OCR00257 - Legend of the Mystical Ninja "Oedo Pentatonic"

m68030

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have to play this every time I quit playing the Original for SNES. It puts a smile on my face and makes me wish I had the $ to get myself a synthesizer and take a crack at it myself but I guess I'll leave that to the pros :P Pretzel took what was initially a catchy background piece and really showcased it with eastern-style instrumentation while putting a nice flanging riff in the middle of it. Fannnnntastic.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

A pretty nice mix that doesnt deviate a ton from the source, but does a really good job of filling out the sound, and giving it a more evocative quality that the original only hinted at. You can really imagine yourself in a bustling little fishing town listening to this.

While I was never very good at the game, I do have fond memories of this song, and though the remix doesn't reinvent the wheel, it does the original justice.

• 11 months later...

Classic high frequencies from oldskool pretzel. It's a nifty little track that doesn't disappoint. Edo has never sounded so happy. I wish that the little interludes were led into a little more tactfully, but the shift halfway through doesn't bother me so much. It's at least worth a listen to those who haven't played the game.

• 8 months later...

Having not played the game, I can say that it definately sounds very 'Asian Stereotypical.' Pretzel does some nice work with different sound choices, and I enjoyed listening to the track. The section at 1:08 and then later in the track are my favorite. The sudden 'mean' feeling made me laugh a little.

A cute track that I enjoyed, nice work, Pretzel!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If I had to describe this mix in one word it would be "safe." It really doesn't take any chances, or push any boundaries. You could do a lot worse than to listen to it, and there are really no glaring flaws, but don't expect it to alter your DNA and give you a really awesome extra appendage like a laser firing shoulder cannon.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Usually when I listen to Oedo Pentatonic, I dance in swift, controlled, on-the-beat movements like an 8-bit sprite. Why? I'd chalk it up to two elements: 1) the drumwork, which tastes as sumptuous and fulfilling as a piece of roasted meat; and 2) the slightly aggressive, non sequitur bar from the source, which appears at 1:08-1:12 and elsewhere. Their sudden appearances in the overall inviting mood just pump me up that way. Alternatively, I might get the urge to flex my entire body, wave-like, in the manner of the wobbly leads that pop up at 1:32 and after. When it's their turn to hit notes in rapid succession, their supple nature infects me as well.

A mix that makes me dance is a plus. One that makes me dance in two ways is unforgettable. :-D

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00257 - Legend of the Mystical Ninja "Oedo Pentatonic"