Starting to draw character (resurrection thread)

Jared Hudson

On August 26, 2016 at 7:54 PM, TheChargingRhino said:

Can I ask if these are based off of something, or if you drew/own these characters-because I want to draw like this!!

Hi and thanks! The designs and characters are original, but inspired by many 90's styles and artists like Glen Keane, Tom Bancroft, etc. I'm currently making a graphic novel with these characters at http://cashmeresky.com I hope to have many pages launched for the public to read by early next year. :D

In the meantime, here's an Archer Portrait sketch I did. :D

image.jpeg

19 hours ago, eluukkanen said:

Hey I have to say I like your artstyle very much! You just got a subscriber ;)

Haha thanks. You caught me at a weird time doing people studies. I've been doing cartoon cats for years at this point. lol

Here's my attempt at a Scarlett Johansson study. It's not perfect by any means, but I had to try. :P

Scarlett-Johannson-Portrait.jpg

• 2 months later...

I promise I'm still alive. Haven't posted here in awhile cause I've been cranking on the graphic novel for months. I'm about to finish up the first 20 pages, but am not releasing until I have around 40. Hopefully it'll officially start around end of February 2017. Anyway, here's some sketches and a sneak preview of the graphic novel (text removed).

Enzo eating cereal

FEuz3bT.jpg

Collage of sketches from the graphic novel

pyazMx2.jpg

Page 01

w0O7ox0.jpg

Shot from the graphic novel

i7E6NhG.jpg

Another shot from the novel

QHTvTMN.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I lost my cat Helix over the holiday season due to a tragic disease. He died in my arms on Christmas Eve. This was surprisingly more emotionally difficult to do than technically. Helix will live on as Theo in my graphic novel. I will miss him.

Video:

Story: http://fxscreamer.deviantart.com/journal/Holiday-Greetings-and-a-bit-of-sorrow-653228972

Note: Helix always loved popcorn.

Helix-Theo-Hudson.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2016 at 6:46 AM, Jared Hudson said:

Well, clumsy me accidentally deleted the thread I made from over 2 years ago, well over 11,000 views (thanks guys). I was trying to edit a post and I couldn't delete something, and the "thread delete' button was very close to the editing window...sort of non-descript. I'd at least expect it to ask for confirmation of what I was about to do. Anyway, David Lloyd was kind enough to provide me with the HTML backups of everything over that two years so the pages are below. He said he MIGHT be able to somehow restore the specific thread but no promises. In the meantime, I'll pick up from where I last left off. I really messed up huh? :P

HTML Version February 2014 - February 2016 posts 

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8

And here I'll pick it up.

Hybolt City - Edison Square

Edison-Square.jpg

Kid Sketches

kid-sketches-refined.jpg

Arlo and Enzo exploring a map

Map-Kids.jpg

Arlo and Enzo Sherlock Holmes parody

Detective Kids.jpg

Daphne sketches

Daphne-Sketches.jpg

Daphne Secret Agent parody

Secret-Agent-Daphne.jpg

Spatula life study

arlo-spatula.jpg

All that you have created in drawings are all amazing! How I wish, I could learn to be creative as you are. Sketches are good! I find the colors nice as it gives your sketch a background. You have some super nice shading too!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After finishing a large section of the comic, I decided to take a few days break (or week). With that I dabbed around with some ideas and sketches, realizing I always wondered what it would be like if Arlo tried playing Archer in chess. While Arlo is definitely a bright kid, he's no match for Archer's wit and intellect. Archer's job is to think strategy, so chess is second nature to him. Considering Arlo loves to annoy Archer and exploit his OCD, this is a chance for Archer to shine. However, I hope he doesn't get TOO smug since he IS playing a 12 year old after all. :P

chess.thumb.jpg.925bfe333dd82d16e66f96a14d625943.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...