OverClocked Podcast - 21 - TotalBiscuit

?format=1000w

This week we catch up on two weeks worth of the Remix Rewind, welcome TotalBiscuit to the show in our first No Tune Unturned interview, and celebrate the art of hitting things rhythmically in this week’s Playlist. 

Direct Download: https://ia601501.us.archive.org/26/items/OCPC21/OCPC%2021.mp3

Next week's Playlist: Hard rock

ReMix ReWind:

No Tune Unturned with TotalBiscuit

Root Note with Karl Brueggeman

The Playlist: Percussion

Bumper music:

Extra info:

Email: podcast@ocremix.org

iTunes: Coming soon!

Stitcher: Coming soon!

RSS: https://feeds.feedburner.com/OverclockedPodcast

The OverClocked PodCast is a member of the Whales are Whales network. Find more awesome shows like that at www.whalesarewhales.com! OverClocked ReMix is dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of video game music as an art form. Learn more at http://ocremix.org/info/About_Us!

rBtN_w-Go0c

View the full article

I enjoyed the new episode guys! I like that you're branching out with different types of interviews, adds the right amount of variety to the format of the show. The One-Winged Angel arrangement I submitted in the playlist is even more impressive when you watch the video and see the percussionist in action. The rest of the Symphonic Fantasies encore that plays before it is worth listening to as well.

30 minutes ago, FenixDown said:

I enjoyed the new episode guys! I like that you're branching out with different types of interviews, adds the right amount of variety to the format of the show. The One-Winged Angel arrangement I submitted in the playlist is even more impressive when you watch the video and see the percussionist in action. The rest of the Symphonic Fantasies encore that plays before it is worth listening to as well.

Thanks, dude! What did you think of the No Tune Unturned interview? We have another one lined up, which I made a little shorter and more focused-- but I like the idea of letting people go on about music they love just for the fun of sharing it. Curious to know if that concept is appealing to anyone else.

And I agree, the One-Winged Angel drum solo loses something without the visual component. I watched the whole thing completely mesmerized. :P

- Stephen

I liked it. As much as I do enjoy the interviews with arrangers and composers, it was nice to get a different perspective with this approach. Maybe it's because I can relate to it being a fan of music but not a musician by any stretch of the definition, but I like the idea of just talking about a track or a soundtrack that no one in the interview actually had a hand in making, while still just going into what makes it special or interesting to them. I do think making it shorter and more focused is a good idea, I can see it being the kind of subject that can go off in any number of different tangents that there wouldn't necessarily be time for in the show.

Overall, yeah I think it was great, I'm looking forward to the next one!

Excellent show guys, really enjoyed it. Don't worry if you were unprepared, it certainly didn't come across!

Perfect guest for the first ever "No Tune Unturned" section considering the support John's been giving over the years through exposure on Twitch/YouTube and Patreon.

Thought I'd leave my thoughts on the new interview style in case it helps to cement the format. I really liked how the music tied in to what was being discussed at the time, though I struggled to hear a lot of them as they were very quiet under the talking. Perhaps a segment of each could be cut into natural pauses in the conversation, so we get a chance to hear them for a while (30-60 seconds perhaps? Not sure how limited you are on time) before the conversation moves onto another topic. Perhaps a format similar to 'Desert Island Discs' could work here, in which the interviewee introduces a few tracks they picked out and the reasons they chose them.

Just a few ideas. I enjoyed it either way and look forward to seeing how it progresses!

On 5/15/2016 at 11:24 AM, FenixDown said:

I liked it. As much as I do enjoy the interviews with arrangers and composers, it was nice to get a different perspective with this approach. Maybe it's because I can relate to it being a fan of music but not a musician by any stretch of the definition, but I like the idea of just talking about a track or a soundtrack that no one in the interview actually had a hand in making, while still just going into what makes it special or interesting to them. I do think making it shorter and more focused is a good idea, I can see it being the kind of subject that can go off in any number of different tangents that there wouldn't necessarily be time for in the show.

Overall, yeah I think it was great, I'm looking forward to the next one!

Cool, thanks for the feedback! I have a second one recorded which is a little more focused, and I have some ideas for future editions as well.

On 5/15/2016 at 6:24 PM, KHarker said:

Excellent show guys, really enjoyed it. Don't worry if you were unprepared, it certainly didn't come across!

Perfect guest for the first ever "No Tune Unturned" section considering the support John's been giving over the years through exposure on Twitch/YouTube and Patreon.

Thought I'd leave my thoughts on the new interview style in case it helps to cement the format. I really liked how the music tied in to what was being discussed at the time, though I struggled to hear a lot of them as they were very quiet under the talking. Perhaps a segment of each could be cut into natural pauses in the conversation, so we get a chance to hear them for a while (30-60 seconds perhaps? Not sure how limited you are on time) before the conversation moves onto another topic. Perhaps a format similar to 'Desert Island Discs' could work here, in which the interviewee introduces a few tracks they picked out and the reasons they chose them.

Just a few ideas. I enjoyed it either way and look forward to seeing how it progresses!

Great point-- more frequent, lengthy music breaks would be helpful since we're not playing an entire song. I like the Desert Island Discs idea, too. Kind of a highlight reel to make sure we get to the good stuff. :) Thanks a lot!

- Stephen

• 4 weeks later...

The last "Eino" was correct :) Another great show, hard to believe you were unprepared for the interview, it was a fun one from both sides. TB is a very entertaining speaker, and I definitely got (even more) interested in checking out Guardian Heroes. Fun Saturn reminiscing in general! Haven't played a lot of Saturn games, but my favourite that I've played is Death Tank (Zwei), a bonus real-time artillery game on PowerSlave and Duke Nukem 3D. Has a great thrash/punk title theme too. Really want to check out Saturn Bomberman too. Anyway, as much as I appreciate the In Tune interviews, this kind of a interview/exploration is very fun and valuable too.

The percussion playlist pick that I thought was obvious was this one (or its source). But nope! No-one picked that. There goes assuming that kind of stuff. The SD3 track is a great pick BTW.