Need a sample, synth, or effect? LOOK HERE!

zircon

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry if I keep asking things.

I was wondering how can I make the string-like sound that starts at the

?

Thank you.

There is actually a Final Fantasy VIII soundfont with a sample of that in there. I think you can get it at Zophar's Domain.

Thanks for the help, I found it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Crystal is pretty fun. It's like an older, less advanced Omnisphere.

Hey guys, sorry if I keep asking things.

I was wondering how can I make the string-like sound that starts at the

?

Thank you.

Sounds quite breathy. Could be a short string sample/waveform in some kind of granular synthesis, or just a good loop with loads of reverb baked into the sample. What I'd do for creating something like it is to start from something similar, either a physical modeling synth or start screwing with an ehru sample, and see what I can do with just that, then add effects to get it closer to what I need for whatever track I'm doing.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have the 8bit synth called Basic64? It was discontinued and I can't find it anywhere.

Really? I just googled it and found it right off the bat!

I actually have a sound that I'd like to be able to recreate (or someone sample for me). You know in Starwars Episode 2 (I know it sucks) there's that scene where Jengo Fett is firing missiles at Obi-Wan in the astroid field? Well, they make this extremely awesome "PAAANG!!!" sound that I've been trying to recreate without success. I haven't been able to find any footage of the scene. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Edited by nOkbient

I actually have a sound that I'd like to be able to recreate (or someone sample for me). You know in Starwars episode 2 (I onow it sucks) there's that scene where Jengo Fett is firing missiles at Obi-Wan in the astroid field? Well, they make this extremely awesome "PAAANG!!!" sound that I've been trying to recreate without success. I havn't been able to find any footage of the scene. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

It's a pretty cool sound.

I think I'd start with a slow bass drop, maybe not even that bassy, and run it through a long karplus-strong algorithm to get that raw string/twang tone. It'd probably get me in the ballpark, so I could tweak the source sound or the algorithm (probably the filter settings or feedback amount) to get something closer. REAKTOR could do it. You might have some luck with ohysical modeling synths.

It should be possible to get something similar with a really short delay outside of physical modelings synths as well. You'd just have to work out what the tone you want is in milliseconds. I think there was a thread for that, although the math isn't that hard.

No you didn't. Go back and try to actually download it -- won't work. Every site that talks about basic64 links to de la Mancha's website, which recently took basic64 down.

Anyway if someone just happens to have the file on-hand, could you please upload it somewhere?

No you didn't. Go back and try to actually download it -- won't work. Every site that talks about basic64 links to de la Mancha's website, which recently took basic64 down.

Anyway if someone just happens to have the file on-hand, could you please upload it somewhere?

I don't know why you really want it, but I can send it to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Lightning isn't a sound, it's the light thing.

The sounds you're looking for are actually the same sound, just coming to you directly or indirectly. The thunderclap is the sudden, loud, strong crash. It's the sparkle noise in static electricity, the click when any electric current starts to arc. The big difference is that there's slightly more electricity in a storm cloud than in a balloon you've rubbed on a sweater.

The booming sound is just natural reverb from the sound being muffled in the atmosphere and bouncing along the ground and all the trees and houses and things on the ground. Kind'a like waves in the water. Drop a stone in a pool and you'll start with distinct waves, but once they've bounced along the walls of the pool some, or just travelled a bit, they'll be softer, longer, and messier.

A Tesla coil doesn't have much of this sound, but it does have the sound of electric current, which can be used for other fun musical things. The main difference, except the amount of power, is that natural lightning is super fast, while a Tesla coil is typically sustained.

General booming thunder sfx shouldn't be hard to find, there should be in your DAW's midi suite, otherwise you can probably use the OS' midi suite. It's not a great sound, but with some creative effects you can make it work. The sharp thunderclap however... I don't know about that one.

I'm desperate for good tropical soundscapres... jungle etc... does anyone know where to get these?

thx!

Well, I always use google, and then I just cut out as much of the almost mandatory static frequencies as I can. If you want, you could also create a jungle soundscape. Nab a night-time sound clip with lots of bug sounds in it. Then just grab some various jungle animal sounds and put them in. You could also mess with panning, giving you more control.

Ooooor, you could find a nature show or something on youtube and convert it to an mp3.

Well, I always use google, and then I just cut out as much of the almost mandatory static frequencies as I can. If you want, you could also create a jungle soundscape. Nab a night-time sound clip with lots of bug sounds in it. Then just grab some various jungle animal sounds and put them in. You could also mess with panning, giving you more control.

Ooooor, you could find a nature show or something on youtube and convert it to an mp3.

Thank you! Unfortunately Google hasn't been good to me on this one :(

And I have actually tried sampling off some of the David Attenborough shows on Netflix but the audio is always a bit buzzy.

I'll keep hunting I guess.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have an Acoustic Guitar Soundfont, and a Harp Soundfont that they would be willing to post/share?

These acoustic guitar soundfonts are pretty good. All of them are a little questionable in the higher notes. I forget where I found them though. You'll need to band stop the Maestro Velocity one at 82 Hz. Thankfully they all come dry.

The harp may need a little dip at 260Hz.

Edited by timaeus222

These acoustic guitar soundfonts are pretty good. All of them are a little questionable in the higher notes. I forget where I found them though. You'll need to band stop the Maestro Velocity one at 82 Hz. Thankfully they all come dry.

The harp may need a little dip at 260Hz.

These are great! :) Thanks for the soundfonts timaeus222!

• 3 weeks later...