OCR03425 - *YES* Undertale 'That's Not Funny'

DragonAvenger

Really could be DP, just wasn't sure about there being enough source usage. - Deia

Greetings.

Artists: 25682 Detective Tuesday (Anton Corazza),  3860 DrumUltimA (Doug Perry)
  /  
detectivetuesday.com  / dougperrymusic.com

Game- UNDERTALE
Name of arrangement - That's Not Funny
Source - It's Raining Somewhere Else

Comments-

"This time I made me do it. Ha ha ha…….. Indeed, this is the first mix I'm submitting to OCR, so I ought to explain my inspiration in a little more detail this time. 

First off I must credit my friend and neighbor David Higdon for mixing and mastering my arrangement. Got this thing sounding out of this world.

UNDERTALE's a very powerful game. As 'It’s Raining Somewhere Else' played in the background somewhere between chill and sad (lousy description), this combo of emotions I felt towards the in-game dialogue had a depth similarly hard to describe, yet I recall it clearly as this melody. The feeling stuck with me because despite this being a work of fiction, I really just had to sit there at my computer FEELIN'. As artists we try to make the audience to feel something beyond the technical aspects of our respective art forms, and with the immersive experience Toby Fox and co. created, I personally feel this was accomplished to a higher degree than I might've ever thought to ask for. How could we not be inspired?

It's great to have Doug on board. Not only is he a fantastic instrumentalist and a huge UNDERTALE nerd (like me!... the 2nd part at least), it's just always a blast jamming with him, so I knew if I threw some jammable stuff his way he could nail it. His vibes brought awesome depth and emotion to this piece which I couldn’t have achieved without him. And that vibe solo?? Killin' it, Doug. Have mercy.

On my alto sax I referenced multiple UNDERTALE songs which correlate to said dialogue and other major plot elements. As for the blend of organic and electronic instrumentation, let's call it a metaphor for how this electronic game got some SOUL (k I just made that up, 808 kicks just sound hot to me). While I do love cramming motivic easter eggs in my arrangements, I'm trying to make stuff sound good and natural without depending on your knowledge of source materials, so I hope you enjoy this whether or not you've played the game! Now please play the game... Unless you have anything better to do." - Me

"Undertale is a fantastic game with an incredible soundtrack. When Tuesday approached me about playing vibes on this track, I was more than excited. I can't get enough of this soundtrack, and hope to get to do many more projects like this one!" -Doug

-----------------------

• 1 month later...

Well, this IS incredibly good - clean recording, amazing performances from both Detective Tuesday and DrumUltima and it remains solidly grounded in the source throughout while taking more liberties when the both of them jam out. I really can't add much to improve on this, as it's a great arrangement, though there's about ten seconds of straight up silence (even past the resonance of the last note) that should be sliced off of the track.

Since there was a question on source usage, though, I've set up a breakdown as to where the source is, and how it was incorporated:

0:00 - 1:19
Almost straight from source

1:19 - 1:38
Chords are source

1:38 - 1:48
Melody is source

1:57 - 3:13
Chords + Vibes are source

3:13 - 4:30
Chords are source

4:30 - 4:48
Piano takes over vibe source, vibes play melody from source

4:48 - 5:20
Almost straight from source

It easily clears any bar that we have on OCR, from what I can see. Let's post it.

YES

Man, people love this game don't they? I feel like "that guy" for not liking it.  We get a gazillion remixes of this game;  not many are as good as this one though.  The powerful sax performance in this one is really something else, this whole thing sounds like it came right out of film noir, I'm just waiting for the gruff narrator to start talking about the lady in red and the dark corners of the city...  but I digress.  Everything in this mix is done with expert musicianship, I feel the strongest aspect of this mix is the adaptation, but the build down towards the end starting at 04:19 is just genious.  The rainy ambience is something that people overdo but in this song is handled perfectly.  

I could sing praises on this mix forever but people just need to listen to it.  

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/12/27 - (3Y) Undertale 'That's Not Funny'

I really enjoyed this piece. The sparse original song gives you a small glimpse of a world, and their arrangement colors in what's past the border of the picture, letting you see more. It's not gonna win awards for risks, but minimal sources like the original pretty much beg for expansion/jam remixes in this vein, and I always love to hear them. The sax sounded a tiny bit thin for a lead instrument, like maybe the recording wasn't 100% clean, or maybe too much EQ was applied. With the reverb on it, it's fine I think. The soloing and distinctive touches really took this far and made up for any production blemishes.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03425 - *YES* Undertale 'That's Not Funny'