Need a sample, synth, or effect? LOOK HERE!

zircon

He's right about the metric though. An extra $25 is almost nothing. An extra $50-75 I could see being an issue, but $25 can be saved up in a couple weeks.

And as I said before, if it can't be saved up in a couple weeks, I would be looking at my financial situation and decide not to buy samples. There are free options that would do a better job than $60 Goldbaby samples for acoustic work, I would use those until I'm sure that an extra $25 for Studio Drummer isn't something I consider an extraneous amount to save. Going for cheaper, not as good samples because of lack of small patience to save up a small amount of money is not exactly the economically smartest thing to do.

The point I'm trying to make here is "don't have the extra $25" is a pretty bs reason to cash in early for samples you CAN afford (but might not be happy with).

Especially when the libraries you (Cash and Change) recommended are drum machine sounds. Which is the exact opposite of what you want for rock music.

Edited by Neblix

Ok, this probably has people asking for piano samples all the time.. but here's another one.

Would anybody know where to find a good quality sample that has a similar tone to the one used in a lot of FELT songs (a Touhou arrangement circle)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvlEKFQ-MKA

I'm pretty sure it's a keyboard, hopefully a fairly popular one. I'd love to find the sample set/soundfont from this keyboard.

Also free or maybe cheap would be nice. But whatever you guys have to recommend.

It's fairly bright; what about Native Instruments' New York Concert Grand? You're not going to get any sample set that's exactly the same, out of the box, but you should be able to get pretty close with something like this, and use effects to get you the rest of the way.

This site has acquired the copyright for the ns7 kit, linked from Natural Studio.

I already checked that link out. Its not exactly the one I remember. Seeing how big it is, its definitely a updated version. The one I remember from years ago was only a few hundred Megs big (maybe 500 to 700 MB), not nearly as fancy as the one NDK is selling now, but had quite a few more samples than the lite version. It was available for free on the NS site for a little while.

I might snag this one later on, but for now I don't have too much of a need for more drums. I was just curious to see if the old one was still out there or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Umm... both rhythm and lead I guess. As for Jazz and Metal... Metal, I think. I want a rock kind of sound.

I've been using Slayer2FX on an Overdriven guitar from a soundfont uptill now (in FL Studio), but the quality of that isn't really the best. And is absolutely useless for leads.

Edited by Blazaking

Hey guys I need a point in the right direction, about getting the sound for the Mining Melancholy main tune.

Heard here @ 0.35

I tried the piano in my remix but it just doesn't cut it. I need something as close as possible to the original that I can get, to make it sound worthy. It sounds more like some sort of a mandolin or something oriental. Just cannot put a finger to it.

I'm using ableton, and have syleth1, z3ta 1/2, Dimension Pro, and a bunch of others but just can't find anything resembling what i'm after.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

Sounds like a plucked-y synth sound to me. Shouldn't be hard to get close with a decent subtractive synth. It's all about the envelopes and picking/crafting the right waveform. If you only have standard waveforms, you'll have to be creative with oscillator pitch.

Umm... both rhythm and lead I guess. As for Jazz and Metal... Metal, I think. I want a rock kind of sound.

I've been using Slayer2FX on an Overdriven guitar from a soundfont uptill now (in FL Studio), but the quality of that isn't really the best. And is absolutely useless for leads.

So just say rock, then. :P Better yet, use examples. Anyway...

If you have Kontakt, consider Shreddage for rhythm. Neblix had some guitar instrument that might work for this as well.

Still, you'll need a decent amp sim (there are free ones). Focus on getting the amp to sound good. I've gotten some decent results from piano samples and an amp sim, a lot of the electric "guitar" sound is really the amp. That said, you need a good rhythmic base sound for it, I would try every picked, plucked, and struck string sample I've got until I had something passable. Maybe that weird dulcimer thing would make a decent rhythm guitar. It probably won't fool anyone who plays guitar, but it's a lot closer than the stuff labeled "electric guitar" in your sampler. Just consider how the guitar is played when you write it.

As for leads, the same applies - get the amp sim to sound right, then use a decent base sound. Here the base sound needs to be more animated, more alive. Synths and samples both work, here, but you'll need to fiddle a lot with the writing. Pitch bends and vibrato add life, as do portamento/glide and a slew of other tricks. Occasional note overlap and other imperfections can be used to add some realism, but as with the rhythm guitar, you probably won't fool guitarists. What you get, tho, is something that fills the role and spectrum of a lead guitar, which is usually enough.

I am wondering how best to replicate this guitar sound:

Right at 1:46 a new section starts where there is guitar strumming repeated 16th notes and I have no idea how to get a similar effect through any means (I'm sure that a real guitar is being used for the recording, so I am aware of that).

I have EWQL's Ministry of Rock, but none of the instruments seem to come remotely close to it. Any pointers?

Google "papelmedia_churchorgan.sf2" and see if you come up with anything. If not, I'll see if I can find a way for you to get it.

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the file but it doesn't work (fl studio can't detect the plugin). I see it has .sf2 extension, whereas most other plugins are .dll. I tried changing the extension to .dll but got an error when I tried to load it. Sorry I'm a computer noob can you please help me out?

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the file but it doesn't work (fl studio can't detect the plugin). I see it has .sf2 extension, whereas most other plugins are .dll. I tried changing the extension to .dll but got an error when I tried to load it. Sorry I'm a computer noob can you please help me out?

Use this: http://www.cakewalk.com/Download/sfz.aspx

or this: http://www.dskmusic.com/dsk-sf2-v2/

Open these plugins with FL, and load the .sf2 file

It's not a plug-in. That's what's called a soundfont.

Yep

a soundfont is sort of what it sounds like. A soundfont is a collection of audio clips and a set of instructions on how to play these clips. If you want to read more on how soundfonts work, read the [ code] window below.

Soundfonts also give information to the host on whether to loop audio samples until told to stop (note off), or play them all the way through once.

Soundfonts can respond to two MIDI controls (sent from the soundfont host): note and velocity. That's all a soundfont can read. from this data (which you can think of as x and y on a graph), the soundfont host determines what sample to play when a note is played.

The Soundfont host, once it receives the audio from the soundfont file, can add effects, such as volume envelope, mono/polyphonic mode, and any effects such as chorus or delay, depending on what the soundfont host allows.