Overwatch

The game is out! Discuss all things Overwatch! 

I'm loving the game!

BattleTags:

Me - LockOn #11460

AzureZeal - GilaMoo #1175 

DusK - DusK #1660 

Garpocalypse - Garpocalypse #11835

Mowseler - Mowseler #1221

Neifion -  Neifion #1948

OverClocked Podcast -  Emblem180 #1675

Saboshima -  Saboshima #1908

Sir_Nuts - sirnuts #1178 

Zyko - zyko #1323

Post your tag or PM me if you want it added to the OP!

I'm having lots of fun with it. I think the ability to have as many of one character as you want is great; trying out crazy combinations without restriction is one of the greatest things about the game. One time on Gibraltar we had four Winstons, a Reaper, and a Lucio and we totally owned. Another time, on Hanamura, my time was defending against a team with five Tracers and a Hanzo, with them apparently thinking that they could zip past us to the points and win quickly. They got completely torn apart against our two Torbjorns set up with turrets. It makes for some really addicting and unpredictable play!

Balancing-wise I think they could tone down Bastion's damage a tad. Yes, he's somewhat squishy and there are counters to him, such as Tracer's pulse bomb, but he's still just a bit OP, IMHO.

7 hours ago, Neifion said:

One time on Gibraltar we had four Winstons, a Reaper, and a Lucio and we totally owned. Another time, on Hanamura, my time was defending against a team with five Tracers and a Hanzo, with them apparently thinking that they could zip past us to the points and win quickly. They got completely torn apart against our two Torbjorns set up with turrets. It makes for some really addicting and unpredictable play!

Balancing-wise I think they could tone down Bastion's damage a tad. Yes, he's somewhat squishy and there are counters to him, such as Tracer's pulse bomb, but he's still just a bit OP, IMHO.

You've described exactly why I don't think you should be able to have multiples lol. Ever gone up against a team of five Pharahs and one Mercy? I have. It's not fun. "Justice rains from above" all the time and like you said, the team of all Tracers got totally dominated. You can make a completely unbalanced team and most of the time those combinations will fail horribly, but there are some that are arguably over-powered. Imagine a team entirely of bastion on the defensive team all surrounding the attackers' exit at the beginning of a match.

I agree that Bastion could do less damage, but at the same time - just finding another route around him is pretty easy. I just don't see why Reaper and McCree's moves need to be one-hit kills. Playing Bastion, McCree and Reaper and then using the latter two's ultimate is basically an easy "Play of The Game" that is way too good at turning the tide of the match. Like, they should make "High Noon" do less damage the more people he targets and most characters should be able to survive at least one shot of reaper's ultimate.

You just described why it's awesome. :D Like you said, you can win, but most of the time, you'll fail miserably. Several Widowmakers/Hanzos can make short work of a bunch of "raining" Pharahs (and maybe a Tracer to take care of Mercy). And a team of Tracers can all zip by the spawn-camping Bastions and take the point before the Bastions can all reconfigure, lumber over, set up again, and try to pin down all the blinking Tracers. About 99% of the time, I see well-balanced teams because honestly, teams of multiples are usually really easy to counter since they lack the versatility and adaptability of a balanced team, not to mention the synergy of having distinct heroes combo off each other. So at least in my experience, the system works because it favors the well-balanced team, so the vast majority of teams choose a balanced composition. It's only those few outlier matches with the crazy combinations, but those often fail spectacularly if the opposing team knows what they're doing.

I do agree that McCree's and Reaper's ultimate damage is a bit much. Though McCree needs to stand still for a long time, making him really easy to kill before he fires. And you can easily see the tell-tale warning of Reaper's ultimate because he'll often wraith-form into a bunch of your teammates, so putting sights on him as he's coming out of wraith form, you can mow him down fairly quick (and he's squishy to boot).

• 2 weeks later...

Having a blast so far. I usually end up playing Symmetra or Mercy because we lack supports, but I play a lot of Genji as well. He's pretty hard to get used to, but can hit like a truck.

On 5/7/2016 at 11:26 AM, AngelCityOutlaw said:

Playing Bastion, McCree and Reaper and then using the latter two's ultimate is basically an easy "Play of The Game"

Yeah, I'd say 9/10 times the play of the game is DIE! DIE! DIE!. I did get it once with Symmetra though. The enemy team was preoccupied trying to break through our defense, so I flanked them and dropped a few turrets and took 3 of them out.

This game is amazing and I love it, but they definitely need to fix whatever the hell is going on with the disconnects. Day one and it ran perfect, day two was steady dropouts despite a perfect connection. This issue is now the longest thread on tech support and Blizz hasn't said anything about it on the forums despite this.

The only thing that seems to help, but not fix the issue completely, is to do a dns flush and clear the temp folder from appdata/local. Other than that, you're never really sure if you're going to be booted out of the match to rejoin. Yesterday, it was so bad I got a penalization warning.

I played a lot during the beta and am trying to play a little every night now that the game is out. Have been a Symmetra player for a while now, really fantastic things you can do with her; multiple turrets covering one spot is key.

Had a fantastic run as Pharah too last night keeping the payload 2 feet away from the final point. I think the other team got frustrated because they were steamrolling until then.

1 hour ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

This game is amazing and I love it, but they definitely need to fix whatever the hell is going on with the disconnects. Day one and it ran perfect, day two was steady dropouts despite a perfect connection. This issue is now the longest thread on tech support and Blizz hasn't said anything about it on the forums despite this.

That's odd. I haven't had any disconnects, but I'm on PS4. I saw a notice saying they were checking out connection issues though. 

Had a nice Genji match today. Deflected a Hanzo ult for the win(the initial arrow can be deflected and you "steal" the ult) and got featured. I normally like supports but I may stick with Genji for a while.

3 hours ago, Kat said:

That's odd. I haven't had any disconnects, but I'm on PS4. I saw a notice saying they were checking out connection issues though. 

Had a nice Genji match today. Deflected a Hanzo ult for the win(the initial arrow can be deflected and you "steal" the ult) and got featured. I normally like supports but I may stick with Genji for a while.

For many, the game is nigh unplayable. I finally got Blizz, via Twitter, to check out the thread. They're now getting people to post their connection details and run traceroutes to find commonalities and claim they're monitoring the issue on their end. On the official Reddit, they basically said they have no idea what the problem is or when to expect a fix.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20744295580?page=1

so far the one i hate more than anyone is roadhog. haven't had much trouble with mercy (unless she's just been poorly played thus far) and i usually make my teammates love me because i make it a point to annihilate support heroes. tracer can be a bitch but nothing i can't handle so far.

roadhog though. fuck that motherfucker in his fuckin oversized watcher belly. i hatehatehatehhatehthatehtehhaehtr him. so much i haven't even tried rollin him yet. not even once. can't stand his WC3 rehashed undead abomination dumbshit ass. (is it obvious i don't like him lulz)

^ Yeah, that.

I don't have trouble with Roadhog because deflect. Mercy is fairly easy to deal with on Genji(plenty of mobility to get behind them), but Tracer annihilates me. Far too dodgy for me to hit with my shurikens(which need pin-point accuracy). Mei also annoys me because she takes all my mobility. I can beat her if I keep a good distance though. She has no counter to that. If she drops her ult to try and lock me down I can just swift strike out. On the other hand, I laugh at Reaper and consider him a free kill because DIE DIE DIE quickly turns into DEFLECT DEFLECT DEFLECT.

I especially love using deflect on McCree's Deadeye. A homing potentially insta-kill bullet? You don't say...

I'm actually surprised people are having difficulties with Tracer as she's probably the squishiest character in the game. Clint Beastwood's stun grenade or Pharah's rockets usually make short work of her.

Speaking of, some tips in case you don't know them:

- McCree's revolver reloads instantly when you roll. That's basically all the roll is really good for.

- In most spots on most maps, you can use the payload as cover and shoot under it at your enemies' feet. Works especially well as Pharah.

- Mercy is the only character who can match Pharah's Mobility. Having Mercy as Pharah's wingman can be a devastating combo since Mercy can actively heal Pharah as well as boost her already powerful rockets and ult.

1 hour ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

I'm actually surprised people are having difficulties with Tracer as she's probably the squishiest character in the game. Clint Beastwood's stun grenade or Pharah's rockets usually make short work of her.

Well, most characters I play are countered by her. Genji can't accurately hit her unless you get the jump on her, though dragon blade will make the fight easier in a pinch. Mercy can't properly escape unless there's a well-placed ally(preferably a Pharah) to jump to, and not even Bastion will stop a good Tracer from flanking. Ideally Mei or Symettra will be around to kill her mobility. With Symettra a turret nest will destroy her(and anyone who relies on mobility for that matter).

For Genji, the one tip I'd offer is to look EVERYWHERE. Not just for enemies, but for anything with a flat surface. There are actually a ton of places only he or others with a good jump/dash can get to, and thanks to cybernetics + swift strike(which can travel in ANY direction) he can usually get there faster and easier.

Sidenote: Genji is a Mercy + Pharah's worst nightmare. You're basically handing him a rocket launcher

17db52e490e992a1e72dd2c7303ec4d8.png