OCR03822 - *YES* Seiken Densetsu 3 "The Eternal Heartbeat of Mana" *PROJECT*

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

• Your ReMixer name: Archangel
  • Your real name: Jaka Čibej (That's a Slovenian male name, short for Jakob - just to avoid any sex-change stuff, that happens kind of often. XD )
  • Your email address: jaka (dot) cibej (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Your website: 
  • Your userid: 23355 (http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=23355)

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Seiken Densetsu 3
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Return to Forever, Where Angels Fear to Tread
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.: Hiroki Kikuta; SNES;
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): Return to Forever, Where Angels Fear to Tread
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

Greetings, almighty primarchs!

This is my eleventh submission. It's one of the project mixes I made for Songs of Light and Darkness.

This arrangement took a lot of time to finish. It's the longest track I've made so far, including my original work. I had to split it into multiple project files because my PC at the time was too weak to handle all the samples and plugins at once. If I were making this arrangement today, I'd probably take a very different approach to it, but all in all, I'm quite proud of the result.

The original track plays during the game's end credits, when Flammie is shown flying above the world. I followed a similar imagery with this arrangement. The track begins with the end of the final battle. The heroes, standing by the Mana Tree, witness small, but noticeable signs that the world is starting to recover - flowers springing to life, birdsong, and gentle rain. Realizing that they've succeeded in defeating the evil, they smile at each other, then summon Flammie and take to the air (1:04). In the dead of night, they fly across the landscapes of their world - over lush jungles, vast plains, insurmountable heights and tranquil seas - until they finally land in a forest not far from the shore (5:37). The town they are headed to is nearby, and they say goodbye to their flying friend, who spreads her (or is it his?) wings (6:35) and takes off once more. The heroes run towards the shore to catch a final glimpse of Flammie flying off into the distant horizon. They reach a cliff above the sea just as a great wave comes crashing into the rocks (8:05), spraying them with cold drops of sea water. A new dawn rises, and they sit quietly on the shore and enjoy a hard-earned moment of peace.

I hope you enjoy the track! Here's the link to the mp3:

Best wishes,

J.

This could probably be a DP, but I'm kinda tired so I'll make sure someone else listens to it to make sure. Love the lush soundscape here, as always. Jaka never fails to bring a wonderfully expanded view on the tracks he tackles. I also noticed a few staples, like the tinkling piano, and use of glockenspiel, which are a nice touch here. This mix in particular sets up a nice storyline, and the buildup to the conclusion of Where Angels Fear to Tread really works well here. I felt like the overall balance was good, with the leads clear but not overpowering, and the backing parts really supporting the writing.

Nice work, as per usual!

YES

I've already given this a full listen for source and quality when I reviewed it for the album, so this'll be pretty quick. Arrangement does wonders with the long source, and the production quality & orchestration is spot on, as expected from Archangel. It's an excellent arrangement that would be well placed on the front page.

YES

Just stopping by to drop the easiest vote of my life.  Fantastic arrangement with pristine quality and great humanization on everything.  Big fan of the nuances infused in the flutes,  the choirs towards the middle and the background drums and arpeggios that keep the pacing up in speed even though the legato strings are pretty upfront, it keeps the arrangement feeling dynamic.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/09/16 - (3Y) Seiken Densetsu 3 'The Eternal Heartbeat of Mana'

Well, this is an easy pass for sure! Beautiful soundscape for the whole duration, and nice progression in the arrangement. I will add that I'm not a fan of how the piano was handled, I think it could have used some more humanization, in my opinion. But this is amazing overall and should definitely be posted.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to PROJECT - (2015/09/16) *YES - TAG* Seiken Densetsu 3 "The Eternal Heartbeat of Mana"
  • DaMonz locked this topic