Psycho Pinball (DOS) - Circus Table

Circus table from Psycho Pinball!

Part of the source used in the intro

Part of the source that was used in the other parts

Full source

---

WIP (2019/08/04)

Nothing like coming back to old nearly finished stuff.

I didn't really do a lot about the ending. Shortened the intro a little. Maybe it's passable anyhow. Chiseled the middle quite a bit and made the bass filtering more interesting.

---

WIP (2016/04/15)

Mixing improvements. Close to finished I think, I need to consider the mixing of the bass end, I'd be interested in thoughts about that (and the mixing in general).

---

WIP (2016/03/18)

Some variation (such as start/stop shenanigans) for the "chorus" repeat before the outro, compression on the hihats & snare  and maybe some other tweaks. The big bass drum distorts the mix here and there (definitely needs some attention), and the bass is kind of plain (but maybe ok?).

---

WIP (2015/02/15)

I've been sitting on this for quite a while, some feedback would be nice! This is from PRC round 276. Love the game, not a fan of the circus music, but there was one part I liked and felt could use, so I used that part. I didn't find a video with just the music, but I think it all (or at least most of it) is played in the gameplay video above.

Edited by evktalo
small improvements

• 4 weeks later...

Hey evktalo, I've never heard the source song before so it's new to me, and I'm listening to your most recent mix only (2016/04/15), but here's some of my thoughts.

I like the way the mix starts, with the introductory synth sounding compressed and then gradually increasing in clarity. The first 22 seconds or so I found kind of static, perhaps because the lead synth (sounds sort of mallet-like) is hitting a lot of the same notes/intervals in sequence and I feel like I'm waiting for things to pick up and get more interesting. I also find the transition at 0:28 to get a bit uncomfortably loud and crunchy, but that might be personal preference (struck me as a bit jarring).

But things pick up at 30 seconds. I enjoyed the synth lead that comes in at 0:41 quite a bit, it's got a good timbre and I especially like the two ascending pitch-bends at 0:55. Everything melody-wise from 0:30 to 1:24 I found fairly engaging, but I think one of the issues with this section is that the percusion is very same-y and seems repetitious. It ends up being about a minute of not much rhythmic change, which undermines some of the melodic variation and makes the section seem more homogenous than it is. 2:15 - 2:30 also has percussion that is reminiscent of this part and seems to have the same problem.

The breakdown at 1:24 is a good change of pace and I enjoyed it. But it's repeated later at 2:30 in a very similar way, which lessens the impact of it the second time. The piece also ends in a way that's not particularly satisfying, it seems abrupt and it's at the end of a section that isn't much different from what we've already heard before. I think 2:30 up until the end of the song should go in a more distinct direction, and conclude in a way that gives the listener a sense of completion.

Also: in general there's a lot of neat synth accents that add good color to the song: for instance the supporting rising notes at 0:50, 1:05 (this one is faint and almost flute-like and was a nice touch), and 2:14. These kept up my interest and seemed to stand out appropriately in the mix.

• 3 years later...

Nothing like coming back to old nearly finished stuff.

I didn't really do a lot about the ending. Shortened the intro a little. Maybe it's passable anyhow. Chiseled the middle quite a bit and made the bass filtering more interesting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4whmcktrcf7nj9h/eino_keskitalo-kamomilla-20190804-fc4.mp3?dl=0

Edited by evktalo
minor update to the final candidate