Chimpazilla

(provided by artist 12-23-16)

ReMixer name: Schtiffles
UserID: 32762

Game(s):  Pokemon Silver/Gold/Crystal

Original Track:  Goldenrod Game Corner Theme 
Composed by Junichi Masuda

My Remix:  Lucky Coin

As a kid, this song inspired me to buy headphones to listen to my Gameboy in higher quality, I would sit in the goldenrod game corner for hours just listening to this song on repeat. Sadly they never did release an official soundtrack for the original gen 2 Pokemon games, but after all this time I finally believe I'm skilled enough to recreate it in my own style, and it will serve as my first submission to OCRemix. Thank you very much for your consideration!

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/08/03 - Pokémon Gold Version 'Lucky Coin'

This is one strange and unique remix.  You could say it's rare.

The structure of this remix is very odd.  There's a fairly large intro before we even get to a verse, and the track feels very empty at times.  There are odd tempo changes here and there which made me tilt my head to the side in curiosity.  They were quirky and cute.  

The mix is ok, nothing glaringly bad, but it does feel dry and sterile for the most part.  You won't find creative synthwork here, and there's not much modulation to speak of, that I noticed.  The drums feel very basic, bordering on serviceable.  I think the biggest offender regarding production was the usage of the same (or very similar) lead sound throughout.

On the first couple of listens I was leaning towards a rejection here, but after several listens I think the song grew on me.  There's a lot of creative arrangement work here, the artist was pretty cheeky in his approach to it. Although the lead sound is the same for the most part, it's used very creatively in the performance.  The structure may take its time to get around to the good parts, but they hit with a good amount of energy when they arrive.

I've been sitting on this one the whole day, and I think that the arrangement overpowers the very basic production values we find here.  Whatever the other judges decide, I think you should work on taking your production skills up a notch so they complement your fun and personalized arrangements better.

YES (borderline)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/08/03 - (1Y) Pokémon Gold Version 'Lucky Coin'
  • 1 month later...

Sweet chip work - got a lot of wanky flavor, and I love it

This is a pretty bouncy mix, though I agree it takes some time to get to the really good parts. Fortunately, that opening part wasn't exactly "boring", either - it has enough flavor on its own to hold people's attention until it gets to the meat of the track.

The chip work is quite awesome - it uses some nice polylines, slides and overall stylistic arpeggios that marks a good chiptune. I think there are enough different leads used throughout that keep listeners on their toes, but I agree that perhaps the track sticks with the chips a little too much throughout.

The production is alright, though far from perfect. The mix sometimes has elements that stick out, such as the synth at 0:54. The drums are fairly boring. The snare is a little quiet, and the sidechaining to give the bass space is a bit distracting. When the snare comes in at 1:17, it has a loud click as it first enters - it sounds like an error with the volume envelop, since it sounds okay for the rest of the strikes. Be careful about moments like that.

It's not perfect - there are certainly things that could be improved, but I agree with Sir_nutS that this is still a really cool arrangement. I think it's just above the bar - hopefully others on here agree with us.

YES

• 1 month later...

The arrangement's creative, and I can see the argument that it carries this, but the production quality here's just below the bar, IMO. The chippy synths were thin and could have used more creative processing for a richer sound, as well as more variation in the sounds. Sir_NutS called the production dry and I agreed there; very basic beat writing as well. I thought the beats/kicks added in at 1:21-2:13 overlapped with some of the other lead instrumentation in the same frequency range.

I wouldn't be mad if this passed as is, but I think Schtiffles would look back at this down the line and hear how it could have been improved. None of the criticisms by themselves were dealbreakers, but they added up for me, particularly the lack of sophistication in the synth production. Add some flavor & variety to this vanilla production with Sir_NutS' and Gario's criticisms in mind.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/08/03 - (2Y/1N) Pokémon Gold Version 'Lucky Coin'
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

Not much to add to what has already been said, the writing and arrangement are cool, tons of creativity.  The synths are vanilla, but they are used well enough for a pass.  I can't see rejecting this based solely on the synth choices, not with a track this creative.  I hope for next time though, you will be able to do more modulation with your sounds and/or get some better synths.  I'm sure whatever you do next will be dynamite, if you do.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/08/03 - (3Y/1N) Pokémon Gold Version 'Lucky Coin'
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll agree that the buildup is a bit long, but I do think that the additional elements and the 'opening up' of the soundscape was pretty fun and while not exactly new, felt interesting and different. I'm also going to agree with the general consensus that the synths overall are a bit vanilla, but I felt like the track changed up and moved around to stay fresh. 

Overall it's a close call, but I think it squeaks by and I'm looking forward to Schtiffles improving in the future!

YES (borderline) 

• Liontamer changed the title to (2015/08/03) *YES - TAG - NEED 192kbps or VBR1* Pokémon Gold Version 'Lucky Coin'
  • Liontamer unpinned and locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic