OCR03470 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Popsicle"

Chimpazilla

ReMixer: James Wong
Email: 
Games arranged: Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Name of Arrangement: Popsicle
Tracks arranged: Ice Cap Zone 1

Link: 

I made this track about half a year ago, and I finally decided to send it to OCRemix. Heavily inspired by Kruai's "Schizophrenic", I tried to give one of the most remixed Sonic tracks my own spin as well - Ice Cap Zone. The source melody was incredibly short, so I tried to improvise on top of the melody without being too repetitive.

-James

• 4 weeks later...

Damn, this is a powerhouse of a track. You really go all out, with that jazz/funk/dubstep fusion in this, it really is pretty amazing you managed to fit what you did and yet have it come out as a coherent piece of music. The source is there, but you transform it in so many ways it never gets boring.

The panning on your e-piano is a bit distracting on headphones. It's fortunately not too extreme, but it's noticeable due to how quickly it pans back and forth. The sidechaining on your theme carrying synth at 0:35 is also a bit of an odd choice, especially considering how much ground it covers with its soloing. Neither of these are dealbreakers - both of these could even be personal preferences on my end, so I can't knock you too much for it.

There are a few production choices that I don't agree with on this one, but it's otherwise very solid, production-wise. I think this is a great track, overall - it's due time for another Icecap remix on this site.

YES

Nice piece of Glitch Hop you got here.  There are a couple distracting things about the production for me, first the release on the sidechaining applied to the lead is too long and tends to noticeably duck the lead melodies for longer than it should, if it was shorter it would allow for the kick to come through but also for the lead melody to not feel like it has wacked dynamics.  Second was the panning on the ep, which, although not as big of a deal, was indeed distracting.

I'm borderline on this one, because the sidechaining really messes things up in some of the busiest sections like at 3:12 and can be solved by either applying a different, shorter release setting to the lead sidechaining, or making it so it doesn't duck on every kick but only on the kicks that form the base of the rhythm.  Overall I think I could pass this because I think the arrangement makes up for it, but this particular production issue bothers me quite a bit.

YES (borderline)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/02/04 - (2Y) Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Popsicle'
  • 3 weeks later...

Not too shabby! I wasn't totally sold on this at first, with the soundscape sounding a little exposed and dry overall, but when the track unexpectedly breaks wide open at 1:30 I was feeling it! Can I call this "glitch-funk?" The electric-piano and other funk/jazz elements juxtapose really nicely with the more traditional, chippy glitch-hop instrumentation. It's so cohesive and pleasing that I'm actually surprised I haven't heard more of this style. 

I'm not gonna retread over the valid critiques that the other two judges brought up. Despite a slightly underwhelming first minute of the track, this definitely found its groove and should be a wonderful addition to our catalog. Nice stuff!

YES

Wow what a cool combination of sounds and styles!  It remains chill even with the heavy wubs. Source well represented with tons of fun interpretation.  This is so creative.

I also happen to love wide panning sounds, and heavy sidechaining.  I agree that the sidechaining on the lead is a little too deep and long, a short shallow sidechain on the lead would work better.  In my own mixes I sidechain everything (except percussion!) but in varying amounts, bass/pads super heavy, leads and backing elements more lightly etc.

Super fun track!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2016/02/04) *YES - TAG - NEED 192kbps or VBR1* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Popsicle'
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Having heard this just now, James really downplayed the extensiveness of the arrangement. Nice job transforming this, even while keeping it relatively melodically conservative. So many great rhythmic changes, and even when the foreground went into more a comping-style approach, the familiar backing chords of the source were always in play. Smart stuff! Welcome, James. :-)

YES