OCR00252 - Castlevania "Wickedest Child"

m68030

• 1 month later...

Geez, This is GREAT! If all of Chikusho Sound Team's songs sound like this, I have a list of songs they should do. Hey, I want every remix they do and you should get it too. So far they have been able to take 2 older games and make them sound like they should be on what?! PS9?! Yeah! Castlevania is the best I've heard! 10/10 Guys! :twisted:

• 8 months later...

Kudos to you two guys for taking the road less traveled musically. The synths sound nice and the guitar playing is top notch. I really don't have anything bad to say except... why can't this be longer? When this level of playing comes together, you kinda want it to last longer. Hell... it could be a simple repeating and I wouldn't care when it sounds like this :D

Either way, very :nicework: guys.

• 3 months later...

Wow. These guys really are pro sound. The whole mix is a little quiet if you ask me, but all you have to do is turn it up so that isn't exactly a horrible problem or anything. This really thrashes, reminds me of 80's hair metal. For some reason though, this doesn't get on my nerves at all like the hair metal does. The way this is recorded it sounds like it's a bootleg, which makes me wonder if it was recorded in a large room or something... Overall, very good stuff.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess im the first person to say something bad about this mix...

The guitars could have been mixed better... No doubt that there is skill there, and the composition itself is good, but the rhythm guitar is all midrange, and it lacks the low end that you need for the style your representing. I can hear some palm muting being attempted, but the effect falls short because of the lack of low end... also me thinks the drums are lacking... it seems like this mix should be set at a higher tempo given its genre...and i think more time should have been spent on the drum programming...

but flaws aside, there is some great musicianship going on here.

• 2 years later...

This is a great epic metal song, but the reverb is completely out of control for a studio recording. However, it sounds like it was played live, and that is pretty cool I suppose.

I can't think of many remixes on the site which have a distinct live feel to them, but it's something that makes this mix stand out from the other castlevania metal remixes.

The guitar playing is clean enough, though some of the Rhythm playing could have been a little less muddy in the EQ; it seems to be pushing into the lead's space. The solos are good and well composed, and not even the cop out fade at the end detracts.

I dig it. :D

• 1 year later...

The song definately feels like it was played live, though overall the volume seems a bit low. Guitar solos are really well done, and the synth combination works quite well.

I can't say I really felt 'grabbed' by this mix, though. Maybe it's the low volume, or the unfamiliarity of the source, but there's something about it that prevents it from being pushed to the next level for me. I'll have to think on it for a while.

Still worth getting, and a nice job by these two mixers.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

That's some smooth teamwork between the wailing guitar and the pearly synth. Set against a bed of reverbed drums and cymbal clashes, the two stars take turns playing Wicked Child, the first jamming through the more in-your-face parts of the melody and the second following up with the more sensible sections. The guitar gets wilder during the second iteration, bobbing its head and shaking vampire killer sweat loose in the process. Its liberal tour de force leads us into an anxious Bloody Tears, which sadly doesn't feel welcome enough to stay longer. It almost sounds like half the song has been cut - I imagine a "complete" version would explore Bloody Tears further, return to Wicked Child, and then rock out a solid closure. Maybe it's just teasing us with the message: "To be continued... in Castlevania 2..."

Early fadeout notwithstanding, this is still some rockin' nostalgia.

• 6 months later...

Wicked Child is probably my favorite old school Castlevania song. I mean, I like Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears and whatnot, but Wicked Child was just way too catchy.

To be honest, I'm not terribly impressed with the guitar in this song. Something about it just sounds... muffled to me? Muddied? Just something about it isn't very clean, and it doesn't stand out to me. It gets better about halfway in, but I'd have liked to have heard that throughout the entire song. The arrangement itself isn't too inspired either. Seems kind of straight forward to me.

It's not bad overall, and definitely worth checking out to at least give it a chance, but it's not my favorite rendition of Wicked Child.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00252 - Castlevania "Wickedest Child"