OCR03439 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 'Aqua Wave'

Liontamer

I've heard so many AA mixes, so I'd love to hear other DKC themes arranged more, but when you have a hit among VGM arrangers, it can't be denied. The sound design's not innovative, but Aymeric's got solid, personalized instrumentation here. The synth lead at 1:05 takes some getting used to, feeling somewhat shrill and off-key at first blush, but it's not a big deal; getting more creative with the sound for the lead probably would have made more of a difference there.

Nice original writing from 2:07-2:27 that integrated well with the subtle references to the source before tweaking the melody at 2:27 followed by more original writing on top of the source from 2:52-3:05 and another iteration of the melody quickly before more original synth writing from 3:18 until the finish.

Dynamically, this doesn't take many drastic turns, but there were effective additions and subtractions of the beats and synths to change the textures and provide contrast, plus many good integrations of original writing. There may be some qualms on the sound design or production being cramped, but to me it was nothing major that should hold this back.

YES

Clean, exuberant and personalized.  Great sound design, fair amount of interpretation.  So many times I've seen tracks trying to build ambience but end up drowned in reverb and muddy.  Not here though.  Sure, there's plenty of reverb but I can heard pads, sub, leads, drums, come out very clearly.  That lead specially is cutting really well through the mix even though it has plenty of delay on it.  Great use of filters and automation.

I wasn't a huge fan of the ending, but other than that, I can't find many faults in this remix.  post plz.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/10/08 - (2Y) Donkey Kong Country 'Aqua Wave'

Can't say I was particularly liking the lead synth overall, but aside from that the arrangement has a pretty solid soundscape that feels full and has a nice low end. As Larry said earlier, the arrangement isn't breaking new ground in regards to originality, but it's doing what it intends to very well. Overall I most enjoyed the section at 2:27 where it sounds both familiar but had a nice mix of original stuff going on. 

YES

Quick co-sign here, there's not much more to say that wasn't pointed out already. This is a nice take on the popular theme, and I really like the melodic explorations in the second half. The sound design is great, although I agree that the lead at 1:05 could have used a few more polishing passes. Other than that, the production sounds great to me, and the arrangement is solid. Nice work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2015/10/08) *YES* Donkey Kong Country 'Aqua Wave'
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic