Dark World (Link to the Past) A Cappella vs. EDM

Hipnotyk

Had the wonderful opportunity of collaborating with Julia Henderson, aka PyjamaPantsMusic on a very unique remix of Dark World.  I'm not sure if there's enough deviation here for this to receive consideration by the judges, but I feel that we managed to do put together something very special in this collaboration.  Hope you all enjoy!

Thanks, and I do agree.  Listening to it, I could've added a little more beat variation or small fills, and I avoided getting overly fancy because I didn't want to draw too much attention from Julia's vocal work.  This actually came together in 24 hours, not even joking.  We got the idea late Sunday night, did the work and posted it the next day.

Let me start by making it clear that I'm biased: I'm a sucker for A Link to the Past.

Love the vocals, the snaps, and beatbox-like percussion. I'd suggest making it sound a little more beatboxy (is that a word?), or going with some crunchy chiptunes percussion as a counterpoint to the vocals. Also, if you are looking for a way to extend the track, I would go with some dj mixing effects on the vocals (and/or game sound effects) at 1:50ish to keep things going. Maybe you could play with other source material as a bridge too (thinking flute boy tune). The mix is already fun, interesting, and polished in its own right, but I imagine you need a little more to sell it to the judges.

Great job, and good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

My personal, non-judge opinion is that, while borderline, there's probably enough originality to pass on those grounds.  The percussion is definitely a strike, though.  It also ends before it really gets going.  I love the sound here, and I think a full remix using this as a starting point would be really cool.