OCR03518 - *YES* Chrono Cross "Traversing the Aether"

DragonAvenger

Remixer: Avaris

Shaun Wallace

Chrono Cross
Leaving the Body

Title: Traversing the Aether

Been awhile since I subbed something.  Had this Chrono Cross mix sitting around about 80% done for a month or two.  I wanted to make something similar to my Bahamut Lagoon and Chrono Trigger remixes but outside of Reason.  Chrono Cross has the perfect OST for these types of tracks.  

Recently my grandfather passed away towards the end of October.  After I got back from the funeral I had a bolt of emotional inspiration to finish the track.  The title traversing the aether is an ode to someone's soul leaving their body and floating through the upper sky to something greater.  Hopefully the track garners a somber yet hopeful feeling for the listener.  For me this track changed from a fun and interesting track to something more personal.  

Happy holidays!
~Shaun

--

P.S. I can bump the volume 1-2db if it is too quiet overall.  Just let me know. ;)
----------------------------

I had to listen to this one a few times, and I have to admit this is a bit of a tough decision. Overall the soundscape as well as the arrangement are fairly similar to the original,but there is a lot of subtle personalization that adds a lot to the track. That being said,I felt like 3:05 sounds very similar to when it played before. I'm not sure if there's a difference that I am missing, so maybe another judge will notice something and point it out.

In the end I do think the arrangement is nice, and the personalization does bring it above the bar, but it is pretty close for me.

YES (borderline)

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed this very much.  Excellent atmosphere and pace, good selection of textures and handling of the performances.  Mix levels are good, and you made sure not to let instruments get lost in the reverb and ambience which is something we get a lot in atmospheric tracks.  Loved the subtle use of the staccato strings at 1:47, so often overdone but here they supplement the melodies finely. 

More often than not, I'm a stickler when it comes to conservative arrangements;  however there are a lot of details around the main melody that are of your own creation.  You decided to go for a similar feel as the original and keep the main motifs and build your interpretative elements around it, and I'm fine with that.  I would've liked if you strayed a bit farther from the original structure, I think people often miss how much even the slightest changes in structure can add so much to an adaptation, and I think that would've been the case here, but I'm fine with what we got.

Also sorry for your loss, I think your emotions come out transparently through this track.

Nice work Avaris, happy to let this one through.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/12/17 - (2Y) Chrono Cross 'Traversing the Aether'
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice use of subtractive arranging throughout - it's easy to add things to a mix in order to introduce your own personal touch, but it takes a good deal of skill and subtlety in order to hold elements back in an arrangement in order to evoke a different feel. The introduction utilizes the textures and harmonies without the lead above, which is effective, and the climax doesn't bring everything in at once until later. It gives this arrangement more time to build up to its bigger moments than the source does. Very nice - conservative, but adds a lot by holding back.

The production is alright, though it's relatively heavy on the low end and lacking on the high end. It sort of makes the whole song sound like a lower quality Mp3 rendition of a track. Sometimes that heavy low end causes some mud (like at 1:59), but it's not quite enough to take this below the bar.

To answer the question on the difference between 1:20 and 3:05, there are some different textures and instruments in the background, and the arpeggio isn't held back like in the first playthrough. 3:05 sounds a little more rich than 1:20 does throughout, due to those differences. Subtle, but there's enough different to make it distinct from the earlier portion.

Very well done, and upon closer inspection there's quite a lot that has been done with this.

YES

It's low-heavy but I love low-heavy and the lows are well controlled.  Perhaps a bit more highs would be nice, but I'm not having an issue with balance.  This is a really nice take on this source, moody yet groovy.   Good sound choices.  The transition at 2:12 is awkward and unsignaled, could have used some transition sfx at least (the little reverse that's there is too short to signal this transition on it's own).  Overall nice work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2015/12/17) *YES - TAG* Chrono Cross 'Traversing the Aether'
  • Liontamer locked this topic