Miitomo

yangfeili

Didn't see a topic about Nintendo's first smartphone app yet.

https://miitomo.com/en/

I originally just signed up for the point bonuses for the new Nintendo rewards program, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It's got the usual "Acquire and spend digital currency to dress up your avatar" stuff going on, but the Q&A aspect which is shared among friends is kind of fun, as is the "Miifoto" feature. Here's my failed attempt to land a marketing job with Nintendo:

9d687c8cf93aa7e6

There's some odd quirks in how you can only add friends in person or via a linked Facebook/Twitter account. (You'd think it would allow for direct adding by NNID or through Miiverse, but nope.)

I'm curious to see if they expand the app in the future: I get a vague feeling we'll see some Animal Crosssing-esque furniture/room customization, and personally I think it would be neat if they added integration with the Badge Arcade.

Yeah, I thought it would link through NNID, considering you can link your My Nintendo account to it, but apparently it doesn't.  Or so I understand; I don't actually have any Wii U friends to try it out on.  Nor any Twitter or IRL friends on it, so I haven't been able to do a whole lot with the app thus far.

If anyone wants to friend me in Miitomo, just follow me on Twitter (@MindWandererB).

There is a workaround for rooted phones, but I actually unrooted my phone (whole reason I rooted it didn't work out anyways so I didn't really have a reason to keep it rooted).

I find it to be quite fun. Also it links with the new Nintendo Account, which is tied to your NNID. You can log into your Nintendo Account with your NNID if you need to, so it is linked to that. It is weird that you can't add Wii U friends on it though.

I decided to boycott Nintendo and never buy their products again, but since this app was free I checked it out. And it's actually pretty goofy for trolling and getting your character to say ridiculous things. I spent a lot of time trying to edit the voice to get it to be as funny as possible, but it's a lot of work. I've posted stuff on there I'd never post on FB because people could actually see it on facebook. So if anyone saw me on there, that explains whatever it was. ;) 

Aaaaand now it's gone. 

Haha, it was fun for a few days. Deleted it though!

8)

I use it for the reward points. My friend list is empty because the people I know IRL don't have Miitomo yet and it seems like they are dis-interested in it.

I don't know if I will add randos (random people) because that would defeat the purpose of the app that is tailored for school students and others who know each other via facebook or IRL.

I think it is limited so far though, I would like to see more decorating options and more mini-games and rewards. Maybe over time Nintendo will do more with this App that has potential. (=

8)

I have it, though it bugs me that you can't just add people without also having them on social media.

It's cute and...very weird. One of the most Japanese things I've ever played, and I'm including the Shin Megami Tensei series! Playing pachinko by literally using your friends as the ball is surreal.