Liontamer

Contact Info

* ReMixer name: TheoConfidor

* Email address: slr_handbell@comcast.net

* Userid (number, not name) on our forums: Don't know

ReMix Info

* Name of game(s) ReMixed: Brainwave

* Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Intro, Scenario 3

* Additional information about game: Game is developed by Dexterity Software (http://www.dexterity.com/) for the PC, AFAIK the programmer/composer/graphic artist is Steve Pavlina.

* Link to the original soundtrack: Entire soundtrack not available. The two songs I remixed, I ripped from the game (they were a form of midi) and you can download them here: and

* Comments about the mix: Even since I played the shareware version of this at a friend's house when I was 8 or 9, the melody of the intro music has been stuck in my head. For Dwellings of Duels free month, I decided to remix the intro track, and after messing around with it a bit, I added the music for Scenario 3. Mostly it's a pretty straight-forward cover, with some added sections and richer instrumentation. All the leads are played live by me, using keyboard and guitar. This piece was really difficult to master, because of it's dynamics, so I asked zircon to help me out with mastering it, and he did a great job!

Link to the remix:

----------------------------------------------------

Brainwave OSV - Intro & SC3

Thanks for hosting the sources. Nice intro here. Beats added in at :51 were pretty plain and didn't fit the rest of the tone here. Wish the balance among the instruments was more distinct. The lead and supporting synths hardly sounded out versus the beats. Especially during 1:45-2:01, I felt most of the synths were pretty bland/flat.

Solid enough transition at 2:25 to the next section, though that more distorted-type synth pattern backing the track up until 3:05 sounded slightly out of synch the whole time. Good energy though changing up the supporting synths at 3:05 for a tenser atmosphere before going more minimalistic at 3:37. Loving how the arrangement constantly evolved, with the track building right back up over the next minute or so, finally reaching the guitar-driven portion at 4:25. The guitar was unfortunately drowned down too much in its supporting role; simply sounded like a very loud guitar performance was muted after the fact, rather than being played with less intensity.

The transition at 4:57 was ultra-sloppy with the rapid fire drums cutting out abruptly and the new beats starting up just as abruptly with a cymbal smash. The clean, upfront, syrupy synth lead also ended without fanfare to be replaced by a melancholy electric guitar on lead that sounded very distant. Something should have been done to make the switch more gradual and logical. The beatwork was REALLY flimsy and the tone out of place for the quasi-wailing guitar work starting up at 4:57. The crossfade transition into the solo piano for the close was a bit too fast (in this case, notice how the drums seemed to cut out), but the arrangement there was pretty solid.

Gotta fashion some better textures for the mix and achieve a better balance among your sounds. The arrangement's pretty good, but your sounds are holding you back. Ironically enough, this has got to be the third track in this batch where that's been the case. Most times, we hardly ever get a track where the arrangement is pretty strong, but the recording quality is subpar or the production is weak, yet we're getting more. In any case, I always enjoy your arrangements, Silas, but now you gotta improve your hand at the other half of the equation. zircon in particular may have some suggestions you can use, since he's familiar with the track.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

For it's length, I don't think this has enough progression, and the synth sounds could do with some more variation to make the srrangement more interesting. I felt that the drum work could have sounded a little warmer, I personally found the hats to be quite harsh sounding.

At 2.26, the bass synth was out of time - while it may be a nod to the source, I think it would have been better to have it quantized 1/16. Nothing to add that the other judges haven't already said.

NO (resubmit)