David Hayter = No Love For Kojima

AngelCityOutlaw

As everyone's least favorite game "journalism" site reports, David Hayter is feeling a bit salty over not being Snake in MGSV. He explains how he was basically ditched and that Kojima had tried to replace him with Kurt Russell back in the early 2000s.

On the one hand, his frustration is understandable, but on the other - he's an actor/writer and should know that this kind of thing happens all the time. If we're all being honest Kurt Russell and Kiefer Sutherland are much more experienced actors, especially when it comes to action characters.

I'm not surprised Kojima would want Russell, who inspired Solid Snake, or another Hollywood star to be the voice of the character. I don't get the vibe that it was anything personal, but Hayter seems to have taken it quite personally and lashed out and that may have been a bad move. 

He wanted Kurt Russell because Kurt Russell's character in the "ESCAPE FROM" series was the entire inspiration for Solid Snake. It makes total sense that Kojima would want him for the original Snake because Kurt Russell was basically the original Snake. He should kinda be lucky that he got to keep his gig as long as he did, but replacing him with Keifer Sutherland later didn't make as much sense.

Oh well, Hayters goin' hayt.

34 minutes ago, Meteo Xavier said:

He wanted Kurt Russell because Kurt Russell's character in the "ESCAPE FROM" series was the entire inspiration for Solid Snake. It makes total sense that Kojima would want him for the original Snake because Kurt Russell was basically the original Snake. He should kinda be lucky that he got to keep his gig as long as he did, but replacing him with Keifer Sutherland later didn't make as much sense.

Oh well, Hayters goin' hayt.

20 minutes ago, DusK said:

My friend and I were in agreement that Hayter being replaced by Sutherland was going to be an upgrade.

I say all of that in the past tense because Sutherland had like a paragraph's worth of dialogue in MGSV, so that was kind of disappointing.

Probably charges like $500 per word, so I'm not surprised.

Kojima is certainly allowed to cast whoever he wants as Snake, but I don't think that Hayter is unreasonable to be a little salty about it given that he's voiced the character for like five games and 15 years.  David Hayter is Snake for a lot of people, so giving him the boot at this point seems like a terrible idea, and I don't think Hayter is out of line for saying he was disappointed and upset by it.  It's not like he was screaming abuse or swearing up a storm or anything, he was just giving his thoughts on the subject, and his thoughts were "that sucked, I didn't like it".

Wow! Lotta hate for the guy who basically legitimized voice acting and dialogue in video games...well I guess we're each going to have our opinions on the matter, but the long and short of it is Kojima's house, Kojima's rules. However, Haytar was the perfect balance of homage and innovation and looking back, I wouldn't want Snake Plissken in MGS, it would be too obvious of an (Instert-Established-Action-Hero) pitfall that Video Games kept falling into when they were coming in to they're own as a separate medium of art. Haytar has become a pillar of Video Game Voice acting and thus probably should continue in that role. Also this.... Kiefer is just too off-putting. So to sum up, I'll take Guyver over California Badass/Vampires andy day of the week. 

Kotaku isn't my least favorite blog, but I wouldn't judge it by standards any higher than blog standards.

Hayter is overrated unless you listen to him and his die-hard fans. Most other people I talk to who aren't die-hard fans are just like who the hell is that guy and why won't he just go to acting school?

On the other hand Kojima is also overrated. He's known for MGS series and its incoherent stories and subpar presentation per game.

So IMO they kind of deserve each other, so I can understand why Hayter is butthurt.