Need a sample, synth, or effect? LOOK HERE!

zircon

Sytrus is great for this in FL because you can set up mod X to control the vibrato amount(and controlling the slides from the piano roll is way better than having a preset glide setting). You can put your triangle or whatever waveform in op 1, and have op 2 modulate it at 0x and a low hz setting like 4-8hz. Edit the volume = mod X amount and you can now trigger vibrato notes directly from the piano roll without mucking with automation. A little volume envelope on op 2 can also make it so the vibrato delays a bit...

I actually have a little template preset for this https://www.mediafire.com/?1y5p8g1qmc8raao

Harmor is also easy to set this up with, when I'm in FL I like to use those generators because it's easier to do things like this than with VSTs

You could also probably play with pitch = mod Y on op 2 to also control vibrato speed but I haven't done it yet

Sytrus is great for this in FL because you can set up mod X to control the vibrato amount(and controlling the slides from the piano roll is way better than having a preset glide setting). You can put your triangle or whatever waveform in op 1, and have op 2 modulate it at 0x and a low hz setting like 4-8hz. Edit the volume = mod X amount and you can now trigger vibrato notes directly from the piano roll without mucking with automation. A little volume envelope on op 2 can also make it so the vibrato delays a bit...

I actually have a little template preset for this https://www.mediafire.com/?1y5p8g1qmc8raao

Harmor is also easy to set this up with, when I'm in FL I like to use those generators because it's easier to do things like this than with VSTs

You could also probably play with pitch = mod Y on op 2 to also control vibrato speed but I haven't done it yet

Thanks so much! Its very easy to use and edit this preset, but i cant figure out how to cut off the preclick-noise that occurs on short tunes.

• 2 months later...
Random question, does anyone know if DirectX is still an active plugin type? Can't seem to find any DXi plugins around anywhere.

I know some of the instruments/effects that come with SONAR are DirectX, but I've never seen anything use the format beyond those. I don't think anyone's actively developing plugins with the format at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any Sonar samples or sounds? Like an underwater Sonar, the pinging sound.

You could always ask Rozovian; I mean he did make (or use?) SONAR noises for his Spume track for the Pokemon: The MissingNo Tracks album.

I can't find any good samples online (after a quick search, I'm sure after a few hours of knowledgeable scouring I could find something), so you may have to resort to making your own. While I'd like to say it's just a simple sine ping with some reverb, I'm not so sure that's actually the case.

As I said earlier, if you can't find a sample that you like (or if it's at a pitch you don't want and pitch adjustment isn't doing the job right), then you can always make your own.

After a quick test, a simple sonar ping would be a few layered sine pings at different pitches (I tested three). Make one of those sines your "main" sine, and pitch the other two an octave above and below your main sine, and cut these two down in amplitude so that they are barely audible, but add harmonic content to the sine. You will really want the higher sine to be next to non-existent (just enough to give some brightness to the ping), but how loud you want the lower sine is up to you; the more amplitude it has the more deeper body the ping gets, but it also feels heavier with it.

For the envelopes, it's really up to you, you can either have the percussive sound of a low-to-no attack, or you can round it off a bit to give it a rebounded feel of echoing off of twenty-some underwater surfaces.

And then go crazy on reverb to actually make it sound underwater. And I mean crazy.

Edited by Anorax

You could always ask Rozovian; I mean he did make (or use?) SONAR noises for his Spume track for the Pokemon: The MissingNo Tracks album.

I can't find any good samples online (after a quick search, I'm sure after a few hours of knowledgeable scouring I could find something), so you may have to resort to making your own. While I'd like to say it's just a simple sine ping with some reverb, I'm not so sure that's actually the case.

Thanks for the help as well :)!

Thanks for helping me find some Sonar Sounds :D!!

They sound great!

I really like the first one you linked, but if it's free then why does it say demo when I load it up into Kontakt? Am I doing it wrong?

Strange. I just now got to downloading and trying it, and it works. I went through the Files menu and navigated to where it was, and I could load it. Maybe you went to the Libraries tab? It's not registered to run fully on Kontakt Player, and IIRC, it shows up there if it is. Might just be because it's for a full version of Kontakt, buuuuut it's still free. :)

http://oi57.tinypic.com/4q615j.jpg

Edited by timaeus222

Do you not know how Kontakt works, Timaeus? :P

If you don't have the full version of Kontakt, you can't run 3rd party unlicensed libraries without restriction. An .nki loading up as "DEMO" means he doesn't own the full version.

Well, yeah, but if it's registered with NI for Kontakt Player, then that's all fine and dandy and you can just use it for completely free on a free sampler—and this library isn't available for Player. Haven't had issues with a "DEMO" message in a good long while, but yeah, that was in the back of my mind. Been using Kontakt for about a year now, so it's not new info; just wanna make sure there isn't some other piece of information that was missing. If I don't know something with certainty, I try not to say it like I do. ;) I'm no expert on Kontakt, but no newbie either. =P

Edited by timaeus222

• 2 weeks later...

In case anybody is looking for solo, divisi or large ensemble strings, I wanted to mention that I'll be doing a huge round-up and review series for the July issue of SoundBytes Magazine at www.SoundBytesMag.net.

So I wanted to know: what libraries would you be curious about? What sort of tests/examples/comparisons would you guys like to hear?

Here are the string related products that we have started reviewing for the issue.

- Embertone Blakus Cello 1 (we will likely include Friedlander Violin 1.5, too, if done in time)

- pocketBlakus (legato and spiccato versions)

- Prague Solo Strings

- SimpleSamSamples Signor Paganini

- VSL Solo Strings I Full

- Cinematic Strings 2.11

- XSample Chamber Ensemble

- Acoustica Audio Stradipad

- 8Dio Adagio and Adagietto

What other string or solo string libraries would you most like reviews of? Spitfire Audio has said they may try to supply libraries for the issue, and I have licenses for Hollywood Strings and Strezov Sampling's Cornucopia and TIckle. Most developers have been happy to provide NFRs in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know of a free alto flute vsti for Windows? I have a standard flute that I can probably use instead but I think the alto will be the perfect thing to put it over the top. :smile:

I'm also looking for some free bass drum stuff. You know, the big booming concert-style bass drums that ring. I'm looking for both a "hit" on the drum and a roll. Doesn't have to be a plugin. If anybody can point me to some good .wav files I can work with that.

Thanks!

Does anybody know of a free alto flute vsti for Windows? I have a standard flute that I can probably use instead but I think the alto will be the perfect thing to put it over the top. :smile:

I'm also looking for some free bass drum stuff. You know, the big booming concert-style bass drums that ring. I'm looking for both a "hit" on the drum and a roll. Doesn't have to be a plugin. If anybody can point me to some good .wav files I can work with that.

Thanks!

Sonatina has one: http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/

@Devsman

There's some free big hits in this thread.

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39219&highlight=free+samples

And my apologies if this has been mentioned before - I've only read some of the posts in such a long thread :) - but there are several free orchestral (and otherwise) instruments listed in this thread.

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27876&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fortissimo+trombone

@Devsman

There's some free big hits in this thread.

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39219&highlight=free+samples

And my apologies if this has been mentioned before - I've only read some of the posts in such a long thread :) - but there are several free orchestral (and otherwise) instruments listed in this thread.

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27876&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fortissimo+trombone

Impressive!! Most impressive. The guy apparently did music for Transcendence and Invasion - downloading all 3 packs now :D

Wow I wasn't expecting a reply so soon. :smile:

I think I may just use that standard flute instead. My project demands a little longer duration than those samples provides, but there are lots of great samples in here so I'm definitely keeping them. Thanks.

And the big hits are great too. I think I can use some of these. Thanks to you as well!

@Devsman Just wanted to mention that there's a "tin alto flute" in the free thread om VI-Control that I linked to earlier, in case you didn't audition that yet.

Also, I have a vague recollection that EastWest may have included one in the old EWQLSO play free version, if you can still find that hosted anywhere since I think they discontinued it.