Need a sample, synth, or effect? LOOK HERE!

zircon

• 4 weeks later...
poo that looks like its windows only. dang, you guys get taiko, AND the erhu plugin. i guess people dont make eastern influenced music on macs.
I'm going to go full retard for a minute here, but is Kontakt available on Mac? If so, maybe there's a good Taiko library/patch for you to utilize.

Or someone could sample this VST and program a taiko patch from it I dunno

Sorry for the useless comment, that's just my specialty

I have a lot of people who ask me about how synthesis works. Does anyone know of a good VST that easily shows all of the basic processes of a synth without being too complicated or sophisticated. One with oscillator types, LFOs, an envelope generator for a filter and volume, and maybe some other stuff. The closest I have is Synth1, but I find that people are easily confused when I try to explain it to them. I don't mind what type of synthesis it is...

I have a lot of people who ask me about how synthesis works. Does anyone know of a good VST that easily shows all of the basic processes of a synth without being too complicated or sophisticated. One with oscillator types, LFOs, an envelope generator for a filter and volume, and maybe some other stuff. The closest I have is Synth1, but I find that people are easily confused when I try to explain it to them. I don't mind what type of synthesis it is...

TAL-Elek7ro:

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-elek7ro

tal-elek7ro.jpg

Im curious about this. I just found a copy of NI's "Alicia's Keys" for 40$ and im curious if its worth it, or if theres some other piano vst out there that sounds pretty good for the same or around that much. im using 4front piano now, and it works sometimes, but is pretty boring sounding.

Im curious about this. I just found a copy of NI's "Alicia's Keys" for 40$ and im curious if its worth it, or if theres some other piano vst out there that sounds pretty good for the same or around that much. im using 4front piano now, and it works sometimes, but is pretty boring sounding.

That's actually a really good sample library in my opinion. There are better ones out there by my preference, but from the demos and other videos about it, loads of care went into making it.

However, it's a good idea to consider that there are plenty of piano timbres out there to sample, so whether a sample library is "good-sounding" doesn't mean it will fit well into every single track you write. If you're going to write many songs that use piano, then it's wise to check out many other sample libraries out there and sift through as many different timbres as you can and find what you like best for your own style. Even soundfonts could work well with your preferred reverb. =)

That said, $40 is an awesome deal for a product like that, and in my opinion you should go for it if you're intending to write intimate, calm songs from what I can hear. I'm not sure if it can be used in an energetic track as I can't find higher energy demos [that use higher velocities], but I highly doubt a high end Native Instruments library would be that limited. Many others cost over $100, including the one I like to use---TruePianos for $180.

Edited by timaeus222

Alicia's Keys for $40 is a steal. Of the piano libraries I've, used, it's one of the ones that feels most like a real piano when I play it from a MIDI keyboard. It definitely has a Yamaha sound to it, which makes it a good general-purpose piano, especially for piano-based pop styles. There's some string/body buzz in some of the samples, but not enough to be a big issue. The library's not super tweakable, so what you hear in the demos is pretty much what you get.

That said, $40 is an awesome deal for a product like that, and in my opinion you should go for it if you're intending to write intimate, calm songs from what I can hear. I'm not sure if it can be used in an energetic track as I can't find higher energy demos, but I highly doubt a high end Native Instruments library would be that limited. Many others cost over $100, including the one I like to use---TruePianos for $180.

I actually think it sounds best with relatively aggressive playing styles (which is also my opinion for Yamaha pianos in general). Yamahas have a very cleanly-defined sound with a lot of body, and Alicia's Keys captures that very well. When you play with a light touch, it sounds, to my ear, more delicate than intimate (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Very different from something like Soundiron's Emotional Piano, which has a slightly muffled, more indistinct sound that I would describe more as more intimate than Alicia's Keys. But the dynamic range on Alicia's Keys is very good, which I think is one of the big reasons that it feels so natural to play -- and I think it's a testament to the quality of the sampling that I basically feel the same way about the sound of Alicia's Keys as I do about the sound of the real Yamaha pianos that I've played.

Edited by Moseph

That said, $40 is an awesome deal for a product like that, and in my opinion you should go for it if you're intending to write intimate, calm songs from what I can hear. I'm not sure if it can be used in an energetic track as I can't find higher energy demos, but I highly doubt a high end Native Instruments library would be that limited.

For the last year or so, I was using Alicia's Keys and NI's New York Grand as the two pianos in my live keyboard rig. Alicia's Keys for the mellower tracks (and sometimes the more up-tempo ones too, because it's just higher quality), and NY Grand when I needed something to really cut through and just have that extra punch. I'm sure I could've tweaked the effects on Alicia's Keys enough to get it where I needed it for probably everything we played, but I wanted the second sound just for some variety.

$40 is a steal, and I'd definitely grab this right away.

Is the Alicia's Keys on sale somewhere? Care to share the link? :-) I would definitely buy it for $40.

craigslist, so i could be getting ripped. but it sounds like one of those G.A.S purchases. Someone who felt inspired, felt the need to buy something fancy and expensive, and then never used it. Its supposedly NIB, so ill see when i meet up with them. I feel like my style seems to stay in a relatively mellow mood most of the time so it should work well. thanks for the advice guys!

As for the soundfonts I was referring to before, here are a set of (free) piano soundfonts I collected and sorted through for sufficient (purely bit-rate-based) audio quality. Add your own reverb and it should sound pretty decent.

Dunno if it's just me or not, but I couldn't get those to play in FL. o_O