OCR03339 - Final Fantasy V "A Silver Light Shines"

Liontamer

Ditto Subz1987 on his comment; I had every intention of trying to hold a grudge against this mix, and I couldn't make it 20 seconds in before abandoning all pretense. Darkesword nailed it: this is one of the iconic FF V themes, and frankly, I can't believe the quality and rework this one takes on. It transports Fate in Haze into an entirely new world while still keeping its truly mystical heart; that the remixer was able to marry those two concepts together astounds me! The bass line through the beautifully sparse main sections works so gorgeously with the return of the instrumentation. I loved it every time. Special props for 3:05-3:25, which adds even a little more feel to an already A piece.

Somehow, some way, it must be said - worth the wait!!

It may just be because I naturally love middle-eastern instruments, but this soundscape is really well-constructed. The duduk could have had smoother legato, but it was handled fairly well. I liked the quasi-meditative mood evoked from the kind of "not-quite-resolving" implied harmonies (like if you played C,F,G,C'); it reminds me of "Gentle Fist" (which interestingly enough was in the WIND volume!). 2:15 - 2:32 was a highlight for me in terms of the standout harmonies, and for me, definitely makes the track.

Mostly I felt this was a nice ambient update to the original, capturing its essence while building a much fuller atmosphere.  The section from 2:16-3:05, however, was really beautiful, much more cheerful and interpreted, and I got one of those goosebump moments when it started up, even listening for the second and third times.  I don't feel like the section right after it fit at all with the rest of the mix, though.

Finally, the real thing. This is a great atmospheric piece; the source choice is awesome and the percussion is sweet (I'm reminded of Djp's excellent remix of Desolate Road from Tales of Phantasia). I really feel like I'm in the pirate cave area.

This is a damn good song. The world instruments are really good, and although that echo on the sitar-type sound is totally not kosher, it sounds good. I like the duduk a lot, it is pretty expressive. Nice attention to detail not only on the duduk but throughout the mix. Good leveling on the hat or tambourine(?), nice to put them as low as they are. The fadeout is really good with that arpeggio, that's the way to do a fadeout. Like descending into a dream. 

• 5 months later...

Let me pick my jaw from the floor... I've been big fan of this amazing creation since the release of the album. This song reminds me of some Sonic music for some reason (it may perfectly fit Dusty Desert and/or Arid Sands During the sunrise :)). The soul-touching, ethreal blend of classic Darke's instrumentation and some cool world stuff like those mesmerizng wind leads and hand percussion creates a wonderful soundscape, which tears my soul apart with its emotional power. Certainly one of Shariq's strongest works and one of the numerous highlights of "Water". This track, however, is probably a better fit for the "Wind" volume because of how light it is, but it's not a big deal after all. Wonderful job, man!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03339 - Final Fantasy V "A Silver Light Shines"
  • 4 years later...

I should've commented when this came out, but better late than never. I really like 2:15 to 2:31 and like 3:03 to 3:19. The duduk sounds too low pitch of an instrument to be used for the main melody... or maybe it is something else about how the instrument is used. Maybe I'm not used to hearing the duduk in that way, but I just can't help but wonder if a different instrument is better suited. Overall, the entire album is really good.