Your userid: 20749

Name of game(s) arranged: Mario Kart 7
Name of arrangement: Rainbow in your Eyes
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Rainbow Road

Link to the original soundtrack:

Link to Remix:

===

Hey OCR,

Here's a short and energetic DnB mix of MK7's Rainbow Road theme.
The original composer did a great job on this one and I hope to do it justice!

My user account on OCR is titled Lampje4life, which was an old nickname, but I'd rather use my real name if that's possible.

Hope to be able to give something back to this amazing community.

Ciao!

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/12/22 - Mario Kart 7 'Rainbow in Your Eyes'
  • 3 weeks later...

This track has some really nice energy behind it, and it never lets up. The textures and synths you use work great against the drum and bass style you've got going, and I'm loving every bit of it. The drums are nice and meaty, too, so great work on the style and presentation.

The arrangement is pretty conservative. I think it has enough change in energy and style to pass regardless, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to incorporate a little bit more personal interpretation - the track cuts it a little close, on being conservative.

The production is a bit questionable. The leads that carry the themes get drown by the rest of the track, and the entire thing sounds pretty overcompressed. You've got about -3dB of headroom, so fortunately there's plenty of space that you could decompress the track with. The ending also cuts off a bit. You may have been going for a clean cut off at the end, there, which would've been alright, or you might've wanted the delay to play out on that last synth, which would've also been okay. Cutting off the delay midway sounds like a mistake, so it should be corrected.

Overall, I think it's a great track, but it needs to be decompressed, and your leads need to be mixed more to the front without disrupting the other instruments. Do that, and fix the ending, and I could see this being posted.

NO

Once again Gario nailed it.  The track does sound overcompressed, ease up on that final limiter at least by raising the limit to 0 or -0.1 or so but -3 is a bit too much.  The leads are indeed drowned out.  The drum shuffle is getting lost in distortion as well.  Decompressing the track should fix all of this and give it more dynamics overall.  You've got some lovely purposeful distortion/bitcrushing going here but the overcompression is causing it to lose impact. 

And yes please fix the ending.  You don't have much of an ending written there, but even if you leave it as-is, you've got to at least render to the end of the final delay tail.

NO (resubmit please)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/12/22 - (2N) Mario Kart 7 'Rainbow in Your Eyes'

Very cool submission marred by ill-advised mix and mastering choices.  Sections like 1:50 get too lost in the noise and distortion (and are a bit resonant as well), and the lead basically disappears in the mix most of the time.  It's such a wall of sound that it ends up not making much sense most of the time.   I liked the DnB drums, but I think more could've been done with them to make them interesting.  I feel interpretation is enough for me though other Js may think different.  The ending cuts off.

Gario and Kris have some good advice to follow if you want to resub, but it mostly comes down to loosening your master by a substantial amount.  Distortion as an effect works ok but could also be toned down as well.

NO (resubmit)