OCR03384 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 "Judgement-Funkadelic"

Chimpazilla

ReMixer name: sschafi1
E-mail: 

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy VII
Name of arrangement: Judgement-Funkadelic
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Judgement Day

Comments: This is my funk arrangement of Judgement Day, as featured on the album Materia: Final Fantasy VII Remixed

I had a lot of fun recording this with everyone. It was quite an undertaking, mixing in tracks from eight performers and taking a few months to complete. 

The name is a play on the 70s band Parliament-Funkadelic. This is a drastic change in genre from the original, but I wanted to make it fun and also showcase how versatile Uematsu's music can be. We start out with an intro played by the amazing Doug Perry, before transitioning into the "head" of the chart. Marc Papeghin's drum chops suit this style of music very well and lends an impressive foundation for the track. 

The main melody is played through with embellishment and a drum solo transitions us into Felipe Salinas' guitar solo. He takes a chorus and Marc transitions into the very short coda with another feature.  I really hope you enjoy this mix, as it was a great pleasure to produce it :)

Credits (these musicians deserve it):

Marc Papeghin - Drum Set
Nuri Tett - Bass
Doug Perry - Percussion
Fredrik Häthén - Alto Saxophone
Charles Ritz, Dutcher Snedeker - Keyboards
Felipe Salinas - Guitar
David Peacock - Strings

For a 3:24-long track, I needed need 102 seconds of overt source usage for the source to be dominant in the arrangement.

:27-1:38, 1:49.75-2:10, 2:21.25-2:24, 2:42.25-2:59.75 = 113.25 seconds or 55.5%

As far as source usage, there were some more tenuous connections after 2:24 when the piece focused on soloing, so it was actually closer than one would think. Luckily, the string backing from 2:42-2:59 was derived from the backing strings of :15-:18 of the source (then :28-:31 of the source for that last flourish), so that put the source usage over the top.

Just impeccable arrangement and musicianship all-around, and an amazing take on "Judgement Day," there's nothing else to say. Nice work from this collective within the Materia Collective! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/01/15 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 7 'Judgement-Funkadelic'

Excellent work, that percussion is delicious.  Disco strings are on point.  The sax and guitar performances are full of personality and I enjoyed them thoroughly.  The mix is balanced, if you want to listen to anything be it the percussion or the wah guitars, it's all there and clearly audible, but the mix doesn't lose focus of its lead instruments.

Excellent performances all around.  I got nothing, please post.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/01/15 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 7 'Judgement-Funkadelic'

Wow, now this is funkalicious. It's got a whole lot of meat on it - sexy sax, tasty guitar, great drums, backing strings are bodacious... Yes, bodacious is the right word for this arrangement overall.

I can't say anything in the production, as it nails the 70's feel pretty much perfectly. I do feel the intro section (0:00 - 0:24) could've been easily half as long as it was, as it lingers far too long. Once the music really comes in, though, the arrangement is quite awesome. Gotta thank Larry for the source breakdown, it most certainly is close, as far as that goes. I felt a little more connection to the source, though, at moments like 2:10 - 2:22 as well - starting from 1:50, the arrangement plays all the source harmonies in all the right places. As it set those harmonies up from 0:28 - 1:38, it's pretty clear that they're from the prior relatively direct source reference - I almost never lost track of the either the source itself or the presence of the the source, regardless of the soloing. It's not clear cut, but it should be acceptable, regardless. It would've been a safer call had the soloing made use of some more of the source harmony, though.

Loved it, and I'd love to hear more from them.

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to (2016/01/15) *YES - TAG* Final Fantasy 7 'Judgement-Funkadelic'
  • Liontamer locked this topic