Need a sample, synth, or effect? LOOK HERE!

zircon

Kontakt has like 5 pianos, dude. :P Learn to use the good ones before you burn tons of cash on the perfect ones.

I'm not actually going to buy anything right now, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. Something that would be considered a must have, for later down the road when I want to spend more money. I'm definitely learning the ones I currently have.

I'm sure there are a few somewhere in here, but I've got a slow internet connection, and sifting through 32 pages of stuff isn't easy. Could someone please direct me to some free saxophone samples? As with anything, the more realistic they sound, the better. I'd prefer sf2s, I don't know how to install anything else with GarageBand, but I could learn how to install other sounds, if necessary.

I'm sure there are a few somewhere in here, but I've got a slow internet connection, and sifting through 32 pages of stuff isn't easy. Could someone please direct me to some free saxophone samples? As with anything, the more realistic they sound, the better. I'd prefer sf2s, I don't know how to install anything else with GarageBand, but I could learn how to install other sounds, if necessary.

Darke has a couple on his soundfont page which are decent sf2 patches:

http://soundfonts.darkesword.com/

Awesome, thank you so much! :)

EDIT: Actually, it turns out I need Windows to use sfpack, which patches his sound fonts. If anybody has the sf2 versions of those or any other nice saxophones, would it be too much trouble to upload them to Mediafire (or whatever hosting site you prefer) and link me to them?

Edited by pokemoneinstein

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm quite new to messing around with synths and remixing in general, and would like to get a start with operating synths, so I'm not just relying on presets/samples/soundfonts.

What freeware vsts would you most highly recommend for someone looking for something real basic, user-friendly, and easy-to-understand?

Something that can cover a decent variety of needs (like being able to make leads, basses, and even percussion), or something specialized to be real solid for one type of sound (like being built specifically for basses, for example), would be especially appreciated.

What freeware vsts would you most highly recommend for someone looking for something real basic, user-friendly, and easy-to-understand?

B. Serrano Artemis

I've also heard that LinPlug FreeAlpha is good, too.

If I were you, I wouldn't use Synth1 quite yet as its GUI is cluttered and somewhat confusing the first time you look at it.

There are hundreds of freeware VSTis on the interwebs, just gotta find the ones that work best for you.

Edited by Anorax

Read about synthesis (I have some info on it in my guide).

Then load up presets in any synth, turn off filters and effects, try to figure out how each part of the synth changes the sound from the raw waveforms. Do not attempt to understand fm synthesis, at least not yet, focus on subtractive synths.

The aforementioned FreeAlpha is one of the free synths I recommend, as is TAL-Elek7ro II.

(btw VST does not mean Virtual inStrument)

(btw VST does not mean Virtual inStrument)

VST= Virtual Studio Technology.

VST in general is (an) audio effect, such as eq, delay, chorus, etc.

A VSTi is a VST Instrument, or synth.

And then you can divide "synth" into a large amount of subtypes. But yeah, go read Rozovian's guide. If you want to know specifics on synthesis types, just ask (if Rozo hasn't specified in his guide)

I thank you guys for the guidance.

I've now been messing around with TAL-Elek7ro II for a bit and using what I've learned so far about subtractive synthesis, I've been able to actually get some cool sounds out of it.

Also, Rozovian: Props to your making that guide. It's full of solid information. It's actually making me feel like I have an idea as to what I'm doing.

Anyone know where to find a really good organ synthesizer/sample/soundfont? I'm working on a remix for this:
and cannot find the right sound.

B8Organ is pretty good, and free.

http://www.meteoxavier.com/p/free-vsts-soundfonts-and-samples.html

And bunches of other free stuffs, too!

More for jazzy and percussive stuff, but there are some more churchy presets.