MnP 53: Dark Souls - Gwyn, Lord of Cinders

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 53: Dark Souls - Gwyn

Midihttp://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP53_Dark-Souls-1-The-Lord-of-Cinder-Anonymous-20151121183357-nonstop2k.com.mid

Youtube: 

Deadline: May 5th Thurs 1PM
Vote Ends: May 8th Sun 11 PM

Submit your remix Here when completed. 
**If you have technical difficulty with account activation at ThaSauce, please contact me via PM and I will submit your track and will also tally your vote**

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines
1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
6. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

That's what you get when you ask me to pick a source while I'm playing Dark Souls 3 :lol: 

Man, I love Motoi Sakuraba's work, it is so diverse. When I first heard he did music for Dark Souls I was like "What? My Star Ocean guy, did Dark Souls? Does it sound like Star Ocean? Or even Tales of?"

Such a talented composer that isn't often spoken of, sadly, though it is deserving. Hoping to see some good stuff from this compo!

On April 22, 2016 at 2:13 PM, HoboKa said:

pffft hahahah.  Looks like Gwyn's getting twice the love.  

I remember that round! my remix was worthless as unkindled ash. Hopefully I can channel some embers for this round!

7 hours ago, Brandon Strader said:

That's what you get when you ask me to pick a source while I'm playing Dark Souls 3 :lol: 

Man, I love Motoi Sakuraba's work, it is so diverse. When I first heard he did music for Dark Souls I was like "What? My Star Ocean guy, did Dark Souls? Does it sound like Star Ocean? Or even Tales of?"

Such a talented composer that isn't often spoken of, sadly, though it is deserving. Hoping to see some good stuff from this compo!

You convinced me to keep that game after a week of frustration. Hope youre enjoying it!

Dark Souls 3 is like making remixes. You just keep trying until you can get through it without a lot of problems.

..............though you'll still get rekt on occasion. As evidenced by the dang song I have on the panel right now that has so many NOs and so many YESs that they don't even have any judges left to yes or no it, so it's in limbo. I gotta send an update to it so it can pass. :)

But yeah, solid analogy

Who all is working on a remix for this? :o 

Really cool entry Trism, unexpected and original. It feels a little like a clockwork for me! Very good work and great production :)

Just submitted mine too. I didn't think I would participate at first, but the envy growed suddenly and I had some inspiration tonight ^^

I tried with the source again, but I'm really not used to work with midi files :/ So I made it with my ears as usual. Idk.. it's more comfortable for me, I've got more freedom.

Hope you'll like it!

On 5/1/2016 at 6:26 PM, David "Cookie" said:

Really cool entry Trism, unexpected and original. It feels a little like a clockwork for me! Very good work and great production :)

Just submitted mine too. I didn't think I would participate at first, but the envy growed suddenly and I had some inspiration tonight ^^

I tried with the source again, but I'm really not used to work with midi files :/ So I made it with my ears as usual. Idk.. it's more comfortable for me, I've got more freedom.

Hope you'll like it!

>: 3 I'm competing as well - I can't wait to hear your guys' entries toooo!!  (been saving it for voting day)

Woah, I thought this was done for a second.. Lots of awesome entries, and still 8 hours to go!? I hope someone is burning the midnight oils. ;) Listening to the entries! I like the sound choices a lot of you have made! Except that midi guitar, yikes! :lol: But nice arrangements, nice creativity! Is not changing stuff really part of the theme of MnP? I thought arrangement was "recommended but not required".. hmm! Hoboka, I like your atmospheric choices and piano, reminds me a lot of Chrono Cross, but so dang quiet! Gotta fix that. Oooh, Kat also came in with the piano. :) Nice orchestrated elements, a bit dry and upfront and clashes at times, but good stuff! Not really writing reviews, just listening to the songs..hope you guys go to the workshop with these

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 5 entries this round.
  • There are 0 Bonus entries this round
  • There is a voter bonus this round
  • Brandaon Strader has a vote worth 2x 
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please  
  • Participants may not vote for themselves   

Vote ends May 8th 11pm

comments:

Since I was late in posting the voting stage, I'm pushing it back to Sunday 11pm.  And hmmm...yeah my entry is pretty damn quiet.