*NO* Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie 'Halloween Medley'

Chimpazilla

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/12/02 - Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie 'Halloween Medley'
  • 2 weeks later...

This is similar to the other mixes you have sent in where it is too close to the source tunes and set up a bit too much like a medley. There's nothing wrong with the arrangement, and it's a fun listen, it just doesn't work for our standards. 

The production is still a bit blocky, and I'd love to hear you keep improving your realism by altering velocities, tempos, and dynamics more. Hope to hear from you again soon!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

This arrangement does play like a medley, but it's a darn cohesive medley.  I'm not having a problem with the structure of this as per our standards, I find it to be ok since it flows so well.  I do agree with Deia that the production and humanization is still on the blocky side, and I think Rebecca continues to improve with each submission she does.  The tamborine and cymbal hits get a little predictable after awhile, a little more percussive variety might be good.  I think the mixing could be improved, with the instruments given more impact throughout the soundscape, that is something to work on (a little more emphasis on the lows and highs would be especially nice, for example that bass at 4:15 could have sooooo much impact with louder lows).  Also the mastering is a bit on the tame side, I think you could push the final limiter by just a couple more db safely.  I'm getting a Danny Elfman vibe from this remix that I really like.  I'm going out on a limb for this one.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/12/02 - (1Y/1N) Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie 'Halloween Medley'
  • Chimpazilla pinned this topic

hmm I'm gonna have to side with Deia on this one.  Right off the bat on the first listen I noticed the rigid quality of the arrangement, structure and performances, and it became a bigger sticking point on subsequent listens.  I agree with the Danny Eflman-esque quality of the arrangement, and it is a fun one to listen to but I think that's due in a big part due to the originals sounding this way first.

Another thing is the medley quality of the structure, we tend to encourage arrangements that mesh different sources to form a coherent whole and I personally feel that its better to try to marry the different sources in a more natural manner than in the form of a medley to achieve a better flow in the song.  Some medley-sounding songs can and have been accepted but in this case I think more could be done to add to a more natural and cohesive blend of the two themes.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/12/02 - (1Y/2N) Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie 'Halloween Medley'
  • 2 weeks later...

To be honest, as far as the arrangement goes it felt like a single song, for me. I made this assessment prior to listening to the sources, in order to check whether or not the segues from source to source were noticeable, and it felt like it flowed fairly naturally. I feel Chimp's opinion on the arrangement - I'd argue that this would be considered good enough, as it doesn't feel like a bunch of songs slapped together. After listening to the sources themselves, I feel the orchestration and overall pacing of the arrangement in comparison to the sources could arguably be different enough, but I understand where people are coming in and stating it's too conservative, too. On the conservative/medley end, I think it's passable, for the reasons I list, but it's certainly close.

However, the production and handling of the instruments also needs to be considered, and I think this arrangement misses the mark on a few points - most of the instruments are stiff and mechanical. The strings don't vary their dynamics for long stretches of time (especially noticeable when it's playing the off beat chord strikes), and each note swells in the beginning (which is not how every note of a string'd instrument should be handled). The piano also doesn't have a very dynamic performance, either, and the sustain pedal is excessive at 1:23. The brass has similar issues to the strings - they're dynamically stiff and their attacks are all the same. The harpsichord is really dry in comparison to the other instruments at 1:38 - it doesn't sound like it was played in the same room as the other instruments, which is off putting. I do like how the mallets are handled in general, but there are a lot of issues with humanization on this one.

While I understand where people are coming from with the medley-itis criticisms, I actually agree with Chris that the arrangement still fits the site standards. The humanization aspect of this, though, leaves too much to be desired for me to pass it. Hopefully some of my critiques help Rebecca clean this up, though.

NO

I'm basically in full agreement with Gario's vote here. I also think the arrangement flows well enough to not suffer from medleyitis. Although, I have to agree that the execution is deal-breaking here. I don't want to beat a dead horse, so I'll just redirect you to Gario's comments on that because I don't think I could state it clearer anyway.

I will also add that the bass seems to be having some strange hiccups around 4:50-4:56 that should definitely be addressed, if you decide to send in a revised version. And please do! There are plenty of great ideas in your arrangement (as usual) and I'd love to hear them executed better.

Best of luck, Rebecca!

NO (resubmit)