Sonic The Hedgehog Metal Medley!

Hey, welcome! You're good, this is exactly the right place to post. Neat video, too, thanks a ton for sharing! 

I see you've got this tagged as Eval -- generally, what that signifies is that you want a workshop staff member to come and give feedback on a mix that's been going through iterations here in the workshop, and it's not usually a tag applied to a thread with only one post. If you want some technical feedback on the song and the mix, you'll certainly get that! However, this does appear to be a released song already, so not sure if that's something you're still looking for. Obviously, if you were trying to get this posted on OCR, it'd have trouble on account of being strictly a medley, but I'm sure if you were looking for technical feedback on the mix 'n such, I and other would be happy to give that if you want it.

Wow, the metal genre applied to the first Sonic soundtrack works surprisingly well! I really like what you did with the rhythm guitar throughout and how you kept it varied. I especially enjoyed the interpretation of Spring Yard Zone, Scrap Brain Zone, and Final Zone. Actually, I'd love to see what you could do with arranging just one of those themes, since there seems to be a lot of potential there with this genre. Some of the transitions are a little sudden (like between Star Light and Scrap Brain), but they work for the most part. I'd also love to see more variation in the guitar range and see what you can do; I bet you have more than a few tricks up your sleeve. On another note, what program do you use for drums? They sounded really crisp and it works really well here.

Thanks for sharing!

Apologies for the belated reply guys. Been away from home the past couple of days. Firstly, thanks! Really, really glad you both enjoyed it! 

Flex - I've removed the "eval" tag. I'm just happy to share and I'm still learning the ropes of the forum. I'll get there! :P 

Zorrakh - Agreed about some of the transitions. A little clunky at points. I was aware of time and I didn't want to spend too long on each section, although, some turned out a bit longer than others. The whole thing actually started years ago when I used to drum along on pillows to OST's and I always thought, "I should do a Sonic medley in the vein of Metallica". Few years later, I finally got a semi-decent setup and started doing these things from home. For the rhythm guitar, I generally just followed the bass - something that's very common in metal. However, in the Sonic OST, the bass lines moves around quite a bit, rather than grooving on root notes - for the most part. You could probably tell I was a little bit stumped in "Labyrinth Zone", as I played it safe with chord stabs and dead notes :P. Something I found when playing the main melodies on this particular medley was that they sound quite thin - not tonally speaking. I don't know how to explain it very well. It just lacked emphasis. So, that's why a lot of the melodies are double tracked and/or harmonizing using an octave down/up effect. On my guitar, I have 21 frets (high C#) so, I was lacking a higher range on some parts - such as the secondary melodies on Scrap Brain Zone. That was done tracking 2 guitars, each an octave up, and one detuned a few cents, for that real nasty kinda' demented violin/metallic synth sound! I rewrote all the drums from scratch and used Addictive Drums (with the metal kit) for samples. Definitely got more up my sleeve!

...and thanks again ;)

I think it's a good medley and your playing is solid.

I'd say that the mix could use work, though. Your rhythm guitars sound louder than everything else. The drums are a bit quiet and while I can hear the leads fine, I feel they should have more width to them and a slight volume increase as well. Maybe pan those 3rd harmonies and add a good stereo delay to the single-tracked leads.

That's all I have to complain about.