Need a sample, synth, or effect? LOOK HERE!

zircon

What issue do you get? All of the ones I shared are .sf2, but do you have the full version of FL? Some people have had problems because of that.

Yeah, full version and I have the soundfont player.

Granted I'm new to FL, but I'm not new to technology or music programs and I've been able to get all my other soundfonts to work

Has anyone else been able to get these soundfonts to work? I'm eager to find good soundfonts, as most of the links from the first post here are dead... :(

Yeah, full version and I have the soundfont player.

Granted I'm new to FL, but I'm not new to technology or music programs and I've been able to get all my other soundfonts to work

Has anyone else been able to get these soundfonts to work? I'm eager to find good soundfonts, as most of the links from the first post here are dead... :(

So can you describe the issue? It seems simple enough to just have a folder full of unpacked soundfonts to drag into FL's soundfont player, given you do have the full version of FL (unless the edition somehow matters? I'm not 100% sure on that).

What filetypes are the other soundfonts that work? Have you tried an external soundfont player, such as sfz or sforzando (two separate ones despite the similarity in name)?

So can you describe the issue? It seems simple enough to just have a folder full of unpacked soundfonts to drag into FL's soundfont player, given you do have the full version of FL (unless the edition somehow matters? I'm not 100% sure on that).

What filetypes are the other soundfonts that work? Have you tried an external soundfont player, such as sfz or sforzando (two separate ones despite the similarity in name)?

I haven't tried another soundfont player, but I have found one other soundfont that didn't work (since deleted) so it might not be something with the soundfonts themselves.

I just bought the full version of FL and the soundfont player a few days ago, so I'm up to date. I've downloaded about 150+ soundfonts and other than your batch, only 1 hasn't worked so far. It'd be nice if I could get them to work as I haven't found many good free Piano ones. :)

The process I use is the same for all my soundpoints; I unpack it if it is a sfArk or something like that and then add it to a folder within FL that shows up on the browser. I then drag+drop them to the pattern.

I'll keep tinkering and see if I can find out what it is.

EDIT:

I just deleted them and re-downloaded them, restarted FL, and they now work. Weirdest thing. I'm not familiar enough with FL to know what could have caused it; the original downloads may have been corrupted in some way but I'm not sure. Either way they're working, so I don't care.

Speaking of soundfonts, this has been a good resource:

http://soundfonts.homemusician.net/

Not as good as ones you'd pay for, but if you're just getting started with soundfonts and want something that doesn't sound like total garbage it's a good place to look.

Edited by Overswarm

Ive heard a few pieces of music recently that use sounds of radio tuning or something similar. Im talking about high pitched sine-wavish sounds changing pitch at random, not radio crackle or fuzziness. I have a COUPLE soundclips of this but I would like to be able to recreate it myself.

Does anyone know what I mean, or do I need to go on a scavenger hunt for what I'm talking about?

Ive heard a few pieces of music recently that use sounds of radio tuning or something similar. Im talking about high pitched sine-wavish sounds changing pitch at random, not radio crackle or fuzziness. I have a COUPLE soundclips of this but I would like to be able to recreate it myself.

Does anyone know what I mean, or do I need to go on a scavenger hunt for what I'm talking about?

Yeah, I've done something that I think is exactly like that on the Gunstar Heroes album. Basically you have a randomized LFO linked to pitch, and another (separate) randomized mild LFO on any filter knobs to make the timbre a bit more dynamic. If you go on my website and go to "Audio Reels", it's the demo on the very bottom.

Edited by timaeus222

and by randomized you mean using the "noise" setting on the lfo's oscillator ?

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to other than maybe a noise waveform for an oscillator, which is just white noise typically (pink noise also exists). An LFO can have a slope for its oscillation pattern. You're not guaranteed to have all of these, but you might have sine, triangle, square, reverse square (horizontally flipped), fin, reverse fin, and possibly randomized "glide" or "hold" which look like an irregular sawtooth and square wave respectively. Though LFO2 can be assigned to OSC1 if you want, etc., depending on your synth, it might be the case on some synths that there is a rigid structure where LFO1 is only for OSC1 and so on.

Edited by timaeus222

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda hard to hear, but it sounds like a variation on the 80's acid house bass with a little bit less resonance. Maybe you can apply the concept from here, which teaches how to make the acid house bass:

Basically, a pulse wave with overdrive and a certain amount of resonance. Not sure if your synth has a close enough filter, but that's the general description. XMF stands for Cross Modulation Filter, which is FM-like, and FilterFM makes the input signal modulate the cutoff (which is essentially self-FM)..

Edited by timaeus222

• 3 weeks later...

https://soundcloud.com/memtrixdub/memtrix-numbers-lftd015-out

At 0:44 there's a high synth with vibrato. Kinda hard to miss. I've been really unsuccessful in recreating it, or at least getting something similar to it. I think it might be sampled from something and synthesized, but I'm not sure...

I also feel like this was done in Massive... i'm literally just now starting to experiment with it, so if this sound is really easy to make, sorry...

Please help!

Have you tried adding some distortion? Oftentimes I can get my sounds to be much richer with simple distortion/overload (and occasionally some frequency self-modulation via the OSC input signal for misc. FM sounds). Or it could just be because your synth doesn't have an engine that creates waveforms sounding quite like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to make a bass similar to the one in these songs from Bear McCreary:

(00:22)

(00:54)

It's a layered bass with an awesome stereo effect.

I was able to synthesize its sub bass, but I'm having difficulties to make that top 'gritty' bass!

Does anyone know how to make such thing? Please? :)

• 4 weeks later...

Im interested in finding out some good starting points for creating more ambient textures in music. I really enjoy the soundscapes that bands like Solar Feilds use in alot of mixes they have. everything has an aggressive but still very ambient texture.

the song Random friday is a good example of an aggressive song with a good ambeince to it.

From listening , it sounds like the aggressivness comes from the low end elements of the music and they use grainy sfx to contrast the subdued but textured pads and reverbed fx. I however cannot seem to accurately reproduce really any of the FX.

from listening, do you guys have any pointers sound design-wise?

Edited by Esperado

Im interested in finding out some good starting points for creating more ambient textures in music. I really enjoy the soundscapes that bands like Solar Feilds use in alot of mixes they have. everything has an aggressive but still very ambient texture.

the song Random friday is a good example of an aggressive song with a good ambeince to it.

From listening , it sounds like the aggressivness comes from the low end elements of the music and they create use grainy sfx to contrast the subdued but textured pads and reverbed fx. I however cannot seem to accurately reproduce really any of the FX.

from listening, do you guys have any pointers sound design-wise?

+1 Someone please address this

Sounds like frequency modulation synthesis with some detuning, multiple voices, and waveshaping/distortion for the pad (somewhat low upper cutoff frequency), and there's granular synthesis on slightly bitcrushed vocals (saying "space") with automation on the grain width. New Sonic Arts Granite is great for the granular synthesis.

The radio FX is done with a white noise generator, some pitch bending, delay, and a little band passing.

The bass at 2:50 is a filter envelope saw bass with a really low upper cutoff frequency.

-----

Big pads are usually fattened with detuning, scaling the harmonics with light distortion, and widening the stereo image.

Edited by timaeus222

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It sounds like any synth with oscillator sync, keyfollow, and has filters that have resonance and drive/overload knobs, as well as assignable envelopes and (optionally) velocity sensitivity can do this. Here's a screenshot of what I did, and an example:

fyzudj.jpg

What's happening in the above pic is that a low cutoff saw wave with oscillator sync and a lot of resonance is being distorted. There's probably another way to do it, but this is what I did.

Edited by timaeus222

It's some super-distorted simple waveform. It might have a low pass filter with key follow on to let those high notes be really squelchy without having the lower ones be quite so shrill, but iono. Pretty much any synth + some distortion could make this.

Does anybody know what kind of synthesizer would be best for emulating the delayed synth that starts off this song?

it sounds kind of lo-fi, but not really..