OCR03329 - Golden Axe "Ravaged Metal"

Liontamer

Interpretation's on the ball with this one. I'm totally into the material that flows naturally out of Ravaged Village at 1:27 and 2:00. The backup guitar studiously creates expressive countermelodies that grow beyond the bass melody of the source.

Compared to the deliciously hot synthrock leads, the percussion's a tad soft (notably the cymbal hits), but it makes up for that with its flexibility: the drumwork at first appears on-the-beat basic until decisive moments and transitions cue it out of its comfort zone to act both faithful and enrichening.

Superb stuff, though I gotta say: poor Aerith. She's treated like a villain and didn't get to integrate her meows with the song in the video until the end. :(

The mixing on this one is just spot on. Even when the drummer is laying waste to that open hi hat halfway through, it doesn't overpower everything else. My fav part is the drumming going heavy on the toms at 0:38 instead of just relying on the beat from earlier. Didn't actually hear that until the second listen8O

I'm a sucker for any beat 'em up OSTs and remixes that make me wanna beat up some bad guys/creatures and this one definitely gets me pumped! Lots of tasty rhythms and leads tightly packed into 3 minutes. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to their YouTube channel...*scurries away*

I wasn't too excited about the synth design, but I did think the metal components played around with the rhythm well. The tight playing is another highlight, and that, along with the rhythmic creativity, kept the pacing from getting too repetitive. It's one of those situations where an interesting rhythm keeps things not overly predictable, so you keep wanting to listen to see how it turns out. Nice work! Great solos too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03329 - Golden Axe "Ravaged Metal"