OCR03790 - *YES* Mega Man X1 & X3 "Red Shifting Drift"

Chimpazilla

Remixer: Gario
E-mail: 
UserID: 18482

Games arranged: Mega Man X1 & X3

Arrangement Name: Red Shifting Drift
Sources Arranged:   Megaman X - Boomer Kuwanger,  Mega Man X3 (SNES) - Doppler Stage 1 & 2 

Hey there!

Wow, it's been a while since I've submit music on here. Here's something to tide everyone over - an orchestral blend of chippy goodness. It's from the second round of the 2015 Sigma Fortress Remix Gauntlet, and it did... well, actually pretty poorly (there were a LOT of amazing tracks, that round). Seems the issues people had with it overall were minor mixing issues, though, so I cleaned it up for submission. While it didn't win me any gold medals, it's easily my best track for the competition, and with the track cleaned up, hopefully everyone who listens can agree. Good energy, nice thematic blending and some tasty harmonies - give it a listen and enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Great energy, for sure! I love to hear compo tracks that really highlight sources and do a good job of bringing them together; everything sounds very natural and cohesive. Not too much to nitpick here, but I'd say maybe the lead synth is a bit too loud at times to the point where it's overpowering the track at times.

Very enjoyable, nice work!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Good high-energy track.  Production is alright, I thought the drums felt a bit vanilla and dry but they do their job well.  Some of the textures feel pretty vanilla and static as well, such as the choirs and strings.  Its quality is obscured for most of the tracks, but for moments such as at the breakdown when they are exposed, their low quality and static-sound is very evident.  Other than that, the pulse leads were well handled but perhaps a bit too loud.  I would've appreciated a change at some point to an instrument with a different texture, not a big deal but something I would've preferred and I think would've added more interesting things to listen to in the track.

Arrangement is solid, and the fusion of the two tracks is done transparently for the most part.  I wasn't feeling some of the variations and quick arps introduced in the lead melodies, as sometimes it felt like the melody alone would suffice without the exaggerated glitching.  I felt that the transition towards the ending could've made shorter and less abrupt at the same time, but that's a nitpick.

Solid work overall.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/12/17 - (2Y) Mega Man X1 & X3 'Red Shifting Drift'

Kick could be louder, the choir is in need of sidechaining and sounds pretty generic when exposed.  The lead writing here is terrific!  I like the glitching.  When the arps come in at 1:48 they compete with the lead since they are in the same frequency range.  Some lead instrument variation would have been nice, and maybe one other texture instrument in addition to the arps (or instead of the arps in the second half or so) but the lead writing is really a highlight.  Overall good writing, solid track.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/12/17 - (3Y) Mega Man X1 & X3 'Red Shifting Drift'

Solid mix, ok production. What struck me here was the nice positioning of your different elements. Background elements feel well placed in the background but aren't unheard, while your synths are front and centre and clearly audible. I will say the leads sometimes are too loud compared to the rest of the mix. The chippy lead sometimes grew stale during the longer lead lines, although I did appreciate the riffing. I also agree that the drums are quite generic - I particularly thought the snare should be stronger than what it is here, especially during the busier parts where it's splashiness and lack of strength makes it fall out of focus. Arrangement is ok, you have duration about right, I wouldn't have gone longer with this one, but there didn't feel like a discernible ending here. Overall I think this is ok, bar a few niggling problems.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03790 - *YES* Mega Man X1 & X3 "Red Shifting Drift"
  • Liontamer locked this topic