OCR03363 - *YES* Street Fighter 2 'Spitfire’s Boom'

Liontamer

Hi.

This is my first ReMix
Your ReMixer name Ganaé
Your real name Matthieu Loubiere
Your email address
Your website www.ganaemusic.com
Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile http://ocremix.org/community/user/32916-gana%C3%A9/

Name of game(s) arranged : Street Fighter 2
Name of arrangement : Spitfire’s boom
Name of individual song(s) arranged : Guile and Ryu’s Theme
Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) :  Isao Abe, Yoko Shimomura
Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)
Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
I’m not really good in english but I’ll try to explain my inspiration process. I’d just bought new orchestral samples few month ago and I seek an epic track to test it. I listened Street Fighter OST and I found that Ryu and Guile’s theme were very close. I tried to mix them and I find a way to make it epic. The name Spitfire is from the editor of the orchestral sample I used. 

Enjoy it.

--------------------------------------------

Onto negatives first, this was mixed too quietly, and I had to double the volume I typically listen at in order to hear everything at what I'm used to. If someone wanted to vote conditional or NO based on that, I could understand.

The orchestration was otherwise expressive and reasonably well-mixed compared to our standards. The Guile theme was creatively adapted here, and the Ryu theme cameo from 2:33-2:52 interwoven with Guile's theme before taking over as the focus until 3:19 was well-written.

There were times late in the track where I felt the percussion style dragged on a bit and this could have used more breaks from that, but it's a small nitpick and nothing that negatively impacted the judgement. Matthieu did a solid job varying up the textures and intensity, even within a relatively flatter dynamic curve. The choir part in particular added some good depth to the soundscape.

Good work all around, Matthieu, and nice job comfortably adapting and combining both themes in the orchestral setting. :-)

YES

• 4 weeks later...

wow, I certainly wasn't expecting these themes to work in this context.  I didn't have an issue with the overall mix level, and I think the instruments feel well balanced and although the mix seems less full than our usual orchestral submissions, it doesn't feel empty and everything sounds pretty clear.  I'm wondering which spitfire library you used for this, as I know spitfire is one of the absolute best out there, some of their libraries are even better than industry leaders like EWQL, but these instruments don't sound like the greatest, they're good enough and the performances are dynamic and reasonably humanized.  

The arrangement was the best part in my opinion, as Ganaé marries both sources seamlessly and in very natural ways. I think Guile's theme eased itself better into this genre, but Ryu's theme adaptation was ok, supporting by original additions to both the melodies and accompaniment.  towards 2:32 we hear the two themes interacting and it feels very natural.  I think the arrangement would've benefited from a short break, as the song is on an almost constant high, with some small exceptions  where things calm down slightly, but it doesn't last for too long.  Overall it doesn't hurt the arrangement but a break with a softened instrument palette would've added more depth to the structure.

I think this worked surprisingly well and it's an adaptation that caught me off guard in a good way.  Nice Work.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/11/11 - (2Y) Street Fighter 2 'Spitfire’s Boom'

Mmm, a nice, subtle take on Guile's theme, and Ryu's theme blends in convincingly. Not much I can say other than the arrangement is great. Raising the track up a tone makes for a real escalated climax, so that was a nice touch.

The samples did sound a little dull, but I think you gave it a great deal of humanization to bring out the best in them. The volume is a touch low, but in comparison to some other pure orchestral tracks on the site it's not significantly quieter, so I think it's still okay on that front. There are enough moments where the instruments drop out and come back to give it enough textural variety, for a piece of this length.

What can I say, this works. Now go home and be a family man!

YES

Pretty much on board with what's been said above.  Would've liked to have a bit of a volume boost as well, but it wasn't so much so that I had to turn up the knob TOO much.  Samples overall sound solid, though a bit dull as well as mentioned above.  Not sure if that's due to EQ/reverb settings or the samples themselves.

Arrangement is nicely handled - there's never any doubt about what's being referenced throughout, but it's still done creatively.  Great work blending both themes in interesting ways.

Some of the instrument attacks felt a bit slow for the writing at times, which is something I have issues with as well (due to my samples), so I can't blame you too much :).  I think there was still some more room for dynamic variation, especially given that there is some headroom to work with at this mixing level, but the mixer did well to have some breaks in the action sprinkled in.  Also, more variation (or drop off) of the backing percussion as it keeps the same core pattern for a large part of the mix would've helped.

Overall solid track fo sho.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2015/11/11) *YES* Street Fighter 2 'Spitfire’s Boom'
  • Liontamer locked this topic