CALLOUT: Quest for Glory arrangements! (July 15th deadline for instant OCR mixposts!)

Liontamer

We had fun with the Double Dragon callout, and now it's time for the next one! With only one OC ReMix so far, the Quest for Glory series has been lovingly selected by our Patreon sponsor, Dracaemelos

Again, the guidelines:
1. If anyone in the next 6 weeks submits a passable Quest for Glory arrangement (brand new OR old), we'll post it!
2. If we get 5+ solid total tracks by the community by June, we'll aim to release a quick EP soon after, since there are also not many fan arrangement albums for anything in the series.

Here's Dracaemelos with some of her personal source tune picks:

A bunch of awesome people actually put together this site, which was ok with the folks from Sierra too, which contains a bunch of the music from old Sierra games that everyone can download for free there, including QFG I-IV...
http://www.midimusicadventures.com/queststudios/digital-soundtracks/

As for examples *I* love, there are many, but here are a couple I found on YouTube from each game in the series in case that helps ^_^

QFG I (omitting Erana's Peace since that is the one remix that is already on OCR!):
The Fairies Theme
Stealing Theme

QFG II:
Aziza
Keapon Laffin

QFG III:
Uhura's Hut
Eastern Fricana (The Lost City)

QFG IV:
Erana's Staff Theme
Fairy Battle

QFG V:
Katrina's Retreat (not in-game, but in game's data)
The Rite of Justice

And here are YouTube playlists of the full soundtracks for all 5 games in the series! And don't forget Dracaemelos's link to the Quest for Glory MIDI archives. Good luck! :-D

QUEST FOR GLORY I: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Sb39vV7dddCWw3VvSO01q-1kqkodWZX
QUEST FOR GLORY II: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK_A9QubJojj-jDJjOX40VGqDM6xdYWir
QUEST FOR GLORY III: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Sb39vV7dddImrixm-Re0YAe_A6Dq64O
QUEST FOR GLORY IV: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF740BC090E33790C
QUEST FOR GLORY V: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06C8AC8B4528D7E0

FAQ

How can you do this, Larry?

I'm Larry.

What if my submission isn't posted immediately?

If it's not a direct post decision from Larry (bypassing the judges panel), the judges will vote on the submission, but skip the normal wait time in appreciation for answering the callout.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ghetto Lee Lewis said:

wow, theSE GAmeS havE really GreAt music.  I'm surpriSed they haven't gotten Way moRe Love by now.

Agreed.  Thinking about starting up something this week for it.  

BUT! after closely reading your statement. I also agree that there should be a Sega Swirl callout as may have been subliminally imposed.

well played sir.

I still just appreciate the opportunity to have called it out!  Thank you.  ^_^  Oh, but, actually, since the link names/comments were added by LT (thanks for that since I had just pasted the messy links!) I had to point out - Katrina's Retreat that I had picked from QFGV actually DOES play during the game only in one location if you make a very particular choice during one section of the game and then also follow up on the result.

Er, I don't know if there are spoiler tags here because I'm such an infrequent poster.  T_T  So I don't want to say.  But, obviously, it has to do with Katrina.  I just wanted to be sure to pick one of the little songs from QFGV that didn't make it into the official soundtrack.  I like a bunch of them.  ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone...this is Aubrey Hodges and I am the original composer for several Quest for Glory titles as well as many others over the last 3 decades. I have recently released the soundtrack for Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/quest-for-glory-shadows-of-darkness-official-soundtrack and thought it may be of interest to this site. I would be willing to provide a few of the newly recorded and arranged versions if that is something you would appreciate. I am not really sure if the original composers are supposed to be involved in the site or the remixes as I am new to ocremix. (I found out from a fan who sent me a link to the forum). Almost all of the new versions of the songs included are played with live instruments and are now what I had envisioned when I composed them originally. I do plan to release 3 more of my Sierra titles as well: Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist, Shadows of Yserbius (working on currently), and Robin Hood: Conquests of the Longbow. I have also release a 20th Anniversary Edition of my Doom Playstation Soundtrack that includes a ton of new material, longer tracks with new arrangements and 8 brand new bonus tracks. http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-playstation-official-soundtrack-20th-anniversary-extended-edition I sent a message to one of the staff but have not heard back yet. With the deadline approaching so quickly I thought I should post here to try and get an idea of whether or not I should provide a few tracks for this and if so, how exactly to provide them. Thanks for your help and thanks so much for your appreciate and support of game composers!

-Aubrey Hodges

aubreyhodges.com (info, blog etc.)

http://www.aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com (album streaming, sales)

Hey there! Welcome to OverClocked ReMix - it's an honor to see you around here! :D

OCR actually has a history with composers in the industry arranging great music for other games, as well as composers arranging their own video game music, so I'm happy to say it's perfectly within the bounds of the site (and it's always a little exciting, too!). If you want to submit something either for Larry's call-out or simply getting your music posted on here for its own sake, the instructions (format, e-mail to send the submission to, general parameters, etc.) can be found here.

I'm excited to see what you have in store for us!

Hi all,

This is Andrew from midimusicadventures.com / The QuestStudios Archive.

I would have loved to try my hand at making a proper remix to send in for this callout, maybe I'll submit something in the future.  Unfortunately, I also only found out about this the other day.

I do however have an ancient crappy 'cover' of Erana's Peace I once made a long time ago (early 2004).  At the time, I was only first tinkering with and learning to use FruityLoops 3.0 (Which then updated to 4.0 and they changed the name to FL Studio) in an effort to see if I would like it more than an ancient (even then) version of Cakewalk I was using for MIDI compositions/remixes up until that point.  I don't think it's up to the standards to be submitted to OCREMIX so, with some trepidation, I have linked it above just for fun.

Aubrey's new official soundtrack is much better, we should all listen to that instead.  It really is great!

I'm glad to see that QuestStudios is still a valued resource for DOS Era adventure game soundtracks.  To try and make a long story shorter:  The original QuestStudios was an amazing resource for Sierra game soundtracks and MIDI's among many other things.  Not terribly long ago that site was hacked, and the backups were also corrupted.  The original site owners' Tom and his wife Dianne had decided to retire from the site at that point for a multitude of reasons.  I offered to rebuild "The QuestStudios Archive" from my own downloads from the original site and accumulated libraries in an effort to keep that great content, and in my possibly biased opinion, a part of PC Game Music and Internet history, online.  With the helpful submissions of some other former QuestStudios site message board members, things are coming along nicely.  Though a bit slower than I'd like due mostly to my other life responsibilities.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for linking my little site.

Also, if anyone has a need for the complete MIDI file soundtracks for QFG1-4 they can been downloaded here.

I look forward to seeing what people come up with here!  Personally, I love hearing the remixes on the site here where a song's melody is taken to a completely different music genre than the original.

~Andrew

18 hours ago, aubreyhodges said:

Hi everyone...this is Aubrey Hodges and I am the original composer for several Quest for Glory titles as well as many others over the last 3 decades. I have recently released the soundtrack for Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/quest-for-glory-shadows-of-darkness-official-soundtrack and thought it may be of interest to this site. I would be willing to provide a few of the newly recorded and arranged versions if that is something you would appreciate. I am not really sure if the original composers are supposed to be involved in the site or the remixes as I am new to ocremix. (I found out from a fan who sent me a link to the forum). Almost all of the new versions of the songs included are played with live instruments and are now what I had envisioned when I composed them originally. I do plan to release 3 more of my Sierra titles as well: Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist, Shadows of Yserbius (working on currently), and Robin Hood: Conquests of the Longbow. I have also release a 20th Anniversary Edition of my Doom Playstation Soundtrack that includes a ton of new material, longer tracks with new arrangements and 8 brand new bonus tracks. http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-playstation-official-soundtrack-20th-anniversary-extended-edition I sent a message to one of the staff but have not heard back yet. With the deadline approaching so quickly I thought I should post here to try and get an idea of whether or not I should provide a few tracks for this and if so, how exactly to provide them. Thanks for your help and thanks so much for your appreciate and support of game composers!

-Aubrey Hodges

aubreyhodges.com (info, blog etc.)

http://www.aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com (album streaming, sales)

Rock. :-) Welcome, @aubreyhodges! Like Gario said, we always love game composers being involved in the community, giving feedback to arrangements of their music, or submitting their own interpretive arrangements. Since you're here, I'll just extend the callout window another 6 weeks to give people a fair chance to take advantage of you checking in on this. You can host/link anything you like from your work on the Quest for Glory series or PM me what materials you'd like us to host, and we could take care of that!

• Liontamer changed the title to CALLOUT: Quest for Glory arrangements! (July 15th deadline for instant OCR mixposts!)

Wow, I'm just so happy now.  :-D  I just.  Read.  And I'm just so happy :)  @aubreyhodges I spent so much time listening to the MIDI QFGIV soundtrack... so fantastic.  Thank you SO much !!! :)

And likewise @midiman369 I really love your site and how it has so many just fun anecdotes (in addition of course to like... 5 versions of the music :) )

Ahh, I'm just so happy :)  Er.  I do actually know words besides "so" but I guess I'm blanking on them presently!  Please feel free to substitute in positive superlatives of your choice!

Thank you all for making me feel so welcome. I am available to help remixers with feedback, tips, mixing and mastering suggestions and so on. I might even do a track or two that didn't get done on the official QFG4 Soundtrack just for this effort.  Once again thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to hearing the excellent work on these from all the talented remixers.

• 1 month later...

Completely new to OCRemix. Do I just submit it (Standard channels) or send a pm or email to someone about it? I'm trying for a turkish dance mix of the Trial by fire main theme BTW :D

And did I hear right that the deadline is july 12? (Or is that june 12 and I've made a fool of myself again?? D: )

• 1 year later...

Well this is funny, I'm a regular at OCR but I'm only just finding this post... and interestingly enough, I have an obligation to deliver a Quest for Glory remix or two due to the "commission a remix" pledge level I offered during my Kickstarter campaign that also happened around this time last year. I have some choices of tracks to arrange, including:

Erana's Peace (QFG1)

Erana's Pool (QFG3)

Erana's Garden (QFG4)

@aubreyhodges, if you're reading this, is there a chance I could get MIDIs for just those tracks? That would save me some time trying to decipher these fairly long originals, heh. Shoot them over to production@mazedude.com if that's a possibility, and before long there will be even more American homages under my belt. (The Kickstarter was for my recent album release "American Pixels" in which American composers were honored by way of remix; more info here: http://www.mazedude.com/projects/american-pixels. In turn, the commission requests were all for tracks also developed by American composers, such as yourself.)

Oh man!!!!!  You should do Erana's Garden!!!!! (IV)  In my biased opinion.  I listened to it a bunch in my teens and wrote it down as letter names of notes so I could practice/play it on the piano for a while (sadly can't do it anymore haha, would need to spend some time on it again)  but yeah, that one is quite beautiful.
I thought there was a MIDI of just it, floating around Quest Studios (er Midi Music Adventures) website, but at least here would be the .ogg if you didn't get the bandcamp version that Aubrey Hodges posted above.

And likewise for Erana's Pool (Pool of Peace - III) they have the individual .ogg over at Midi Music Adventures too...

Sorry if this was totally not helpful or anything but I got so excited haha ^_^;

EDIT: Whoops I was so excited I didn't link Erana's Peace which of course.. now THAT one I still CAN play on the piano haha... so peaceful... how appropriate...

Edited by Dracaemelos
I forgot something

• 2 months later...

So very glad you like it! In a fun twist, this is what I got back from the original composer:

--

"Thank you so much for taking the time and energy to do such a wonderful remix! I thoroughly enjoyed the new approach from start to finish. I am humbled and grateful that you honored one of my favorite compositions in such a beautiful way."

~ Aubrey Hodges, Quest for Glory IV Composer

--

Very nice to know that in answering what seemed like one request, I actually honored multiple wishes all at once. :)

Oh, and if anyone cares to read the extended write-up and listen to the reference/inspiration material, I have it now at http://www.mazedude.com/remixes/space-garden