Need a sample, synth, or effect? LOOK HERE!

zircon

Another request again x_x

I'm working on a song where the human whistle is the very very important instrument, I tried out some synths, wich are pretty good but they still don't satisfy me at all (The Shepherd & Whistler).

I need a really realistic whistle like the one in the ending of the song 'Danger Line' from Avenged Sevenfold (check at minute 4:45), does anybody knows a synth that can generate this sound?

I think I can't record it myself

Another request again x_x

I'm working on a song where the human whistle is the very very important instrument, I tried out some synths, wich are pretty good but they still don't satisfy me at all (The Shepherd & Whistler).

I need a really realistic whistle like the one in the ending of the song 'Danger Line' from Avenged Sevenfold (check at minute 4:45), does anybody knows a synth that can generate this sound?

I think I can't record it myself

try modulatin white noise to make a whistle on an synth

• 2 weeks later...

what sound is this?

http://soundcloud.com/aires/what-sound-is-this

Hey sorry I didn't get back with you, somehow I completely didn't see the update on my thread subscriptions. I am curious though, as I'm still learning myself, how you ended up accomplishing the sound?

It was no ordinary waveform, it was a wavetable, someone reminded me of it on a thread i made, i havent touched wave tables in a long time, and massive had a whole lot of them ;)

i think the wavetable used was scrapyard for that synth in wavepostion 6.25

I'm looking for a good Triangle (percussion) VSTi or soundfont, I need the both open & mute sounds, I've surfed the net in search of it, but I found only a mediocre soundfont..

Didn't want to ask help for this one,but.. x_x

Do you guys know any?

triangle? you will need a sample kit

Edited by SonicThHedgog

what sound is this?

http://soundcloud.com/aires/what-sound-is-this

It was no ordinary waveform, it was a wavetable, someone reminded me of it on a thread i made, i havent touched wave tables in a long time, and massive had a whole lot of them ;)

i think the wavetable used was scrapyard for that synth in wavepostion 6.25

triangle? you will need a sample kit

That sounds an anvil with a delayed click.

A looked through Massive and that wavetable is pretty spot on. How are you determining the position? Cause I don't see any numerical values to represent it. I had the wt position at around 10 o'clock.

That sounds an anvil with a delayed click.

A looked through Massive and that wavetable is pretty spot on. How are you determining the position? Cause I don't see any numerical values to represent it. I had the wt position at around 10 o'clock.

oh i was not looking at ableton where Wt position would be .289 and 6.25 in another daw ;o

I'm looking for a good Triangle (percussion) VSTi or soundfont, I need the both open & mute sounds, I've surfed the net in search of it, but I found only a mediocre soundfont..

Didn't want to ask help for this one,but.. x_x

Do you guys know any?

Depending on how picky you are and how into creating your own sounds you are, you could probably make a decent triangle sound with a filtered square or triangle waveform (or both), subtle LP filter closing, short amp decay and mid-sustain/release.

^I'm gonna try this to make sure. edit: scratch that, looks like you need those highs, looks like a comb filter would work better, etc.. Unless of course you're more successful that I was and avoid whatever fails I've accomplished here. Still, the below suggestion should work fine.

A muted triangle would just be shorter and more muffled. Could be done with a sample or with the synth suggested above.

Edited by Rozovian

Depending on how picky you are and how into creating your own sounds you are, you could probably make a decent triangle sound with a filtered square or triangle waveform (or both), subtle LP filter closing, short amp decay and mid-sustain/release.

A muted triangle would just be shorter and more muffled. Could be done with a sample or with the synth suggested above.

^I'm gonna try this to make sure.

Thanks for the advice, anyway, good news! I just found a good open triangle sample, I just have to make a mute triangle by modifying this one, so I'll just have to make it shorter as you told me.. This work can be done on Wavepad, right??

Thanks for the advice, anyway, good news! I just found a good open triangle sample, I just have to make a mute triangle by modifying this one, so I'll just have to make it shorter as you told me.. This work can be done on Wavepad, right??

I guess so, tho my limited time with wavelab has me wondering how exactly to do that. But whatever, shorten it as appropriate and fade out the highs. Should work. Might be easier in a drum sampler or something, but whatever works.

^I'm gonna try this to make sure. edit: scratch that, looks like you need those highs, looks like a comb filter would work better, etc.. Unless of course you're more successful that I was and avoid whatever fails I've accomplished here. Still, the below suggestion should work fine.

the problem with that is it will not sound realistic unless he use a certiant amount of resonance and revervb :P

the problem with that is it will not sound realistic unless he use a certiant amount of resonance and revervb :P

Actually, yes it might. Go record something in an anechoic chamber. Realistic listening environment? Not really. Realistic, authentic, acoustic instrument sound? Yes. :P

Depending on the character of the sample and the mix, additional reverb might or might not be a good idea.

Just saying.

how do you make that windy sound in the beginning of the video, and the pad that play through out this video

Actually, yes it might. Go record something in an anechoic chamber. Realistic listening environment? Not really. Realistic, authentic, acoustic instrument sound? Yes. :P

Depending on the character of the sample and the mix, additional reverb might or might not be a good idea.

Just saying.

well an anechoic chamber has no reflection, but i think your saying to get the sound a dry sound first, then to add non to an mesured amount of reverb according to the other tracks to add to the main mix?

• 2 weeks later...

What synth did they use use in Metroid Prime? Apparently they had to compress everything into 6 megabytes. I am wondering, how did Yamamoto compose the soundtracks? Did he use some random synth or did he use internal GameCube midi? This is an interesting question because I know for a fact Metroid Prime 3 uses Magnus Choir (or at least I think it does.) But I don't think Magnus was used in the earlier games, which is interesting because its harder to use Magnus (due to its longer attack length). So does anyone know what synths would sound similar to Metroid Prime? I've searched through dozens of synths, including demos of non-free synths, and they all sound either too trancy or quiet, kind of like modern TV music, or old 70's movies. Metroid Prime's sounds more hip-hop like, with crunk whistles, weird pads (I know Metroid Prime is partly ambient, but I don't want it to sound too slow and ambient like Star Trek or a nature documentary) and physicadelic clowns. So far I have found a synth called Collusus but it is 32 GB (lol, guess that's where it gets it's name.) I am afraid my comp might not be able to handle it. Any other suggestions?

What is strange is when I am at Guitar Center when I play on the keyboards the synths all sound very good quality, but every synth I find on the computer sounds like crap.

how do you make that windy sound in the beginning of the video, and the pad that play through out this video

Which windy sound? The one that's just filtered white noise or one of the more musical ones?

well an anechoic chamber has no reflection, but i think your saying to get the sound a dry sound first, then to add non to an mesured amount of reverb according to the other tracks to add to the main mix?

Unless you have triangle samples with reverb present, yeah. A bad sample with lots of reverb will still sound like a bad sample. A good sample buried in reverb is gonna sound buried in reverb.

What synth did they use use in Metroid Prime? ... I've searched through dozens of synths, including demos of non-free synths, and they all sound either too trancy or quiet, kind of like modern TV music, or old 70's movies. Metroid Prime's sounds more hip-hop like, with crunk whistles, weird pads (I know Metroid Prime is partly ambient, but I don't want it to sound too slow and ambient like Star Trek or a nature documentary) and physicadelic clowns. ...

What is strange is when I am at Guitar Center when I play on the keyboards the synths all sound very good quality, but every synth I find on the computer sounds like crap.

*psychedelic :P

A lot of stuff factor into a synth sound, such as other effects on the synth track and the listening setup. If you're using free synths, only using their presets, and not applying any additional effects to them they'll probably sound lame. If you know how to tweak and process those synths, you can do just fine with freebies. FreeAlpha is pretty versatile thanks to its mod matrix, and coupled with some effects you can get a lot of interesting sounds out of it.

Any specific tracks you're wondering about? The soundtracks are over a hundred tracks total.

oh not the windy sound in the start, i meant the pad through out the song. im thinking its a distortion with some saw and a LP but im not sure.

"a distortion" lol

It too is something based on filtered noise but with some other, harmonically rich waveform. Could be some minor chord harmonics in the sound itself, or just a chord being played. Can't say. Same with how it sounds like two octaves at at once.

"a distortion" lol

It too is something based on filtered noise but with some other, harmonically rich waveform. Could be some minor chord harmonics in the sound itself, or just a chord being played. Can't say. Same with how it sounds like two octaves at at once.

lol fine saw lp with distortion effect .

i tryed making a super saw with a FM'D white noise in toxic bio and i was close but not on spot , i may be missing somthing in the algorithem.

Which windy sound? The one that's just filtered white noise or one of the more musical ones?

Unless you have triangle samples with reverb present, yeah. A bad sample with lots of reverb will still sound like a bad sample. A good sample buried in reverb is gonna sound buried in reverb.

*psychedelic :P

A lot of stuff factor into a synth sound, such as other effects on the synth track and the listening setup. If you're using free synths, only using their presets, and not applying any additional effects to them they'll probably sound lame. If you know how to tweak and process those synths, you can do just fine with freebies. FreeAlpha is pretty versatile thanks to its mod matrix, and coupled with some effects you can get a lot of interesting sounds out of it.

Any specific tracks you're wondering about? The soundtracks are over a hundred tracks total.

Prime Trilogy Menu is pretty beautiful and I like the crunk whistles in Rundas and especially the whistle and pad in Torvus Bog. I love the drum sets used in all the songs and I love the orchestration, choirs and guitar used in the Bryyo theme. I like the background pad (I used to live near a freeway) used in Tallon Overworld 1 and drum and bass used in Tallon Overworld 2. Sanctuary Fortress is a really interesting song, amazing sounds and lots of arpeggios. I like the ambientness of the Chozo ruins and how every sound in the song seems to mesh together without being boring. Last but not least you cannot forget the icy yet heartwarming feel of Phendrana.