HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 52: NieR - Grandma

Midihttp://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP52_Grandma.mid

Youtube: 

Deadline: April 14 Thurs 1PM
Vote Ends: April 16 Saturday 11PM 

Submit your remix Here when completed. 
**If you have technical difficulty with account activation at ThaSauce, please contact me via PM and I will submit your track and will also tally your vote**

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines
1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
6. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

So yeah.. I didn't take too much risks. The original song and this midi are so perfect that I didn't have the heart to make a proper remix ^^

So I took the midi, made a few changes, and added the voice part with some flute and a bass. The result here.

I post it on thasauce too but it could maybe just be a bonus as I made too few changes. Your call on this!

I hope there will be some great remix too, this track really deserves it :) 

Gonna have something submitted for sure. Just gotta touch it up a little bit. The midi does have a lot of the vocal notes, but for some reason it's just the piano for the first half with the vocals and the rest of the instrumentation coming in later.

On another note this game looks AWESOME, and the first one is in the Playstation store with a spinoff(from PlatinumGames, no less!) supposedly coming this year. Between that and Horizon Zero Dawn I might just have to spring for a PS4 this year, budget allowing.

I'm in. However is 1PM on Thursday the best you can do? :-) If I need to reamp heavy guitars the neighbors might get pissed if I do it too early. I just got off a double. I happened across Larry's post 

On 4/4/2016 at 11:53 AM, Liontamer said:

Gimme something postable on this. :-) Love "Grandma"

even though I had read the thread before a couple times. I must have missed his post. So that inspired me to write the song this morning. I am a HUGE NIER fan, of the actual game AND its soundtrack, and I was wondering what would finally drive me to remix the unremixable music, and I guess it is this. I wrote the whole thing and started doing modulation on the LASS violins before I got relieved unexpectedly at work, guy came early. It was awkward. 

Started around 2:30am, got interrupted at 6:14am while I was just sprucing up stuff after finishing the arrangement. 

Thinking of doing acoustic guitars, heavy guitars, not sure on vocals but I'll give it a try. If it sounds like that time I did Latin vocals and everyone hated it, I might not. 

Sorry if I come across as an arrogant butt with this post, didn't mean to. Just really excited because I love the soundtrack, didn't expect to be entering, and managed to write it as fast as I used to write songs around 2011- 2012. It felt like going back to old times. Though of course it's a very repetitive source, and I tried to expand within the constraints of that to make it interesting while still being true to the original - the goal I set out for was specifically to make something that Larry could post. 

And uhhh... I work Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon, so that's why I'm asking how solid 1PM is on Thursday. Like I said, I JUST got off a 3PM to 7AM shift.  And Dark Souls 3 comes out at midnight (the real problem)

Not my intention to mess anything up for anyone or make it unfair. If it's 1PM then it's 1PM. 

Though 5PM would be awesome. ^_^

OK one more aside, sorry. The only reason this came out a little more typical and not an electronic piece is because of the disparity between my laptop at work and the desktop at home. I have Battery 4 on the laptop but not on the desktop, I have no way to make electronic drums on the desktop right now. Go figure.  Dunno if that's interesting to anyone at all but I ramble when I'm exhausted, so catch you later. 

On 11/04/2016 at 3:53 AM, Brandon Strader said:

I'm in. However is 1PM on Thursday the best you can do? :-) If I need to reamp heavy guitars the neighbors might get pissed if I do it too early. I just got off a double. I happened across Larry's post 

even though I had read the thread before a couple times. I must have missed his post. So that inspired me to write the song this morning. I am a HUGE NIER fan, of the actual game AND its soundtrack, and I was wondering what would finally drive me to remix the unremixable music, and I guess it is this. I wrote the whole thing and started doing modulation on the LASS violins before I got relieved unexpectedly at work, guy came early. It was awkward. 

Started around 2:30am, got interrupted at 6:14am while I was just sprucing up stuff after finishing the arrangement. 

Thinking of doing acoustic guitars, heavy guitars, not sure on vocals but I'll give it a try. If it sounds like that time I did Latin vocals and everyone hated it, I might not. 

Sorry if I come across as an arrogant butt with this post, didn't mean to. Just really excited because I love the soundtrack, didn't expect to be entering, and managed to write it as fast as I used to write songs around 2011- 2012. It felt like going back to old times. Though of course it's a very repetitive source, and I tried to expand within the constraints of that to make it interesting while still being true to the original - the goal I set out for was specifically to make something that Larry could post. 

And uhhh... I work Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon, so that's why I'm asking how solid 1PM is on Thursday. Like I said, I JUST got off a 3PM to 7AM shift.  And Dark Souls 3 comes out at midnight (the real problem)

Not my intention to mess anything up for anyone or make it unfair. If it's 1PM then it's 1PM. 

Though 5PM would be awesome. ^_^

OK one more aside, sorry. The only reason this came out a little more typical and not an electronic piece is because of the disparity between my laptop at work and the desktop at home. I have Battery 4 on the laptop but not on the desktop, I have no way to make electronic drums on the desktop right now. Go figure.  Dunno if that's interesting to anyone at all but I ramble when I'm exhausted, so catch you later. 

Well, judging from all of the hype and interest, I decided to push back the due date to Friday the 15th at 1PM.  Voting due date will be the 17th Sunday at 8PM

edit

Glad that this inspired you to do something cool Brandon - can't wait for you to hear it.  Might encourage me to do something, probably a piano/synth cover or something lol.  

Oh man, that is awesome Hoboka! I was just about to work on the song again, but I think by the time I was done with heavy guitars it would have been too late to reamp them, so this will definitely be a nice change (for my neighbors!) Apologies to anyone who may feel that this is unfair to them :cry:  Definitely if I had decided to enter sooner I wouldn't have had to try to wrangle what minuscule amount of time I have left around work and being considerate to the neighbors so it's my bad. 

YES! Please enter too, Hoboka! Fancy front page mixpost-having competitor

Alright, so the 3 facets of remix: The arrangement, the production, and the performance. I really like the arrangement a lot, though I kept it brief due to the repetition, I felt like it could have gone longer. So what I think will happen is that it will succeed in its strength on the production and performance front, or at least that is the intention. We'll see if the execution pans out. :) 

12 hours ago, Brandon Strader said:

Oh man, that is awesome Hoboka! I was just about to work on the song again, but I think by the time I was done with heavy guitars it would have been too late to reamp them, so this will definitely be a nice change (for my neighbors!) Apologies to anyone who may feel that this is unfair to them :cry:  Definitely if I had decided to enter sooner I wouldn't have had to try to wrangle what minuscule amount of time I have left around work and being considerate to the neighbors so it's my bad. 

YES! Please enter too, Hoboka! Fancy front page mixpost-having competitor

Just noticed that Jaded By Death got posted.  I probably won't aim for OCR-worthy with this source tune, but I will aim for something half-decent at least :) 

On 6-4-2016 at 5:32 AM, David "Cookie" said:

So yeah.. I didn't take too much risks. The original song and this midi are so perfect that I didn't have the heart to make a proper remix ^^

So I took the midi, made a few changes, and added the voice part with some flute and a bass. The result here.

I post it on thasauce too but it could maybe just be a bonus as I made too few changes. Your call on this!

I hope there will be some great remix too, this track really deserves it :) 

Your mix will be a bonus for sure since you picked this awesome source as last rounds winner.:)

The source is slow but nice, at some point, my mix was 8:27 long. Let's see if I can short it down to get an entry in.

16 minutes ago, evktalo said:

Nothing wrong with 8min+ pieces! :)

I only did a 7min+ piece once, back in ORC110. Statistically that was one of the best song I ever made.

For now I try to get it under 5 minutes. I don't want to speed up the tempo too much and I also don't want to turn this into a hardstyle / trancey song since this is against the rules. I might do that later after voting by changing the samples, speeding it up and submit it as a troll bonus mix.

1 hour ago, Bundeslang said:

Your mix will be a bonus for sure since you picked this awesome source as last rounds winner.:)

The source is slow but nice, at some point, my mix was 8:27 long. Let's see if I can short it down to get an entry in.

Yeah.. I totally win a 1 entry contest xD I'm happy to see there's enthusiasm for this one though, NieR soundtrack really deserves much more attention!

I'm excited to listen to all your remix :)

14 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

Ah thanks for pointing that out Bundeslang.  I made the alterations for his submission text.

The site works again (probably it was just a local problem since Brandon was able to post 11 hours ago).

This will be a good round, five songs already.

Another milestone is coming up, this time for Compo ThaSauce: submission #10.000. There are not exactly 10.000 songs posted or downloadable since edited / deleted files also count (i.e. when someone posts a mix, reworks it later and resubmits). My submission was #9.800, Supercoolmike's submission was #9.801. Messire Cookie's mix was #9.742...

Which remixer and which contest will have the 10.000 submission (my guess is OHC or 2HTS)? Of course it will take some weeks. If it's a PRC song, I'll give that song a bonus point. :)

I might do a statistical analysis when the moment is there.

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 4 entries this round.
  • There are 1 Bonus entries this round
  • There is a voter bonus this round
  • David "Cookie" has a vote worth 2x 
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please  
  • Participants may not vote for themselves   

Vote ends 11pm Sunday April 17th

comments:

Probably won't be able to post results until monday the 18th, since I'm attending my cousin's bridal shower this Sunday. 

18 hours ago, Brandon Strader said:

My mix is done and on the page, as well as links to mp3 and wav :D Haha, didn't mean to rhyme..

What is my title: something some people can never do... (sad)... or maybe an apology for past poorly rolled r's

Maybe both.

Wish I posted something posthaste, but I couldn't get over my anxiety and lazy-assedness.  What a waste!