OCR03503 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker "Historia Medley"

djpretzel

Relatively strong overall, but some portions stronger than others... some bits a little sparse. See what you think! - djp

RebeccaETripp
Rebecca Tripp

http://www.crystalechosound.com/
ID: 48262
Game(s): Wind Waker
Songs Remixed: Forest Haven, Makaar's Violin Practice, Sage Fado, Sage Rutella, Prologue, Credits
Song Title: Wind Waker Historia Medley

• 2 weeks later...

Medley alright.  I don't think the sources were blended together well.  The track didn't feel cohesive as a whole, just a collection of themes strung together... so I guess the track name is fitting.  The humanization overall is very weak for the most part, as instrument envelopes are very rigid and lacking human character and articulation.  Some sections feel very mechanical such as 1:31.  Source usage is very evident because the song sticks very close to the originals.

Some sections worked better than others, such as around the 6 minute mark when the sources are intertwined and play off each other, but I feel even these sections could've been improved with respect to the performances.

Overall this is lacking in the areas mentioned above, humanization, structure and interpretation.   It's not very far off the bar so a rework is doable.

NO (Resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/10/01 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 'Historia Medley'

Blocky timing on the leads at :12. To me, it sounds passable enough on that level, but I certainly noticed that. I've definitely taken issue with the humanization of Rebecca's pieces in the past, and NutS points out valid issues, but I thought what was here was ultimately fine, even if not as polished as it should have been. Perhaps it's because of the overall sample quality, or because of the instrument set compared to other mixes of hers where I went NO, but I thought the instrumentation here was solid enough where I, as a listener, though the tone of everything sounded realistic enough.

I thought the source intertwining that started at 5:41 was pretty effective, actually, and while some of the theme switches in the beginning could have been smoother, there wasn't anything particularly jarring about the flow of the medley or any of the theme changes for me. Melodically, things were close, but everything was personalized in terms of the instrumentation and overall adapted well for this genre.

I could definitely see this getting more NOs, and I'd love to hear improvement on the sample usage as well, but I'm cool with what's in place now and think it gets by. Good luck with the rest of the vote, and definitely come back to this with a little more TLC if this doesn't make it as is.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/10/01 - (1Y/1N) Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 'Historia Medley'
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

This one is pretty close. I am not a super fan of the medley aspect where it's just one theme after another, but I do agree with Larry that overall the flow between the tracks is pretty natural and it is pretty cohesive as a whole. The highlight I'd definitely the melding of the sources later in the track.

In the end it's coming down to the need for more humanization, especially in the earlier sections, but overall there's a bit of pervading blockiness. I do feel that one more pass there would really make a difference in the feel and really bring the track up that much more. Send this one back!

NO (resubmit)

Nice light vibes all round that builds up as the track progresses. I think you have some nice choices in instruments here taking turns at playing different parts and leading different sections. I didn't have may problems getting into this as far as the transition into different sources is concerned, parts mix together well, with no strange abrupt changes or feelings that things went too fast.

Everything seems to be mixed well, everything audible nice job there.

Sound quality for the most part is ok. I think the instruments could be slightly more realistic - I'm not as picky with these things as my fellow judges because I find piecing together something that sounds mostly natural already a challenge in itself and I feel you accomplish this well for the most part, even if your samples aren't the best quality out there. I will agree that some of the arrangement is stiff or feels overly sequenced and not as natural as it could be and that humanisation would go some way into taking this track to the next level. For me personally however, this doesn't detract from your tracks overall quality.

YES 

• 3 weeks later...

the shifting themes sound natural. yor transitions are well done, and the many variations in melody keep the piece sounding fresh. i can feel what some are saying about sample quality, but I’m cool with it. some instruments sound more unconvincing and stiffly sequenced, but there’s a lot of attention to detail and texture. well done.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, this is quite an ambitious arrangement. I think you did a great job writing a progression that makes a lot of sense and that tells an engaging story. I also think there's plenty of blending of the different themes, and the transitions are not a problem for me overall. There are weaker parts, and I'd say that 1:30-1:53 felt pretty awkward because of the mechanical sequencing, but other than that nothing stood out to me as problematic in the arrangement. There are a lot of great things to say about it. The change in instrumentation at 3:04 is a beautiful surprise. I *loved* the subtle reference to the ocean theme at 5:48. Zelda's theme being progressively introduced around 6:45, and the climax 7:00 onwards are gorgeous, and make for a very satisfying ending.

The sample quality isn't the best out there, and some more humanization could have helped make this better. The harp felt a bit too dry to me at times, which bothered me a little bit. I think there's plenty of attention to detail in the writing though, and I can easily overlook those issues. I can understand some more negative votes due to them, but I personally think this is over the bar.

Keep 'em coming, Rebecca! :)

YES

• 4 weeks later...

I like this combination. Overall, the sources that are used seem to ultimately build into something - it really doesn't feel like it's pieced together at all. There is some nice source blending, especially toward the end. The track really feels teleocentric (goal-oriented), which is absolutely great for making a track feel like one long track. I feel the arrangement aspect is fine.

The humanization of the track has its issues, but I don't think I can give anything more than the other six judges have provided. For me, it's good enough - the issues aren't bringing down the overall quality enough to justify a NO vote, but I hope Rebecca reads through the critiques and learns from them, for future pieces. There was one thing that wasn't mentioned that bugged me in the mixing, though; the lute at 4:47 is mixed just a little too loud and dry, in comparison to everything else. It's not too extreme, but it did strike me as out of balance.

I understand the grievances, but I think this one is good enough to post. I'll close this one off with a pass - great work, Rebecca!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03503 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker "Historia Medley"
  • Liontamer locked and unpinned this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic