ReMixer Name: Tonalysis
Email: 
User ID: 31683

Name of game: Mega Man 2
Name of arrangement: Air Guitar
Name of original song: Air Man Theme
Composers: Takashi Tateishi, Manami Matsumae
Link to original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3sCv-VUYc

Comments: The original is, of course, a classic from the golden age of consoles. I have fond memories of Mega Man 2 on the NES, and even occasionally grab an emulator and play it with my brother for old times' sake. This is a fun remix of the Air Man theme in a driving rock style.

Thanks for considering my remix!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, "Air Guitar", eh? Same name as one of my favorite versions of this track from Muthapluckin' B. I'm sure you didn't know that, but it's pretty interesting that the same name popped in. The more you know! While you don't HAVE to change your track name (as it doesn't conflict with anything on OCR), you might consider it, just so if people look for your track they don't come up with his instead, stealin' your track views.

Anyhow, this is a fairly solid (if standard) rock mix of Air Man, and it hits all of the important points. The arrangement stems from the source, then introduces a bit of soloing and closes it off proper. It sticks close to the source, but introduces some neat changes toward the middle, as well as giving some solid soloing, so it has enough interpretation for OCR, as well. Simple and to the point, and there's nothing wrong with that.

The production and mixing is a bit more sketchy, though. First and foremost, that bass is far too loud - it just dominates the soundscape, and doesn't leave you any room for anything else to come through clearly. The mix doesn't seem to allow for the synth to come through very well, when it carries the theme, nor does it give any space for the pads to come through at all (I missed them completely the first time through, in fact). The drums and rhythm guitar are mixed just about right, with the lead guitar being a bit too loud. The mix as it stands doesn't have the most important elements sticking out appropriately, and it has other elements dominating, which doesn't give you any room to correct this.

The loud bass and leads also contribute to some clipping that comes up from time to time (such as at 1:33, for example). Balancing your mix better will likely reduce the clipping, but you should also master your mix with a little bit of headroom available (~0.5dB) so that you have the space to limit, compress and ultimately master your track so it sounds polished.

The arrangement is alright, but the production and mixing could use some work. Once you fix those issues up I could see this working well on OCR.

NO

I agree with Gario here, the arrangement is alright, very very cool soloing with both the drums and guitars, The arrangement starts conservative then expands the source over time, I like this kind of approach myself, as it keep familiarity intact for the listener but offers new ideas at the same time.

The issues with this song are mostly on the production side, and Gario again is on point here.  The drums are snappy and fat, but the bass is overpowering the rhythm guitars and many other aspects of the mix.  The synth lead is very basic and I think it's too detuned to fit in this song, I think using more than one lead synth could help keep things interesting as well, but the lead needs to be mixed in better, it's not cutting through the mix very well, it's also a big contrast to the guitar performances in that it's lacking in the articulation department.  The master needs to be limited to avoid clipping.

Again your arrangement is solid and I'd be happy to let it through with a better production.

NO (Resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/01/30 - (2N) Mega Man 2 'Air Guitar'
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much more to be said here (again). Greg and Mike got things very well covered. I agree that the arrangement is very nice, the writing stands out to me as being particularly strong during the solos, but the whole arrangement showcases great writing skills for sure.

I also have to agree that the production is deal-breaking, though. The bass is definitely too loud compared to everything else, and the synth lead's sound design is very generic. The general balance feels off, and I recommend rethinking the levels of the mix to try and identify what the priorities are, what should be heard up front, etc.

I'd love to hear this with improved production. I hope you'll rework it!

NO (resubmit)

• DaMonz locked this topic