rRPC 2016 - The ReMix Role-Playing Competition 2016

FenixDown

That's too bad, Sir_NutS, but thanks for checking it out. 

Ronald Poe, I will always be posting in this thread at the start of every round, as well as when I provide links to download each rounds' submissions. You can click the Follow button at the top of the page across from the thread title to be notified whenever someone posts in this thread (I've not done it myself so I'm not sure if you'll get an email or just a notification when you log into the forums, I'm assuming the latter). Now that the forums are upgraded, I suppose I could also tag everyone in the round in my post just to make sure everyone's been alerted.

We just need to get at least one more person over the weekend and we should be in good enough shape to make this work. Are there any other compo regulars we haven't tried reaching out to yet? 

No one else has signed up yet. At this point, I think it would be best to just press on and get the compo rolling. What I'm going to do is pick someone from the undecideds to get the Hero bracket up to six people. If someone wants that spot, feel free to claim it here today, otherwise I'll make the call myself. And during the mixing period of the Hero round 1, I will leave sign ups for the villain side open just in case someone comes along and decides they want in on the action. 

Of course, if someone new signs up today, then it won't be an issue and we'll be able to proceed without any further concerns. Thanks a lot everyone for signing up and everything you've done to promote the compo to others. Based on the general responses I've seen, it's not so much a lack of interest keeping people from joining in, but a lack of spare time. That sort of thing can't always be helped no matter what you do but I appreciate everyone who took the time to look at the compo, even if they decided to pass on it.

Hero Bracket Round One: Answering the Call

The Emissaries of Dawn departed their doomed kingdom and managed to escape the darkness that enveloped their land. But their mission had only just begun. They journeyed far and wide, met with royalty and nobles, pleaded with the citizens of great nations for any form of aid against the evil that had taken siege of their homeland. But their pleas fell upon deaf ears, their cries failed to move hearts made of stone.

But hope was not lost. For among the masses that shied away from the prospect of war, brave men and women heard the call for help and responded. Though their numbers may be small, they took up their arms with conviction and courage, and departed for the battlefield. By land, sea, and even air, they travel with all haste to the Kingdom of Dawn, the land now known as the Realm of Dusk.

Welcome to the first round of the ReMix Role-Playing Competition 2016! The first round of the Hero Bracket will be about traveling themes, specifically, themes associated with riding on mounts, boats, and airships. Here is a rundown of the match ups of the first round and their sources.

@Garpocalypse (Ramza) and @alfredofreak (Ayla) : Wings of Hope - Tales of the Abyss

@Touchstone (Ib) and @Xenonetix (Terra) : Lightning Blade in the Blue Sky - Wild Arms 3

@Chernabogue (Isaac) and @Ghetto Lee Lewis (Leliana) : Raging Sea - Crystalis

ReMixers will have until noon on Monday, May 30 Eastern time to submit their music to me via PM. Please follow the instructions for submitting ReMixes I laid out in the opening post of the thread.

Music Submission:

Please send all entries to me (FenixDown) via PM on the forums with a link to a trustworthy hosting client (like Dropbox or Soundcloud) and I will download your mixes from there. I will only accept submissions sent in WAV format. Please do not send MP3s, I will encode the MP3s myself.

All file names must be in the following formats:

For Heroes:

ReMixer - Mix Title (ReMixer’s Character Name & Round Source Name).wav  

Example: FenixDown - Tonedeaf Terra (Terra & Tone of the Town).wav

You are free to capitalize your name and mix title however you like, but please properly capitalize the character names and source theme titles.

Good luck heroes and safe travels!

8 hours ago, alfredofreak said:

I am so overdue for ear training. I did manage to use the parametric EQ in FL as a crutch to partially notate Wings of Hope but I don't think I have time to finish this notation job with my current skill set and time constraints. That being said, I'll do the best I can on my entry with what I've got.

Just do the best you can. You can always go back to the track after the compo is over and polish it up. 

I still haven't heard back from YoshiBlade on his villain selection. He did say that if someone else wants in that he was fine with letting them take the spot, so if anyone else wants to jump in on the Villain side, there's a place for you if he doesn't get back with me first.

On another note, due to Memorial Day being this Monday in the US, I wound up being scheduled to work during the time the current round is set to end. So, I'm going to extend the deadline a few extra hours up to 5 PM Eastern time. I will also aim to start the first Villain round either Sunday night right before I go to bed, or first thing in the morning before work on Monday morning if I get up early enough. If I fail to do either, it'll probably end up being between 4 and 5 PM Eastern, but odds are I'll play it safe and start it late Sunday night.

Just posting to say that I've made some edits to the opening post regarding some of the changes to the layout of the compo. Basically removed anything associated with the elimination aspect of the original brackets format I was planning to use. 

I also have a spreadsheet made up of everyone's characters and all the current round themes, complete with YouTube links. I'll be updating it as more themes come into play between the Hero rounds and after people start receiving party members at the start of Round 2. I also posted a link to the spreadsheet in the opening post.

I hope everyone is making some good headway with their mixes. I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Just a reminder that I'll be opening up the first Villain round later today, probably about nine hours or so from now. And the current Hero round has about 29 hours left before its deadline. I hope you've all been making some good progress on your mixes. I'm very eager to hear what you put together.

And just a reminder, I dropped the elimination aspect of the compo prior to the finals, so even if you don't do well in the first round, you'll still have a chance to make a comeback in round 2.

Villain Bracket Round One: Inevitable Betrayal

The toppling of the Kingdom of Dawn was a momentous event. By joining hands with their fellow denizens of darkness, the mighty villains managed to conquer the once indomitable nation. And as the kingdom burned throughout the night, they reveled in their absolute victory. After the flames subsided, a new Realm rose from the ashes.

It remains unclear how it began, but without a common enemy to unite them, the followers of each faction grew increasingly distrustful of the members of the other groups. Before long, the unrest could be felt even by the villains that ruled over each faction. These villains began to secretly make preparations for the inevitable betrayal they expected from their allies. Or, should the opportunity present itself, make the preemptive strike themselves.

The first round of the Villain Bracket has begun! Unlike the Hero Bracket, the Villains will be using their source themes against their opponents’ themes. Due to there being an odd number of participants in this bracket, there will be a 3-way match up. For anyone in this match up, you get to choose which of your opponents you want to use the source of. 

The match ups are as follows:

@Yami (Dark Gaia) vs @Ronald Poe (Xehanort)

@Supercoolmike (Mithos) vs @TimothyWilliamProductions (Sephiroth) vs @HoboKa (Lloyd)

Villains will have until noon on Monday, June 6 Eastern time to submit their mixes. Please be sure to follow the instructions for submitting your music.

Please send all entries to me (FenixDown) via PM on the forums with a link to a trustworthy hosting client (like Dropbox or Soundcloud) and I will download your mixes from there. I will only accept submissions sent in WAV format. Please do not send MP3s, I will encode the MP3s myself.

All file names must be in the following formats:

For Villains:

ReMixer - Mix Title (ReMixer’s Character Name & Opponent’s Character Name).wav

Example: DarkeSword - Kefka Beckons (Kefka & Lavos).wav

Best of luck Villains!

6 hours ago, TimothyWilliamProductions said:

Awesome :)

So does this mean I need to select either  @HoboKa (Lloyd) or  @Supercoolmike (Mithos) to challenge? Or are we able to pick any of them?

You can choose between HoboKa's Lloyd and Supercoolmike's Mithos. 

There are definitely some interesting combinations this round. 

And Heroes, you've got roughly 11 hours left before the deadline. So far I've received two entries.