds, is it not annoying?

I can't beleive such big producers would use Synthogy Ivory, but I guess for some pieces there wouldn't be a lot of difference than a real piano. Real instruments have expression. What are interesting though are modelling instruments, like electric piano/string instrument modellers, they have lots of paremeters to deal wth much more than the playback of a sample.

I guess samples are however you use them, but you have to be wary of how it sounds. I was listening to some of the Chono Symphonic stuff and I didn't really like it, there were some nice sounds but it lacks the realism and small inperfections of a real orchestra, although some tracks are better than others.

If you've heard a LOT of music where people are using the same samples hearting more of it gets kind of boring. Only tweaking samples slightly can make a lot of difference is all i'm saying.

And the originality is noticed by the listener, may sound more original to some rather than others.

But I don't want to start a massive discussion, just trying to give advice to people who use freely available/popular samples, TWEAK!

A nice Japanese website featuring samples of vintage drum machines such as the Yamaha RX5 and the Korg DDM110 "Super Drums":

http://www.denhaku.com/r_box/r_box.htm

And about that using "generic samples (or sounds)" debate, I tend to understand Mairuzu's POV and tend to, myself, believe that using edited versions or original stuff like I tend to do it (on some on my songs, I even sampled my old SB16 FM chip and YMAmp) is way more interesting.

In the other hand, if someone manages to use his "generic presets or samples" brilliantly, I don't see any problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm looking for a sound you hear on acoustic guitars a lot. It's kind of hard to describe; That squeel-ish sound you hear when the player moves their hand across the strings quickly. In "Without Taking the Jewel" from the Chrono Cross soundtrack, it's very noticeable. Does anyone have a sample of this?

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/searchText.php

Search "guitar squeal" at that link. They're are all electric, but if you need an acoustic one, I can record it for you if you like.

I am looking for some decent sounding acoustic and electric guitar fonts (if there is such an animal.)

Lately, I've been using the ProTrax guitar in my most recent mixes, and I'm hoping I could stumble across one thats even better.

Also, I just cant find a good sounding electric guitar to save my life.

To be honest with you, I sure as hell don't want to pay for any, cause I'm afraid my puter is too old to handle super high quality samples, and I'm not into music enough to actually want to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on samples that I probably will not use.

Also, I am looking for pads. Lots and lots of soothing, ambient pads. I only have one, and I have to go through hell just to make them sound somewhat decent.

Does anybody have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Find a good acoustic snare sample, or snare roll sample, add a ridiculous amount of reverb with huge attack for that cliche military sound.

You can also try applying a very short delay to the sample for the multiple-drummers-at-once effect. I've found this gives a cleaner effect than plain old reverb, but it's a personal preference. I usually run it through reverb afterwards, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually I found a fairly usable harp SF2 on SF2Midi.com if that's what your looking for. I think it's listed as ZSF String Harp about 12MB, and I think the poster went by the name Zandro. Not sure if it's good enough for whatcha need, but I like the sound of it.